Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:08 PM

7 posts, read 11,361 times

Advertisements

Thanks again guys we are coming from Tacoma. Seattle is just easier to say because its the bigger name. I am truly grateful for all your opinions its helps. My husband wants to limit the drive to 20-30 mins so I am going to look into grapevine/colleyville/bedford and euless. Its great to get the opinion of former or current residents.

Any particular Irving neighborhoods to look into or avoid??

Any particular grapevine/colleyville neighborhoods to look into or avoid??

is the traffic from the grapevine heightened with construction???

Any schools or Zip codes to avoid or must go to?

Which area is more geared towards raising a family. Like previsouly mentioned we plan on renting 1st but would like to be in the same school district once we buy.

Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 09:14 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
What's your budget for renting?

The only neighborhood to avoid in Grapevine is the one that feeds into Timberline Elementary. The school is over 70% low income and ESL, and it's the only one in GCISD that is low performing. This is due to a high concentration of old apartments and three mobile home parks. I actually live in the neighborhood of homes in the area, and we have had no problems with crime or anything, but since you said schools are a priority, it's better to avoid it.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:33 PM

Hi Christine.....

staying under $1700 for a 3/2 would be great but if location,safety & diversity warrant an increase then so be it. I thought I was all set on Allen/Plano but the commute was nixed by the hubby.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:29 AM

482 posts, read 945,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tulips View Post
Hello 4Movingeast.....

Work will be in 75038; las colinas and George Bush turnpike. Rental rates looking like 1700-2000 monthly.

Thank you for the quick response!

If you work in Las Colinas, why not live there? It's breathtaking, especially the lesser known areas. Great schools, proximity to Dallas and airport...the other nearby upscale places would be Valley Ranch, part of Irving, just north of Las Colinas...then there are Coppell, Grapevine, and parts of Carrollton and Farmer's Branch all which are extremely safe, great public schools and secluded. I'd start off by renting in Las Colinas or Valley Ranch, then do your own research. North Irving is great. Enjoy!

Old 05-08-2015, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tulips View Post
Hi Christie.....

staying under $1700 for a 3/2 would be great but if location,safety & diversity warrant an increase then so be it. I thought I was all set on Allen/Plano but the commute was nixed by the hubby.
Your hubby was correct. There's no good reason to commute from that far away when there are great places to live nearby.

You should be able to get a house in that price range, so an apartment would be a last resort.

Valley Ranch/north Irving
North Euless (GCISD is everything north of Mid-Cities Blvd)
Grapevine
Coppell MAYBE, since your rental budget won't go as far there

Old 05-08-2015, 09:04 AM

692 posts, read 855,799 times
You can easily stay under 1700 in north Irving for a 3/2, depending how fancy you're looking for. What you'll need to do is make sure your kids are watched CLOSELY in school. Irving is, for the most part, quite safe (not by comparison to the upper-class neighborhoods a lot of the posters live in, but in long stretches of living here, I've walked all over town at odd nocturnal hours and had exactly one unpleasant experience), but since the school system is mediocre, you want to press them into GT if they're not already there while living here. Irving is one of the most diverse places you can be (though our mix is different than Tacoma's), so that shouldn't be a problem.

Bedford to Las Colinas means driving north on surface roads or else taking the 161-114 connector in the morning once you're in Irving -- this won't be a 20-30 minute drive for husband unless you're lucky.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:06 AM

Las Colinas is easily reached from Euless or Bedford via MidCities Blvd. It cuts straight through DFW Airport land, and even with a few traffic lights, it's a quick drive!

Old 05-08-2015, 12:50 PM

692 posts, read 855,799 times
Easily, but not quickly. You're not getting from Bedford to Las Colinas (except its very fringes) in 20 minutes on MidCities Blvd once any traffic accumulates on it at all. On many days it's actually slower than running the freeways.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:39 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,854 times
Las Colinas is certainly pretty and has a couple of good elementary schools if I am not mistaken, but I don't know how family oriented the community is. Seems like more of a singles town to me. I also wonder about middle and high school in Irving ISD.

One very cool thing I noted when looking at the racial make- up of Las Colinas Elementary is the true diversity. Las Colinas Elementary School - Irving, Texas - TX - School details

Compare to nearby Valley Ranch Elementary in Coppell ISD:
Valley Ranch Elementary School - Irving, Texas - TX - School details

And Grapevine Elementary in GCISD:
Grapevine Elementary School - Grapevine, Texas - TX - School details

I only linked to Great Schools to provide the student race data, not because I think their "x out of 10" rankings are anything you should hang your hat on. I don't have personal experience with GES although it is in our district (my boys attend a different elementary) but it is well respected for sure, as is VRE in Coppell ISD. Definitely not trying to derail your thread with a race discussion either- but you mentioned diversity being important, so I wanted to show you that site so you can look at the districts more closely. I think the information can also be found on district websites (along with free/reduced lunch percentages, ESL). Diversity was important to us also when we made our move although we compromised (a bit too much if you asked me). One thing I can say for Colleyville is it is more diverse than Aledo, but it doesn't take much!

Old 05-09-2015, 03:03 PM

Again I cant thank you all ENOUGH; being new to a city/state as an adult is one thing but when you add kids to the mix its a WHOLE DIFFERENT MONSTER. That said I am torn between Grapevine/Colleyville & HEB. I will work with an RE agent to set up some tours when the hubby and I visit in a few weeks. SO please keep your recommendations coming you all have some helpful advice!

:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: