Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 11:17 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Why should the person remove the post? The poster seems to have a certain experience with it so I think he/ she should be allowed to post what they have observed...
That post is double hearsay from people who have an axe to grind at the very best. Under that name at least, that poster has only made a couple of posts on CD and each one has been negative regarding Hockaday.

Hockaday did not become a top girl's school by admitting lots of non-qualified legacies and non-qualified minorities via quotas. Hockaday sporting a class average SAT score of roughly 2,100 ("middle fifty" 640-760 CR, 640-760 M, 670-780W) along with half the class being either NMSF (20) or MNSF commended (25) would be utterly impossible if so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 12:19 PM

303 posts, read 364,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Hockaday did not become a top girl's school by admitting lots of non-qualified legacies and non-qualified minorities via quotas. Hockaday sporting a class average SAT score of roughly 2,100 ("middle fifty" 640-760 CR, 640-760 M, 670-780W) along with half the class being either NMSF (20) or MNSF commended (25) would be utterly impossible if so.
Again, a rising tide lifts all ships. Hockaday can certainly pick and choose amongst the best qualified girls (whatever that really means in lower school admissions is subjective at best). But I guarantee you that slots for girls are going to be carved out for that new top CEO transplant's daughters, a highly respected academia's child, or another highly influential legacy family. It is just the truth. Top tier schools doesn't build a multi-million dollar endowment without catering to those families. Period. These schools have dedicated offices that do nothing but insure that the endowment grows.

I currently live in Montana and have my kids in public schools, but I have had my children in a top Texas private school, and will be returning to Texas this year and rinsing and repeating. I know the drill.

Furthermore, there is a subset of private school parents that send their kids to the top-tier privates mostly for academics, but to also further their business and social contacts. Many will explicitly tell you so. Top tier private school family communities are very close knit for two reasons, most run in the same social circles, and many constantly need peer reinforcement to help them overcome the pain of writing a 20K check per child every year, not to mention the pressure to contribute above and beyond the tuition for advancing the endowment of the schools.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:27 PM

303 posts, read 364,524 times
To further this thought. For those parents that are able to overcome the obstacles to getting their children in a top-tier school (who are otherwise not wealthy or run in tight knit wealthy social circles) getting admitted is an enourmously proud moment.

So, you'll see folks like "HockDad" who basically fight to the end of earth to reassure themselves that their decision to spend the money is worth it by bowing down to the holy grail that is now a huge significant portion of their financial and social life. I mean, his username is "HockDad" and most of his posts here revolve around Dallas top-tier private schools.

Now, don't get me wrong because I tremendously respect HockDad and his posts because they are enormously helpful and accurate. But, I think it is important to note that many families really get themselves wrapped up into the private school process - so much so that it becomes a mini obsession of sorts. Trust me, I know

Just be glad we don't live in NYC. There is a great documentary about private school admissions there:

Nursery University (2008) - IMDb

Old 03-21-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
Again, a rising tide lifts all ships. Hockaday can certainly pick and choose amongst the best qualified girls (whatever that really means in lower school admissions is subjective at best). But I guarantee you that slots for girls are going to be carved out for that new top CEO transplant's daughters, a highly respected academia's child, or another highly influential legacy family. It is just the truth. Top tier schools doesn't build a multi-million dollar endowment without catering to those families. Period. These schools have dedicated offices that do nothing but insure that the endowment grows.

I currently live in Montana and have my kids in public schools, but I have had my children in a top Texas private school, and will be returning to Texas this year and rinsing and repeating. I know the drill.

Furthermore, there is a subset of private school parents that send their kids to the top-tier privates mostly for academics, but to also further their business and social contacts. Many will explicitly tell you so. Top tier private school family communities are very close knit for two reasons, most run in the same social circles, and many constantly need peer reinforcement to help them overcome the pain of writing a 20K check per child every year, not to mention the pressure to contribute above and beyond the tuition for advancing the endowment of the schools.
I agree with all of that. I've paid for two private school educations here in North Dallas.

And no question CEOs kids, athlete's kids, rich investors kids etc. get in all the time. However, it's bogus to assume all, or even more than just a few of those kids, are slackers. It does these schools no good to admit kids no matter their parent's standing who cannot make it.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
To further this thought. For those parents that are able to overcome the obstacles to getting their children in a top-tier school (who are otherwise not wealthy or run in tight knit wealthy social circles) getting admitted is an enourmously proud moment.

So, you'll see folks like "HockDad" who basically fight to the end of earth to reassure themselves that their decision to spend the money is worth it by bowing down to the holy grail that is now a huge significant portion of their financial and social life. I mean, his username is "HockDad" and most of his posts here revolve around Dallas top-tier private schools.

Now, don't get me wrong because I tremendously respect HockDad and his posts because they are enormously helpful and accurate. But, I think it is important to note that many families really get themselves wrapped up into the private school process - so much so that it becomes a mini obsession of sorts. Trust me, I know

Just be glad we don't live in NYC. There is a great documentary about private school admissions there:

With respect, and I don't know him other than through his CD posts, Hockdad does not need to reassure himself of anything vis a vis his family's school choices for his kids.
What gets annoying is people, absolutely not you BTW, literally making things up and posting that nonsnese as fact - happens a lot this time of year.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:55 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,297,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'm curious since I've never dealt with these types of schools.

Do they look at the parents status and job as much as they do the kids ?
The parents are unquestionably well educated. At one point, many years ago, I counted the number of doctors, lawyers, and MBAs out of 96 parents (48 kids at the time). The numbers were off the chart. Numerous stay at home moms were former lawyers, doctors, business execs.

Many of the parents were not wealthy (JDs working at government jobs, doctors working at non-profits, etc.), but they were almost all well credentialed.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:09 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,297,678 times
Quote:

My posts generally involve Dallas private schools because that is the one subject on this board that I feel qualified to opine with some degree of certainty. I don't know crap about the schools in Flower Mound, the best foundation, a mechanic in Lewisville, or a good doctor in Denton. But I do know something about private schools. If the Board wants to discuss MLPs or Pac 10 sports I will be happy to chime in as well.

Further, I don't need to reassure myself of anything, especially on this board. My two girls are thriving at Hockaday. They are happy, confident, and obtaining a good education. My son is doing great at his school (a school that has never been named so that I can remain anonymous). One of my two girls would have been fine at HPISD, but I am not sure about the other one. She is quiet, reserved, a little geeky, not an athlete, and thinks cheerleading is stupid. Those attitudes are fine at Hockaday, but I am not sure they would have been popular at Highland Park.

Finally, thank you for the kind words. They are appreciated and I do try to post accurate posts. The private school process is confusing and stressful and I hope that I can help just a little bit.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
We had no connections. In fact, we did not know one soul who attended. My oldest daughter got in on merit. That being said, alumni, siblings, and minorities do get a "slight" preference.

I would attend the summer camp. They are great, plus you will get a better feel for the school. Moreover, many of the regular teachers also teach the camps. Finally, it shows, to some extent, you lever of interest.

I agree. My daughter attended camp. On her admissions test date, as luck would have it, her camp teacher was assisting the group of applicants. She remembered my daughter, and I think that put her at ease. She also got into Hockaday for 2014- so being familiar with the school beforehand certainly cannot hurt.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:49 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
... If the Board wants to discuss MLPs or Pac 10 sports I will be happy to chime in as well.
My FIL is completely in love in MLPs, in spite of being burned more than once by cut distributions.

Frankly, I can't quite wrap my head around how they work long-term. But the cash flow statements for some of these players scare me.

Aren't many MLPs generating, not just CapEx, but also a good chunk of their current distributions, by either diluting the firm (through stock issuance) or levering the firm (through debt issuance)? Doesn't this make the investment less valuable and/or increasingly risky as the investment is held?

And aren't they exploiting temporary book-tax depreciation differences that will eventually reverse, leaving someone holding the bag?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,399 times
You never know who will accept or decide elsewhere. Unfortunately, the amount of applicants are so much more than placements. If hockaday is your first choice, keep applying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas