Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 07:13 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I'm an African-American baby-boomer in my early sixties who's planning to leave Los Angeles due to the deteriorating QOL and overall state of the state, and DFW is on my shortlist (I have cousins who have lived in Allen for 9 years and love it a lot), and I have three questions.

1)---In light of the robust economy in Houston, how would you analyze the DFW economy in terms of employment, including service jobs such as retail, hospitality, security and all the rest? I

2)---In spite of the occasional 'blue norther', how would you characterize winters in the DFW Metroplex? I know summers are long and humid, and was consequently wondering when does the humidity abate before the fall season arrives, or does the humidity typically last past the start of fall and into October?

3)---If you had a monthly rent budget between $700-$850, please list your top three recommendations for communities in which to live? I'm also a movie buff who sees a lot of 'arthouse' films, and would consequently be a frequent visitor to Big D's arthouses including the Angelika, the Inwood Theatre, as well as the Magnolia Theatre.

I'd hazard a guess that those are three pricey neighborhoods, so any nearby recommendations (10-20 mins or thereabouts) would be appreciated very much.

Thanks!

P.S.---Money Magazine has raved about the community of Frisco for years--what can you tell me about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 07:37 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Security guard jobs in DFW do not pay well. If you are armed, you may get $15 hourly. Unarmed is lucky to get $12 hourly.

That rental budget is going to be tough to still be in a safe area. The areas near those movie theaters are somewhat mixed, and you will need to be careful not to get into one of the bad pockets.

Frisco is suburbia with big houses on small lots, and tons of families. Honestly, it is the antithesis of what you appear to be seeking.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:11 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
Marv, as a boomer, I would suggest that a move to the Dallas area might be a good one for you.

The economies of Houston/Dallas in general are probably on par. However, their foundations are in no way similar. Houston is historically a laid back labor oriented - refining/port/industrial. Dallas has been more coat and tie, though now more casual, and office oriented.

The weather tends to change sometime in October, depending on the Texas/Oklahoma game. Winters can be mild with an occasionally brutal cold front. The admonition 'if you don't like the weather just wait, it will change', suits Dallas. But we finally have electricity almost everywhere these days making humidity and/or cold and heat less a consequence of choice.

Your budget may be a bit low but can be attainable. Just takes some research. There may be some places in the urban Oak Lawn, or I've heard of apartments near US-75, 'The Villages'. Other posters may have leads for you.

Frisco is waaaay north, a long commute to anywhere. Most anything there is going to be 21st century, family oriented, and priced accordingly. You might google 'apts rent'in Dallas, check prices, location, etc. You might be more interested in the area north of I-30 and inside the GBush Pkwy. This also gives you access to DART, bus/rail Should you want to make a visit - or relocate - you can contact an 'Apt Locator' for assistance. The can send you to an apt for your view. The are paid by the Apt's, free to you.

Good luck

Old 10-26-2014, 06:19 PM

I figured Frisco wouldn't be my cup of tea, but no hurt in asking, is there?

Looking forward to more replies and opinions.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I figured Frisco wouldn't be my cup of tea, but no hurt in asking, is there?

Looking forward to more replies and opinions.
I think you should look at The Village. It trends young, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy the area.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:23 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
If you search hard, you can find rentals near Inwood Village in your budget....that would be a great location for you. I have friends in their 60's who are selling their house in Las Colinas and are dead set on Frisco....safe and clean and suburbia all the way. That's what they love, so I have tried not to be judgmental about it. They are looking at 5000 sq foot houses. Just amazing that anyone in their 60's would seek that out! Service, security, retail jobs are readily available. Expect $9-11/ph.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:28 AM

I'd definitely be a regular patron at that Inwood Theatre and your other arthouse theatres(Magnolia/Angelika) since I see quite a few indie/arthouse movies in the course of a year, so finding something within 10-15 minutes for slightly more but still under $1,000 is the challenge.

Thanks for the tip on 'The Village'; I'll definitely check it out. Any more suggestions would be welcome.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:51 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
I'm going to echo most of the other posters. The Village, linked below, is within your budget and the area you would want to live in. It's 5 minutes from Magnolia and 10-15 from Inwood and Angelika. It's very close to 75, a major highway in Dallas that opens up your job location.

The Village Apartments

As far as the service industry, it's there, but it's going to be a lower paying gig. I have some friends that are bar tenders and the like and do ok, but most of them are working on furthering their education as Dallas is becoming more and more expensive.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:23 PM

455 posts, read 578,681 times
Summers in Texas are not humid at all, unless a storm rolls in. Mostly a dry heat

Winters are very mild, but every now and then it gets really cold with snow and ice.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:39 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
Summers in Texas are not humid at all, unless a storm rolls in. Mostly a dry heat

Winters are very mild, but every now and then it gets really cold with snow and ice.
Phoenix is a dry heat. Denver is a dry heat. Compared to those two places, Dallas is a sauna. It may not be quite as humid as the Gulf Coast or the Eastern Seaboard but it's still sultry. Hell, the Koppen Climate classification for Dallas is humid subtropical.

Relative humidity in DFW is regularly above 50% in the summer and the heat index is almost always higher than the ambient temperature. That's not dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas