Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:29 AM

212 posts, read 459,767 times

Advertisements

Richardson or Plano along 75 are your best bets if you are factoring in a good education for your son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 06:49 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
If you are able to enroll your son in a Catholic school you will have more flexibility as far as location. I believe, if you join the church, tuition is reasonable. Then you could live closer in to your job.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:05 PM

24 posts, read 27,269 times
Hi Amy! You know my husband Chris in Tier 1. We are also moving with the company. I've been doing the research for the past year and would be happy to share what I've found. Connect with Chris and get my info from him or PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydbrowneyes View Post
I am faced with moving to Texas from CA or not having a job. I havnt found anything to take the place of my current income so i have to move me and my 15 yr old. He does not want to go at all, i am open for adventure but also would rather not change things as we have been here 8 years. I am not assuming everything will be like CA, just trying to find a good area that is safe and has great high schools so my son can finish out his last 3 years advancing in football and making new friends etc.. I am sure he will move back after he graduates. I cant quit and have no job in CA.. that would suck. too expensive here to survive jobless.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:29 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjp24 View Post
Not to be a negative Nancy, but I moved here 3 years ago from Central California and absolutely hate it. I didn't care for the Valley much either, but I have lived in both Los Angeles and the Bay Area and probably should have just moved there. I came here because my home value tanked 65%, kept getting lay off notices and the crime was terrible. I will say that there are plenty of jobs here in Texas (I am in DFW) and I was able to buy a house and 3 acres for less than $110K which you couldn't buy a house in the ghetto for that price in most California cities; but the people here are retarded. No one knows how to drive, people are very slow almost retarded like and have no consideration for time. Everyone that does business here wouldn't make it a day in LA, SF or NYC or any other major metro area because no one would do business with them. I think all the inbreeding has something to do with it.....who knows.

Don't waste your time. I may bounce in a few years and rent out my house here. If you are are a Cali "native" or at least lived there for over 10 years and dig the vibe don't come here. You will be disappointed. I should've done more research, but I was desperate due to the economic downturn and ridiculous taxes in Cali. I will most likely not return to Cali, but maybe AZ, CO, WA or OR. I would look there first.

I wish you all luck in your quest.

P.S. If you do come here, Austin area is awesome, and North of Dallas is way more expensive with a housing shortage...but more white collar jobs. I live way south of Dallas and commute....way cheaper and no crime.
Have fun being banned! Maybe when everything around you sucks....it's not really the everything and maybe its you?

*You lost your ass in the California economy
*Moved to an area without researching it
*Moved to a rural area and expected things to "move fast"
*Think that a rural area is DFW

Maybe you need to reevaluate who the "r*" one, as you put it, is.

Last edited by bencronin04; 04-10-2015 at 02:45 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 02:34 PM

12 posts, read 17,083 times
I am not trying to get banned, I am just stating some facts that I wish someone would have told me. Not everything is that bad, but I don't want people to come here and think they will get California b/c they will not. I pointed out both the positive and negative points...less crime, cheaper to live, no state income taxes, cheaper vehicle fees...but the entertainment and southern people are just way too different for my taste and may be for others too.

I apologize if I offended you.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:40 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,854 times
Quote:
I am not trying to get banned, I am just stating some facts that I wish someone would have told me. Not everything is that bad, but I don't want people to come here and think they will get California b/c they will not. I pointed out both the positive and negative points...less crime, cheaper to live, no state income taxes, cheaper vehicle fees...but the entertainment and southern people are just way too different for my taste and may be for others too.

I started to reply to your first ridiculous post but figured why waste the energy. I wish you Godspeed in your move away from TX (which is soon fingers crossed).

Only complete idiots use the "r" word by the way. NOT cool. Might be why you are having a hard time fitting in- most Texans have a much higher EQ than to be so cruel.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:40 PM

I did not "lose my ass" as you state as I had no control over those factors. I did research the "area" I moved to by reading and visiting, but I should have spoken with people more to get a "local" perspective. I never said anything about wanting a "rural" area to "move fast" I commute to Downtown daily and everyone on the 35 sucks at driving. Where I live there is no traffic. I also did not call DFW "rural." And in Texas you can go 20 miles out of any major city and live in a "rural" area, so I am not sure what you mean by that.

This will be my last reply to you. I hope your life is filled with joy and you don't spend all your time on forums. Have a fabulous day

Old 04-10-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:

They're definitely two completely different states, though Texas is becoming more and more Californian with the mass amount of transplants we've received over the last few years. I think you may be skewed in your beliefs a little though. Maybe you're not around the right crowds or areas enough? I have a friend that moved here from Chicago and lived in McKinney. He always complained that there was nothing to do in Dallas and it was boring, nothing like Chicago, on and on. He always referenced things to do in and around downtown Chicago, but not the sleepy suburb he grew up in. I then asked him if he had been to Uptown, Lower Greenville, McKinney Ave, the State Fair, and of our museums, parks, aquariums, lakes, etc. His simple answer was no. This city has a LOT more to offer than people that move to the burbs think, you just gotta get out there and try it.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:48 PM

SO according to other posts you've made, California is full of "Freaks" in people in Dallas are "R****ed". Again, refer back to my previous post, sounds like you need to reevaluate yourself.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
They're definitely two completely different states, though Texas is becoming more and more Californian with the mass amount of transplants we've received over the last few years. I think you may be skewed in your beliefs a little though. Maybe you're not around the right crowds or areas enough? I have a friend that moved here from Chicago and lived in McKinney. He always complained that there was nothing to do in Dallas and it was boring, nothing like Chicago, on and on. He always referenced things to do in and around downtown Chicago, but not the sleepy suburb he grew up in. I then asked him if he had been to Uptown, Lower Greenville, McKinney Ave, the State Fair, and of our museums, parks, aquariums, lakes, etc. His simple answer was no. This city has a LOT more to offer than people that move to the burbs think, you just gotta get out there and try it.
You may be right. I have explored some areas and they are okay. I did not come on here to make "enemies" or to be a jerk, but my "relaxed" slang can be considered harsh and I have a F**ked sense of humor--a little R rated. I should not have used the "R" word. I am a child of the 80's and we use the word loosely sometimes. Texas people really get pissed when you talk about their state....yikes!!! Sorry guys...I will leave it to the others to discuss.

P.S. Peace and love to all my freaks.....you know what I am talking about. Smoke a Joint you might not be so uptight...... PEACE!!!

P.P.S. If you want me banned, just let the administrator know they can delete my profile. This isn't really my scene. I don't think I ll be back.

Last edited by cmjp24; 04-10-2015 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas