Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 2,121 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am looking to move to Dallas later this month and don't have much of a clue of the area. I'm 22 and will be working for AA whose headquarters are located near the DFW airport. I do enjoy going out so I know Uptown is recommended, but looking for a reasonably priced apartment ($600-900) with a hopefully reasonable commute (20 min or so). Would like to live somewhere that has things going on with people around my age group if possible.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 01:06 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
I recommend moving as close to Uptown as possible, if you plan on going out a lot. You don't want to wind up getting a DWI. Plus, you can't really have a social life in Dallas unless you live there.

Your budget is really low. There may still be a few places that have studios or 1 bedrooms, but it's very difficult to find anything decent under $1000 anywhere in Dallas. These apartments use to be in your budget:
Carlisle on the Katy Trail

Padmapper.com may have something too. Search (75201, 75204, 75219). The commute will be over 20 minutes but worth it.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:25 AM

20 posts, read 19,205 times
Irving/Las Colinas - Euless Area are close to AA HQ and you can get a nice place in your range. Las Colinas is slightly expensive but lots to do there. Euless is on the quiet side but the commute is under 20 mins and you can find nice spots within that range.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:21 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Is there anything in the Design District close to $900/mo? It puts OP right on 35 to start his commute to DFW (prob in the 20-25 min range) and is less expensive than Uptown while being a $10 uber ride from Uptown. A lot of the right out of college crowd at my office lives in the Design District for budget reasons.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:24 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbornpride View Post
Irving/Las Colinas - Euless Area are close to AA HQ and you can get a nice place in your range. Las Colinas is slightly expensive but lots to do there. Euless is on the quiet side but the commute is under 20 mins and you can find nice spots within that range.
OP, Strike Euless from your list ASAP. There's nothing to do there. It's an inexpensive family burb.

Las Colinas should only be considered if you've exhausted your in-town options. Las Colinas is basically a new construction bedroom community. Once the office workers go home, it's pretty quiet and only a handful of bars & restaurants considered fun.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:36 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Ronnie and TurtleCreek hit some good points. I'd focus on the Design District and the zips Ronnie mentioned. And if possible, raise your budget a little bit more or do a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate.

I have noticed that in the DFW area, there are a few big companies with headquarters in locations that their younger workers would not find appealing due to being far away from the Central Dallas hot spots. These companies include, but are not limited to, the following:

-American Airlines
-Frito Lay
-Dr. Pepper Snapple Group
-Toyota

Can anyone shed any insight into why this could be? Wouldn't it be easier to recruit under 35 talent with a more Central Dallas HQ? Texas Instruments is an example of a company has an HQ that is within commutable distance of Uptown, and I would think that would help recruiting there.

Last edited by RJ312; 03-01-2015 at 07:47 AM..

Old 03-01-2015, 07:44 AM

793 posts, read 1,223,293 times
Design district us a good suggestion, but I still think the budget will be a challenge. At OP's age and with that budget and a desire to be in the action, I'd strongly suggest finding a roommate a d living in Uptown or the design district.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:45 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
The companies build their HQ where there is available land for a large campus. AA has been in their location near the airport since the airline was founded. Uptown Dallas has only been popular with young people for the last decade or so. Companies are usually more concerned with proximity to housing for their executives in upscale suburbs.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:00 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
If at all possible, I suggest you stay in an extended stay hotel for a couple of weeks while you look around. Some of your co-workers will likely be able to give you some housing suggestions. There are nice apartments along hwy 360 that are right near AA HQ on Amon Carter Blvd. This area is called Centerport and you can look up apartements in that area. Many single professionals live in the area and there is a tiny smattering of restaurants there; also you probably can find something in your budget. However, this is just a simple residential/multi housing area and has no serious nightlife nearby.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:12 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Ronnie and TurtleCreek hit some good points. I'd focus on the Design District and the zips Ronnie mentioned. And if possible, raise your budget a little bit more or do a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate.

I have noticed that in the DFW area, there are a few big companies with headquarters in locations that their younger workers would not find appealing due to being far away from the Central Dallas hot spots. These companies include, but are not limited to, the following:

-American Airlines
-Frito Lay
-Dr. Pepper Snapple Group
-Toyota

Can anyone shed any insight into why this could be? Wouldn't it be easier to recruit under 35 talent with a more Central Dallas HQ? Texas Instruments is an example of a company has an HQ that is within commutable distance of Uptown, and I would think that would help recruiting there.
Myriad reasons:
1. Establishing an HQ near fun cool places for very young workers to live is way down the list of cares for any CEO and board of directors.
2. Large companies are much more concerned about locating in a areas appealing to middle managers and longer serving employees - things like great schools, quiet neighborhoods, safe neighborhoods and reasonable home values/prices carry the day.
3. Most DISD middle schools and beyond are awful in all reasonable terms, homes right around Uptown, downtown are very expensive relative to the 'burbs. That's a killer for families.
4. Office space near downtown is more expensive that the 'burbs. Building a giant campus as Toyota is doing would be significantly more expensive in/close to Uptown.
5. TI's HQ has been were it is since long before Uptown was even a notion let alone a real place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas