Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:21 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taligrm View Post
Hey there,
We are a family about to relocate to the area from Israel this summer. I have 2 questions:
1. How long does it take on average to apply/get approved for mortgage here? I heard it can take up to 3 months??
2. Reading a lot about Plano public schools. Will need a good elementary for our son. I'm focused on two main area in Plano - 75093 and 75024. But I also hear that the market is crazy and we have to consider the possibility of not finding a house in those areas. So what are good alternative areas with good schools? Either in Plano or in other cities like Richardson, Allen or Frisco... Budget is 300k for a house. Husband will work in Richardson.

Thanks.
Some input from me. We just bought a house. Currently renting in the 75093 zipcode, bought in the 75024 area. Our new house feeds into some of the top notch schools around here. If you are looking for a rental, our current house is on the market right now. To address your questions:

1. As others have said, it depends. I would listen carefully to your realtor since they can give you the names of some good lenders. We went with Wells Fargo which is hard to deal with but that is who we bank with and they've been good on other stuff. I haven't kept an exact count but we are going on 30 days now and should be done today or tomorrow. We have great credit and are putting down more than 20%. It has been a pretty rough road and although we are getting great rates, they are really a PITA. Listen to your realtor and go with the easiest one.

2. The market is crazy and be prepared to make an offer fast if you find something you like. You should be able to find a house within your price range in those zip codes. There are some lovely older neighborhoods around my son's school that has houses under 300k but the houses are a bit smaller. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:28 AM

73 posts, read 183,056 times
I agree with others above that you should look at Richardson. JJ Pearce or Richardson HS magnet attendance areas are good - $300k will get you a very nice house in the Reservation neighborhood (bounded by Coit Road on W, Arapaho on S, Waterview on E and Campbell on N). There will be some good options in that range in Canyon Creek and the eastern part of Arapaho Heights neighborhoods as well. And, that will get your husband closer to work (and your family closer to central Dallas).

Old 06-06-2014, 09:09 AM

212 posts, read 410,010 times
Those are nice areas in Richardson, but not a lot of inventory and it is very competitive. In the OP's position, I would get a feel for what my budget would do in Richardson/Plano and maybe even Sachse/Murphy depending on where the job is, check out the school situation, find a place to rent and talk to a mortgage lender pronto to figure out where I actually stood.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:01 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanyMalone View Post
Those are nice areas in Richardson, but not a lot of inventory and it is very competitive.
Which is the exact same situation they are going to encounter in most of Plano....

Old 06-06-2014, 12:09 PM

19 posts, read 21,736 times
Default Thanks again

Many good tips here. We are currently looking at elementary schools, not high-school...
Will have to check out Frisco and Allen too.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:40 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taligrm View Post
Many good tips here. We are currently looking at elementary schools, not high-school...
Will have to check out Frisco and Allen too.
Typically when you have an excellent high school, it is the culmination of a great K-8th "feeder" pattern where all schools are outstanding.

If you are considering the DFW area for a long-term move, you will want to look in areas with great high schools because there is more of a guarantee that all grades will be good. There are many areas where the elementary schools are good but it does not translate to strong middle and high schools. Just something to be aware of while you scout out schools and neighborhoods.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:14 PM

19 posts, read 21,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Typically when you have an excellent high school, it is the culmination of a great K-8th "feeder" pattern where all schools are outstanding.

If you are considering the DFW area for a long-term move, you will want to look in areas with great high schools because there is more of a guarantee that all grades will be good. There are many areas where the elementary schools are good but it does not translate to strong middle and high schools. Just something to be aware of while you scout out schools and neighborhoods.

Well, haven't thought about that at all so good point. Thank you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas