Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 03:38 PM

235 posts, read 347,714 times

Advertisements

Speeding is never an issue in dallas because you can't speed even if you wanted to. All lanes are usually blocked by slow drivers so you can't speed even if you want to.

Speaking of traffic lights, when are they going to update the traffic lights on Dallas Parkway? Every big city I've ever been to (with the exception of Dallas, of course) uses traffic lights with sensors, so if there is no one waiting in the intersections, the main street traffic doesn't have to stop. In Dallas Parkway, they use timed lights with no sensors, so even if you are on the road at 2 am with absolutely no traffic, you still catch several red lights, sitting and waiting in your car for absolutely no reason. Dallas is the only city you'll sit under a red light in one of the main streets at 2 am for absolutely no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 04:40 PM

23 posts, read 39,942 times
I appreciate everyone's insights! And NAvery, glad to know I'm not the only one who has had to adjust (and thanks for the tip on the school zones!)!

I suppose my follow-up question is, what constitutes "violating the red" here? Say there's only one car waiting in the intersection, and there's traffic up until the time the light turns yellow. The waiting car then turns, probably as the light is turning/has just turned red, but it hasn't impeded any traffic to this point or will thereafter if the turn is completed just as the other cars are starting to come off the line. Heck, in Chicago, the ticketing scheme where red light cameras are in use absolutely allow cars to be in the intersection when the light is already red.

I can certainly see where extra caution should be taken at the 6-8 lane intersections like I encountered in Plano. However, it seems that a straight "no turn on red" light would be best at those. But this spills over to smaller intersections that aren't as busy. I've even had two people not proceed on their green, apparently waiting for me to make a turn when there's no longer an arrow. That hesitation can/does cause more of a disruption in traffic than a single car waiting to turn.

I've driven in countless other cities in North America, and have never seen this anywhere else. Does anyone know if this practice is particular to Texas, or even just to Dallas? All that said, I respect the customs of the citizenry and will surely alter my driving habits in order to conform the best I can.

bigdaddycool, as far as not being able to speed even if I wanted to, I'm just talking about driving over the speed limit, not at whatever astronomical rate of speed I can/want to go.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:00 PM

54 posts, read 84,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycool1111 View Post
Speeding is never an issue in dallas because you can't speed even if you wanted to. All lanes are usually blocked by slow drivers so you can't speed even if you want to.
Compared to Chicago, there is a lot more open and wide highway here in Dallas for speeding. Traffic outside of 635 is pretty light compared to what I saw in the similar areas of Chicago (outside of the down town area).

Old 04-20-2014, 05:08 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,887,779 times
Mr. 1111 misrepresents highway speeds in the area. I'm constantly getting mowed down on Central Expressway and I'm routinely going 9 over the limit.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:38 AM

20 posts, read 24,756 times
I'm from Chicago and I've been living in Uptown for a few months with my husband who is from NY. We have both lived in a few different cities and when people ask me about drivers here, I can't explain it. Maybe the suburbs are different but drivers in and around the city of Dallas don't really obey rules. I've seen people go through reds, turn on reds, almost hit people, almost hit cars, and I've seen multiple accidents occur. We actually saw an accident where there were several cops and not one was directing traffic so no one knew where to go so really it was like waiting for another accident to happen. There are no signs anywhere to indicate when lanes go from 3 lanes to 4 or vice versa. No signs to indicate when lanes are closed ahead so if by chance a lane is closed you will know when you come to the intersection and you can't move. I have seen signs that say "Lane Closed Ahead" and there is no closure. People pull out into the intersection and you have to hope you don't get hit. I've driven in LA and downtown Chicago during winter and lane closures and I've never been more frightened than driving down here. My husband has driven in Manhattan and Boston during rush hour and this traffic takes the cake. It's really like driving in Europe where people just go when they want and obey whatever rules they want. Again, maybe the suburbs are different but if you are driving in the city, be careful.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:55 AM

262 posts, read 469,419 times
Quote:
You must not have driven on US75....Most of the drivers are doing 75+ in the left lane....Sometimes I even get a stare for driving 60-65 in the right lane....

Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 AM

19,898 posts, read 18,186,485 times
Quote:

Speaking of traffic lights, when are they going to update the traffic lights on Dallas Parkway? Every big city I've ever been to (with the exception of Dallas, of course) uses traffic lights with sensors, so if there is no one waiting in the intersections, the main street traffic doesn't have to stop. In Dallas Parkway, they use timed lights with no sensors, so even if you are on the road at 2 am with absolutely no traffic, you still catch several red lights, sitting and waiting in your car for absolutely no reason. Dallas is the only city you'll sit under a red light in one of the main streets at 2 am for absolutely no reason.
Hey Metro Matt it's good to have you back.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:02 AM

631 posts, read 887,535 times
I don't do it, and I hate when entitled people behind me honk at me for not doing it. If you're in such a rush to get somewhere, you should have left your house earlier.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM

19,898 posts, read 18,186,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaGONER View Post
I appreciate everyone's insights! And NAvery, glad to know I'm not the only one who has had to adjust (and thanks for the tip on the school zones!)!

I suppose my follow-up question is, what constitutes "violating the red" here? Say there's only one car waiting in the intersection, and there's traffic up until the time the light turns yellow. The waiting car then turns, probably as the light is turning/has just turned red, but it hasn't impeded any traffic to this point or will thereafter if the turn is completed just as the other cars are starting to come off the line. Heck, in Chicago, the ticketing scheme where red light cameras are in use absolutely allow cars to be in the intersection when the light is already red.

I can certainly see where extra caution should be taken at the 6-8 lane intersections like I encountered in Plano. However, it seems that a straight "no turn on red" light would be best at those. But this spills over to smaller intersections that aren't as busy. I've even had two people not proceed on their green, apparently waiting for me to make a turn when there's no longer an arrow. That hesitation can/does cause more of a disruption in traffic than a single car waiting to turn.

I've driven in countless other cities in North America, and have never seen this anywhere else. Does anyone know if this practice is particular to Texas, or even just to Dallas? All that said, I respect the customs of the citizenry and will surely alter my driving habits in order to conform the best I can.

bigdaddycool, as far as not being able to speed even if I wanted to, I'm just talking about driving over the speed limit, not at whatever astronomical rate of speed I can/want to go.
I'm willing to learn if I'm wrong. However, state law clearly allows creeping out into the intersection for left turns. I do it all the time and have never received a red light ticket for doing so as mentioned by some others above.

Don't pay much attention to bigdaddycool, he's almost certainly a Dallas hating poster who usually goes by the username MertoMatt. His posts about no one driving over the speed limit on the tollway are total gibberish. Are there too many slow driving lane cloggers in to the left and center on the tollway - sure. Is it a rampant trip ruining problem. absolutely not.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:40 AM

5,268 posts, read 6,423,901 times
I agree with EDS that it's not illegal to left lane creep, but it doesn't seem to be useful to me and can be dangerous (too much head on crash potential), so I don't do it. Dallas area traffic just isn't heavy enough to justify it right now. It's pretty rare that you will have to wait more than 2 rounds to turn, and there are dedicated left turn arrows at most major intersections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: