Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 06:37 AM

44 posts, read 66,634 times

Advertisements

So we have been house hunting - narrowed down to East Plano/Richardson (with PISD) areas. However the houses (range 350-500) are selling so quickly and the prices seem inflated Would it be better to just rent for now in the area and then keep looking (we need a house - rented or owned by May end).

I see the following for renting. Can you add to my list? Pros or cons? Much appreciated!

The Pros:
Time to ponder and get our ducks in a row
Make sure the commute is doable (work in Dallas DT). 35 -40 mins in am and ~ 50 mins in evening is what I have been averaging from Murphy (living with relatives in Murphy)
Home prices may stabilize?

The cons:
Double move (IL to rental home, most stuff in storage and then to the new home)
Potential change of school for my daughter (5th grade)
Prices may trend upwards
rentals not friendly to pets

Thanks
JK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 06:58 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,493,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles_chicago View Post

The Pros:
Make sure the commute is doable (work in Dallas DT). 35 -40 mins in am and ~ 50 mins in evening is what I have been averaging from Murphy (living with relatives in Murphy)

The cons:
Prices may trend upwards

Thanks
JK
I think your pros and cons are very realistic. The pet thing especially can be a real impediment. We solved it with a lot of negotiation and a huge deposit.

You may want to add how very hard it can be to time the closing of a house with the end of your lease. Again, you may be able to negotiate with your landlord, or sublet, etc (if the lease allows it). But these things can have pretty severe consequences.

And as for the market being "inflated" - I seriously doubt prices will go down anytime soon. And right now, you should be able to find a very nice house in your price range. That may not be the case in, say, 2 to 5 years.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:04 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,107 times
I really don't see prices stabilizing or even going down, especially with summer right around the corner. There may be more homes on the market then, but the competition will be even more fierce and prices will probably be up. If it was me, I would look to buy now and not rent.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:36 AM

419 posts, read 553,550 times
So...We rented first and ended up buying in a completely different area. We had a dog and found a rental home by owner that had no issues with a pet (no deposit either). Used craigslist. Our kids were too young for school but you can choose to look at it the other way. If you arent happy with the schools (and I wasnt crazy about one of the east plano middle schools) you are stuck if you buy. If your daughter is going into 5th grade (or is she currently in 5th?) she will have to change schools for 6th anyways. Sometimes we kick ourselves because home prices did appreciate in the 3 years we rented, but at the same time, I am very happy with our location and commutes and both would have been awful if we had purchased first, without knowing the area well. It sounds like you are already in Murphy, however, so you have a leg up there.

That said, northeast Richardson is a great area and had our jobs not been too far north and west, we would have purchased there.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:19 AM

631 posts, read 885,341 times
I don't think prices will go down. I only see house prices as being "inflated" in the sense that the government is propping them up still, but I don't see them stopping and allowing housing prices to fall any time soon. I could see waiting in order to save for a larger downpayment, but I wouldn't get my hopes up about prices falling. They're more likely to keep increasing.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:32 AM

216 posts, read 280,471 times
Quote:
So we have been house hunting - narrowed down to East Plano/Richardson (with PISD) areas. However the houses (range 350-500) are selling so quickly and the prices seem inflated Would it be better to just rent for now in the area and then keep looking (we need a house - rented or owned by May end).

I see the following for renting. Can you add to my list? Pros or cons? Much appreciated!

The Pros:

The cons:
Prices may trend upwards

Thanks
JK
This is really a hard one. I was set on buying before I moved here but my realtor advised me to rent for a year and check out different areas and I am glad that I did because I will more than likely be moving 20 miles east of where I currently live to be closer to work.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:57 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,107 times
How long have you been in the area? I'm wondering if you've had time to drive around and get a feel of a few cities/areas since you are technically living here, just with the in-laws.

Have you considered Lake Highlands? That area would be good for a downtown commute and the schools are good (just make sure you are zoned to the right ones). Your budget should get you something nice too, unless you are looking for a 4000 sq ft, brand new home. But I completely understand if you like the Plano area better.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:54 PM

44 posts, read 66,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
How long have you been in the area? I'm wondering if you've had time to drive around and get a feel of a few cities/areas since you are technically living here, just with the in-laws.

Have you considered Lake Highlands? That area would be good for a downtown commute and the schools are good (just make sure you are zoned to the right ones). Your budget should get you something nice too, unless you are looking for a 4000 sq ft, brand new home. But I completely understand if you like the Plano area better.
Thanks! I will do that. I have driven around. Las Colinas in beautifu but did not find anything suitable. West Plano is too expensive and other areas are too much commute time.
My criteria is home not more than 20 years old...good schools and fairly good commute...and in my range...sigh

Old 04-02-2015, 05:42 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Your wants are not compatible with your budget. A house that's less than 20 years old, with a decent commute to downtown Dallas, and in that price range isn't likely to exist. The easy answer is to look at homes that have been totally renovated instead of insisting on something that's newer. This will open up a lot more possibilities for you since you can't change the commute, and you need to stay within your budget.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:09 AM

142 posts, read 214,077 times
Quote:
Thanks! I will do that. I have driven around. Las Colinas in beautifu but did not find anything suitable. West Plano is too expensive and other areas are too much commute time.
My criteria is home not more than 20 years old...good schools and fairly good commute...and in my range...sigh
If you consider all that West Plano offers then it's not too expensive. Yes it is expensive if you compare it to houses in boonies but not if you compare it to other established areas with good locations and top tier schools. It is very affordable unless one is HGTV picky about houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas