Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:56 PM

875 posts, read 1,094,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
North Dallas = frisco, plano, allen, McKinney, assorted 'burbs like that for the purposes of this thread. Not necessarily north dallas proper as in city of Dallas.
Actually no, theyr'e not north Dallas, they're in an entirely seperate county. Maybe north metroplex, but not north Dallas.

As a Plano resident, who lives in Collin County (no offense to you personally), I get really tired of people trying to lay claim to every square mile surrounding Dallas.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:20 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
It's the same freaking thing, I get tired of telling people back home about the cities in collin co. and everyone looks at me like So i would just say north Dallas and eveyone gets it. LOL Afterall it's Dallas that is the financial power in that metroplex.
So, for example, it's like telling people you live in South Los Angeles when you really live in Orange County?

Old 01-06-2008, 06:11 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,678,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Actually no, theyr'e not north Dallas, they're in an entirely seperate county. Maybe north metroplex, but not north Dallas.

As a Plano resident, who lives in Collin County (no offense to you personally), I get really tired of people trying to lay claim to every square mile surrounding Dallas.
i understand the difference, it's nothing personal. but for arguments sake I am interchanging "Dallas" for "DFW Metroplex." There is no need to worry about civic encroachment here

Old 01-06-2008, 06:14 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,678,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
So, for example, it's like telling people you live in South Los Angeles when you really live in Orange County?
Lots of people from OC will tell folks in other parts of the country they are from "L.A." It's easier than trying to explain where Cypress or Fountain Valley are. I'm from the city of L.A. proper and while I think the idea of OC being considered "L.A." is a joke, I can understand why people would refer to OC as "L.A." in certain conversations.

And I'm proud that when I tell people I live in Dallas, I actually live in the city of Dallas not the 'burbs!

Old 01-06-2008, 06:27 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,070,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Lots of people from OC will tell folks in other parts of the country they are from "L.A." It's easier than trying to explain where Cypress or Fountain Valley are. I'm from the city of L.A. proper and while I think the idea of OC being considered "L.A." is a joke, I can understand why people would refer to OC as "L.A." in certain conversations.

And I'm proud that when I tell people I live in Dallas, I actually live in the city of Dallas not the 'burbs!
Most people in the DFW area claim to be from Dallas, when they're in another city. The metro area is what stands out in people's mental maps. Believe me, more people in the world know where Dallas is than know about Coppell or Keller or Southlake.

Proud to live inside the Dallas city limits? I don't know why that should be a factor. I don't know what the Dallas city council does that is better than the Plano or Irving city council.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,070,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Well ... that's the other standard response to high crime rates: You have to count the crime stats a different way. At a certain point, it gets a little silly, IMO.

If you have to rely upon the same police department, and all of their time and resources are eaten up by high crime ... regardless of which part of the city it's concentrated in ... I still think that's detrimental to the community overall for obvious reasons.

Afterall ... either the police aren't doing their job very well (hence the higher crime) ... and that's obviously not good for the community. Or, they have no budget or resources to fight the crime effectively ... and that's not good for the community either (especially when you need them).

Either way, it doesn't change the fact that your city has a much higher than average crime problem.
That's not a fact, that's an opinion. Plus, the FBI says that it's meaningless to compare one police department's crime numbers against another, because of the incompatability of cities' crime reporting procedures, among other reasons.

Just like any other center city in the 10 most populous meros, Dallas has safe areas and dangerous ones.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:29 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,151,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post

Eh...Dallasites don't like it when Siberia (the northern burbs) are referred to as "Dallas" either.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:31 PM

875 posts, read 1,094,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Eh...Dallasites don't like it when Siberia (the northern burbs) are referred to as "Dallas" either.
Then why do they continually do it?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,636,777 times
Quote:
After moving to Dallas and living there for some time. What were the things you wished you knew before you moved? What shocked you the most about the area? And knowing what you know now would you still have moved to Dallas. And if not why? Thanks.
....ahem....now that the IE/OC/LA vs Dallas and it's 'burbs thingy has been resolved can we go ahead and swing the conversation in some other direction.... just for the sake of the OP if nothing else

Old 01-06-2008, 11:22 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,807,211 times
LoL... da jammer, sometimes your "title" is right on and befitting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas