Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 10:56 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

The 'Addison type' is different from the 'Uptown type' for sure.

I think the OP should visit both areas and decide for themselves! They're both good suggestions but only the OP can really determine what works for him/her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 12:09 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I think the OP should visit both areas and decide for themselves! They're both good suggestions but only the OP can really determine what works for him/her.
Right! If anything, I would say the Uptown type is more recent college graduate/20's. The OP said he/she was single and in his/her 30's, which you will find a whole lot of in Addison. But even if the "types" are different, both areas are geared toward young professionals under 40. So like you said, it's up to the OP to decide. I just didn't want him or her to think that Uptown was the only thing out there for young single professionals, like so many try to make it out to be.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:29 AM

988 posts, read 1,828,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycool1111 View Post
Addison is one of the worst places to live in all of DFW apart from the ghetto parts in South Dallas.
You are kidding, right? You're trying to equate Addison with the "ghetto parts in South Dallas"? Yeah, that's why Whole Foods opened a store in the area - they always pick ghetto low-income crime-ridden neighborhoods to open stores selling $7.00 cartons of milk, 147 kinds of imported cheese and ground beef from grass-fed cows...the ghetto is obviously Whole Foods target market...

If you want to argue Addison lacks the oh-so-sophisticated and urbane feel of Uptown, I'll give that to you. It definitely has a more suburban feel and may not be exactly what the OP is looking, but it does have a good number of young professionals (who may be $30k millionaires, but that's a somewhat different discussion).

It may be a compromise to being in Uptown with a longer drive to Frisco. Seriously...if the OP is living in Uptown and spending a bunch more time in a car to get to Frisco, is he going to have that much time to enjoy all the urbanity and coolness of Uptown? Maybe instead think about a bit of compromise to spend less time in a car and go to Uptown a couple nights a week when he's ready for all that is Uptown, while having Addison on those nights when he doesn't need Uptown and sitting at home anyway?

Let's not be a d**k and give the impression to the OP (who doesn't seem to have much impression of the area) that Addison has gangs roaming the streets and graffiti strewn everywhere.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:55 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
You are kidding, right? You're trying to equate Addison with the "ghetto parts in South Dallas"? Yeah, that's why Whole Foods opened a store in the area - they always pick ghetto low-income crime-ridden neighborhoods to open stores selling $7.00 cartons of milk, 147 kinds of imported cheese and ground beef from grass-fed cows...the ghetto is obviously Whole Foods target market...

If you want to argue Addison lacks the oh-so-sophisticated and urbane feel of Uptown, I'll give that to you. It definitely has a more suburban feel and may not be exactly what the OP is looking, but it does have a good number of young professionals (who may be $30k millionaires, but that's a somewhat different discussion).

It may be a compromise to being in Uptown with a longer drive to Frisco. Seriously...if the OP is living in Uptown and spending a bunch more time in a car to get to Frisco, is he going to have that much time to enjoy all the urbanity and coolness of Uptown? Maybe instead think about a bit of compromise to spend less time in a car and go to Uptown a couple nights a week when he's ready for all that is Uptown, while having Addison on those nights when he doesn't need Uptown and sitting at home anyway?

Let's not be a d**k and give the impression to the OP (who doesn't seem to have much impression of the area) that Addison has gangs roaming the streets and graffiti strewn everywhere.
Very well said!!!

Old 09-14-2014, 06:16 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Uptown is a little more walkable and vibrant than Addison.

Speaking in general terms, I think it would be tough to be new to a region, not in a long term relationship, and living in a suburb, which is why I think Uptown would be a better choice. It is also far from ideal that the first job is located in Frisco.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:00 AM

230 posts, read 398,541 times
Default Yep

Quote:

This is the most helpful advice to OP so far, IMHO . I know ppl mean well, but I would be so confused by now if I've never lived in the area at all. If the OP will work in Frisco then living somewhere really far and commiting yourself to a really ugly commute will take a huge bite out of OP's enjoyment of life. Just go and visit Frisco Mall or any other public place in surrounding area. You'll see that ppl around you are not exactly all "church lady" types. There are plenty points of interests right here in Collin County for folks of all shapes, sizes, colors with or without families. I'd say, OP, live close to your work! It's likely you'll find ppl just like yourself around here. Your commute to Dallas on weekends could be far shorter and more enjoyable than the other way around 5 days a week. Of course, I don't know what your work schedule will be, but assuming it's M-F 9-5 type of deal just rent in Frisco, Allen, Plano or McKinney and get used to the area. If you decide that the only place under the sun for you is in Uptown then you can make that move. But I highly doubt you'd chose that over sanity.

Best of luck on your relocation.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:43 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydoc View Post
This is the most helpful advice to OP so far, IMHO . I know ppl mean well, but I would be so confused by now if I've never lived in the area at all. If the OP will work in Frisco then living somewhere really far and commiting yourself to a really ugly commute will take a huge bite out of OP's enjoyment of life. Just go and visit Frisco Mall or any other public place in surrounding area. You'll see that ppl around you are not exactly all "church lady" types. There are plenty points of interests right here in Collin County for folks of all shapes, sizes, colors with or without families. I'd say, OP, live close to your work! It's likely you'll find ppl just like yourself around here. Your commute to Dallas on weekends could be far shorter and more enjoyable than the other way around 5 days a week. Of course, I don't know what your work schedule will be, but assuming it's M-F 9-5 type of deal just rent in Frisco, Allen, Plano or McKinney and get used to the area. If you decide that the only place under the sun for you is in Uptown then you can make that move. But I highly doubt you'd chose that over sanity.

Best of luck on your relocation.
Uh , yeah, I think visiting Stonebriar Mall in Frisco and then visiting Uptown will 110% make OP's decision easy....Uptown!! Seriously, Uptown to 121 is NOT a bad commute at all. From the Wycliff entrance of the Tollroad in to 121 is about a 25-30 minute drive at high speeds. It's the complete opposite of the 121 to downtown commute that is stop-n-go traffic. I did it for 5 years and never once wished I lived closer to the office. Even now, I still drive from south of 635 up to 121 every day and it's the easiest, straight-shot commute in all of Dallas.

Quality of life takes environment into account, as well as time. If OP wishes to live in a walkable neighborhood full of arts, culture, and similar life stage young professionals, you simply cannot find anything comparable on the same scale in Collin County. Having zero commute doesn't help if you hate where you live!!

Old 09-14-2014, 01:18 PM

230 posts, read 398,541 times
Default Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Uh , yeah, I think visiting Stonebriar Mall in Frisco and then visiting Uptown will 110% make OP's decision easy....Uptown!! Seriously, Uptown to 121 is NOT a bad commute at all. From the Wycliff entrance of the Tollroad in to 121 is about a 25-30 minute drive at high speeds. It's the complete opposite of the 121 to downtown commute that is stop-n-go traffic. I did it for 5 years and never once wished I lived closer to the office. Even now, I still drive from south of 635 up to 121 every day and it's the easiest, straight-shot commute in all of Dallas.

Quality of life takes environment into account, as well as time. If OP wishes to live in a walkable neighborhood full of arts, culture, and similar life stage young professionals, you simply cannot find anything comparable on the same scale in Collin County. Having zero commute doesn't help if you hate where you live!!

But there is no guarantee that OP will not hate it in Uptown either. I understand what you are saying, but my point was to visit first and see for yourself. I kind of doubt that 30 something would go out 7 nights a week to enjoy arts and culture. I've lived in NYC for over 20 years and then in burbs of NJ. There were quite a few things to do all through my 20's and 30's. But I can't recall wanting to go somewhere every night after long hours of work. That's why I suggested to visit Frisco and surrounding area and otheres as well. It's really hard to make such decision without visiting first. Frisco Mall is not indicative of the place but neither is visiting Uptown. Anyway, I can only speak for myself, and if i were to look for a place I'd start with less complicated stuff, and move later if need be.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
....and while we're nitpicking, OP hasn't even responded.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:00 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,801 times
Quote:
....and while we're nitpicking, OP hasn't even responded.
Such minor details, D...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas