Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 01:22 PM

19,804 posts, read 18,099,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
That's a very generous grade for HPMS.
Actually, you make a good point. I'm not sure how/why they earned a "C" for diversity. My point is judging a school, even in part, via diversity metrics is lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 04:09 PM

385 posts, read 489,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Actually, you make a good point. I'm not sure how/why they earned a "C" for diversity. My point is judging a school, even in part, via diversity metrics is lame.
I don't think it's "lame" at all. Being able to accomplish a good academic environment in a diverse school is more impressive than great test scores in a school that isn't diverse at all. High test scores are great, but it's much harder to achieve in a diverse environment. We all know the impact of different socioeconomic factors when it comes to academic achievement.

Plano schools continue to have excellent academics with a diverse student body, which in my opinion, is very impressive. I'm not saying that if HP was diverse it wouldn't be the same way, but I can understand these rankings.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
I don't think it's "lame" at all. Being able to accomplish a good academic environment in a diverse school is more impressive than great test scores in a school that isn't diverse at all. High test scores are great, but it's much harder to achieve in a diverse environment. We all know the impact of different socioeconomic factors when it comes to academic achievement.

Plano schools continue to have excellent academics with a diverse student body, which in my opinion, is very impressive. I'm not saying that if HP was diverse it wouldn't be the same way, but I can understand these rankings.
If we are really striving towards being a color/skin tone neutral society why should anyone care? And more importantly, to my way of thinking, quantitive metrics are the only ones that should matter.

So far as Plano schools go.......Asians are not, "underrepresented minorities" in any way. To make it more clear an Asian Woman applying to medical school is shown no preferential admissions bias at all (same for all "white" women BTW).

That's a long way of saying that culturally broad and skin tone broad does not equal diverse in the sense that that .gov't. types use the term(s). Re-stated again Plano, especially Plano West, is less diverse than most people would assume at first blush.

Hard data driven metrics matter most - everything else is window dressing.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:

And with respect; are you implying that historical minorities are less able than others? It seems you may be headed toward that logical dead end.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
And with respect; are you implying that historical minorities are less able than others? It seems you may be headed toward that logical dead end.
No, minorities are not less able than others, but there are some factors that influence academic performance (initially at least). Household income and the home environment come to mind. This plays a major role in academic performance, regardless of how "able" you are or have the potential to be. Unfortunately, a large percentage of students (of any color) come from low-income households. This is not to say they won't succeed, just that performance may be affected.

"In a nationwide study of American kindergarten children, 36 percent of parents in the lowest-income quintile read to their children on a daily basis, compared with 62 percent of parents from the highest-income quintile (Coley, 2002)." - From the APA.

It starts at home. Any student with the ability to succeed will do so regardless of the home environment, it may just be a bit harder initially.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
No, minorities are not less able than others, but there are some factors that influence academic performance (initially at least). Household income and the home environment come to mind. This plays a major role in academic performance, regardless of how "able" you are or have the potential to be. Unfortunately, a large percentage of students (of any color) come from low-income households. This is not to say they won't succeed, just that performance may be affected.

"In a nationwide study of American kindergarten children, 36 percent of parents in the lowest-income quintile read to their children on a daily basis, compared with 62 percent of parents from the highest-income quintile (Coley, 2002)." - From the APA.

It starts at home. Any student with the ability to succeed will do so regardless of the home environment, it may just be a bit harder initially.
Good response thank you for it. I'll respond later.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:48 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,771 times
Quote:

Even if HPISD had improved racial diversity, it would still be quite homogeneous and lack financial diversity. Diversity or more correctly, racial diversity is many time the un-named stand-in for Social Economic Status.

So yes, in broad and general terms, schools with low SES do worse than schools with high SES. School diversity generally has a rough correlation with SES.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:14 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
It's a really stupid list. HP gets a C for diversity.
I would give HP an F- for diversity. No economic diversity and very little racial diversity.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:14 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
HPISD has gone from about 1% diverse to almost 10% in a decade with no signs of slowing down. Their scores and achievements have not slipped at all. So it appears the district is doing an A+ job with 10% diversity just as it did when there were almost no Hispanic, Asian, black, etc students.

I have a hard time with this ranking because it was rigged from the start...if a school has little diversity, it has no chance of being ranked in the top 10, even if academics and other metrics place the school in the top 4. Schools should have received two scores- one pure academics/teachers/admin rank and one taking into account diversity.

Parents using this ranking could be surprised to find their kids enrolled in a school that isn't living up to it's very high ranking because a high score in diversity overshadowed teaching or admin issues....

Old 12-14-2014, 09:08 AM

Thanks for that stat TC. I didn't know the district was up to 10%.

After doing some research, it's 3% Asian, 5% Hispanic, 0.5% African-American, and I don't remember the rest. 0% economically disadvantaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas