Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 9,801 times

Advertisements

My husband's company is closing the site in New England and has offered him a position at the main site in Lewisville Texas. We have 2 children ages 10 and 12 and are looking for a safe friendly community to live that offers the best schools for the kids. We can afford to spend about 250ish on a home. I was told that flower mound was a nice area to live. Can any one give me some detailed information on the cost of living down there? I need info on taxes, home insurance water/sewer bills. We need to make sure we are factoring all costs in when deciding if it is in our best interest to make the move. Also, what about tornadoes? We were both born and raised in New England and although we are open to change I am unsettled about the vast differences. Any help is truely appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 01:45 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean219 View Post
My husband's company is closing the site in New England and has offered him a position at the main site in Lewisville Texas. We have 2 children ages 10 and 12 and are looking for a safe friendly community to live that offers the best schools for the kids. We can afford to spend about 250ish on a home. I was told that flower mound was a nice area to live. Can any one give me some detailed information on the cost of living down there? I need info on taxes, home insurance water/sewer bills. We need to make sure we are factoring all costs in when deciding if it is in our best interest to make the move. Also, what about tornadoes? We were both born and raised in New England and although we are open to change I am unsettled about the vast differences. Any help is truely appreciated!
Here is a great previous thread that has a lot of Cost of Living numbers that you might use for comparison.

Is C.O.L. in TX really less?

Also, here is the NOAA Storm site with historical data for every type weather condition we've had over the past fifty years, just put in TX and Dallas County or Collin County for Plano or Denton County for Flower Mound.

NCDC Storm Events-Select State

Good luck to you... and be sure to ask again if you have more specific questions that haven't been answered!

Old 02-24-2008, 02:21 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times
Default Re:

I'm sure you will get several replies from people pushing their "pet" areas. Don't get too distracted by that. Flower Mound is a great place to live, most parts of it are in your price range, and it's a short commute to Lewisville. DFW traffic is ridiculous, and there's no sense taking on a commute if you're moving here.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:39 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,716 times
Flower Mound is a nice suburban area with good schools. I've lived here my whole life (47 years) and tornadoes are a non-issue. Yes, there'll be tornado warnings every once in a while in the spring but I've never had a "personal" experience with one nor has anyone I know. Welcome and good luck with your move!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 PM

13 posts, read 59,487 times
Hey,
I am from the Dallas area, but was up in Cheshire, CT for 9 years. We moved back to the Frisco area in 2004. Our main reason for Frisco was the school system. We lived in Plano and that is where I thought we would move back to. I was concerned about my daughter coming from a private school (42 in her class) to over 1,000 in Plano. Frisco is dedicated to keeping the schools in the 4A district.

What area in New England are you moving from?

Old 02-25-2008, 04:34 AM

2 posts, read 9,801 times
We are moving from RI. We were both born and raised here and I am a little concerned about the move. The kids are at a tough age to be transplanting them but I have faith that everyone will be welcoming down ther. Do you have any advice since you also came from the New England area? Thank you for your reply.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:43 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Either Flower Mound or Frisco are great areas for new transplants.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:50 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Don't forget about Coppell. very close to your husbands work and EXCELLENT schools. But, housing is more expensive there.

I have heard NOTHING but good things about Flowermound. cost is lowere so you will probably be able to get more house for your money there.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:06 AM

14 posts, read 48,206 times
I live in Lewisville currently. Flower Mound and Lewisville are adjacent to each other - I don't know if it even qualifies as a commute! Flower Mound is a great place to live, too. There are lots of great places (smaller towns) to live that are also directly adjacent to Lewisville - Highland Village, Copper Canyon are ones I'd recommend. All of these communities feed into Lewisville ISD (where I teach) which is a great school district. We have many exemplary campuses throughout the district.

As for Coppell, it's a great place, too - has it's own great school district - but from what I've recently found out in my own home search there's going to be some development near Coppell (North Lake area owned by the city of Dallas) that's going be turned into a huge apartment development which will negatively affect their home values and school district. Our realtor suggested we stay away from Coppell entirely for this reason.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:14 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel.mcguire View Post
As for Coppell, it's a great place, too - has it's own great school district - but from what I've recently found out in my own home search there's going to be some development near Coppell (North Lake area owned by the city of Dallas) that's going be turned into a huge apartment development which will negatively affect their home values and school district. Our realtor suggested we stay away from Coppell entirely for this reason.
Not quite... actually, Coppell ISD is still currently in a condemnation suit to acquire 125.831 acres of land to be used for future new schools (one high school, one middle school and two elementary schools as well as a new administration center) to offset any negative impact the private developer purchased land from TXU in 2004 located east of Belt Line Road and north of Hackberry Road (342.60 acres formally owned by the City of Dallas and sold to TXU) which has plans to develop the entire site for a mix of residential, retail and commercial uses.

See complete details at CISD's North Lake Development: Coppell Independent School District | North Lake

Therefore, I believe you may have been led astray by your realtor as Coppell (zip 75019) is, has, and will continue to be a highly sought after area as the continuing positive home values reflect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas