Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 10:42 AM

81 posts, read 111,140 times

Advertisements

Evidently we are now in a seller's market. I talked to a homeowner in our subdivision the other day, he said it took 3 days to sell his house, and they got more than they asked for the house. The realtor told me via email that they had backup offers as well.

My question is this: How does new construction affect the seller's market?

Here is the situation, in our zip code, 75071, we have had almost 0 new contruction for a long time, maybe 5 years. Now we have two subdivisions coming in. One has a big kickoff next weekend. They are advertising Beazer and Ashton Woods starting at the low 200s. The really big news for my subdivision is that the subdivision is advertising a new McKinney ISD school in the subdivision.

This subdivision is probably about 2.5 to 3 miles north of where I live. Obviously I'm hoping the new school could swoop down and pull us in their attendance zone, but even if we didn't land in the new school zone, we might possibly land back where we used to be zoned, Vega Elementary, which is about 1.8 miles from our house. The important thing about Vega is that there are no highways or big streets to cross. We are currently zoned for Press, which is across highway 75 on the east side of McKinney. Mapquest lists Press about 1.7 miles from our house.

For re-sale purposes, if we could compete with the new subdivision in terms of features inside the house, such as flooring, countertops, bathroom, etc. I think we might possibly come close to commanding the $ per square foot, because of our proximity to schools, grades 6-12. We are within walking distance to grades 6-12.

Back to the new subdivision. My forecast is that the homes will sell for between $100 and $125 per square foot. Wow!

Once that subdivision fills in, I wonder if we will be able to get maybe 80-85% of that subdivsion's pricing?

If so, then $85 per square foot would be like gold.

The other subdivision is even closer to ours, but it is further away from construction. I'm guessing they are a year away, so that might have a bigger impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 02:54 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
What subdivision was this in? My wife and I are looking to move to a larger home, the few homes that we like but have found too late are being snatched up extremely quickly and are already under contract by the time we found them. This is in the 400-$550k range.

All in all... it's a fast paced market no matter the price point, except for homes in the $700+ range. Those stay on the market a bit longer, but then again, there's a lot less people who can afford them so it makes sense. We may put an offer in on Monday, we know we can't wait long or we'll lose out on another good one.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:09 PM

81 posts, read 111,140 times
The home that sold was in Creek Hollow, which is a Fox and Jacobs neighborhood. That home is 2703 s. f. and sold for 200k.

Walking the other day, I noticed another home that had a sign that read "coming soon". It's a 2 story, probably at least 2306 s.f.

The subdivision next to us is a higher end subdivision, Timber Creek, and has several homes for sale. That neighborhood appears to be jinxed, no home seems to sell there. They are mostly 2000+ s.f. homes built around 2008.

The subdivision with the new homes is Trinity Falls. However, remember it is not near anything at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas