Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:01 PM

954 posts, read 1,549,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
This.

I was behind a gasoline hauler on Marsh yesterday and a man in a small car was texting and driving erratically as he passed me. He drifted over into the gas hauler and bounced off the rear tires on the trailer and spun out.

I let the responding officer know what I saw.
It's truly amazing how some people are so indifferent to the risks of actually potentially losing their lives when driving carelessly/recklessly in little cars while moving among much larger traffic on the roads/freeways ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 01:34 PM

631 posts, read 884,567 times
This is why I'm so excited for self driving cars. People are just so awful at driving, and in addition to the risk of dying, you risk losing money, and having to deal with the stressful bureaucracy at the insurance companies. It just makes the whole experience annoying.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:45 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,402,042 times
It seems like 75 gets a lot of accidents because DFW as a whole has a lot of highways and roadways attributable to its sprawl:
Network Length: 57,202 miles
Network Highways:1,634 miles
Non-highways: 55,568 miles
Vehicle Miles Travelled in 2013: 28,529,608

It has more highways and more roadway miles total than LA; the only metro that comes close in road mileage is NYC. DFW is about 2-5X of most US metro areas greater than 800k population in terms of network length.

It's also one top 10 or so metros for vehicle miles travelled. As a result of this many miles available, the congestion isn't particularly bad, but you spend a lot of time driving (increase in accidents #1), and mostly driving relatively fast (increase in accidents #2).

Compare for yourself with the 2014 TomTom Traffic report:
http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...Wj2PLgWD9SmF1Q

Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,556,577 times
Quote:
I use 75 a lot, but there is always trouble around exits 1-3. Way too many lane changes necessary to get to your desired route, plus oncoming traffic makes this area ripe for accidents.
Very true.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:49 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
This.

I was behind a gasoline hauler on Marsh yesterday and a man in a small car was texting and driving erratically as he passed me. He drifted over into the gas hauler and bounced off the rear tires on the trailer and spun out.

I let the responding officer know what I saw.
I wish I could have heard if the guy lied to the cops. So many here swerve in and out of their lanes regularly. Must be texting. There can't possibly be that many folks drunk in the daytime.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:39 PM

249 posts, read 330,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
It's truly amazing how some people are so indifferent to the risks of actually potentially losing their lives when driving carelessly/recklessly in little cars while moving among much larger traffic on the roads/freeways ?
The invention of cars is so recent in human history so unfortunately people with retarded driving gene haven't all died out yet... but someday they will...

Old 07-09-2014, 08:46 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,493,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
I wish I could have heard if the guy lied to the cops. So many here swerve in and out of their lanes regularly. Must be texting. There can't possibly be that many folks drunk in the daytime.
Saw a woman on the toll road going about 40 mph, swerving around. She was texting with her right hand and steering with her left, holding a cigarette. Seriously?

Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Saw a woman on the toll road going about 40 mph, swerving around. She was texting with her right hand and steering with her left, holding a cigarette. Seriously?
Ugh, people like that make me sick.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:37 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSiczpak View Post
>Does anyone have any insight as to why this is the case?

ATT, Verizon, Sprint all own majority holdings in auto body and paint shops.
HaHaHaHa lol

Old 07-10-2014, 09:53 AM

382 posts, read 628,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
It seems like 75 gets a lot of accidents because DFW as a whole has a lot of highways and roadways attributable to its sprawl:
Network Length: 57,202 miles
Network Highways:1,634 miles
Non-highways: 55,568 miles
Vehicle Miles Travelled in 2013: 28,529,608

It has more highways and more roadway miles total than LA; the only metro that comes close in road mileage is NYC. DFW is about 2-5X of most US metro areas greater than 800k population in terms of network length.

It's also one top 10 or so metros for vehicle miles travelled. As a result of this many miles available, the congestion isn't particularly bad, but you spend a lot of time driving (increase in accidents #1), and mostly driving relatively fast (increase in accidents #2).

Compare for yourself with the 2014 TomTom Traffic report:
http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...Wj2PLgWD9SmF1Q
Thanks for the link. Very interesting to see how DFW compares to other cities worldwide! DFW fares rather well, even with many much smaller cities.

I would like to see stats on accidents per mile traveled to get a real sense of apples to apples proportion before I could say the answer to the OP's question is related to the number of miles of roadway.

I have my beefs about DFW driving (particularly the left lane bandits), but I've not found it particularly worse than in other US cities. Only one thing I notice more of in DFW is on the wide boulevards, people frequently like to make wide turns (illegal btw, it is supposed to be lane to lane - e.g. right lane to right most lane; left lane to left most lane). It gets particularly egregious when they cut across three lanes on their turn, preventing you from turning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas