Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:31 PM
2dc 2dc started this thread

87 posts, read 420,098 times

Advertisements

I've heard that Dallas & Atlanta are both similar. Anyone from Atlanta relocated to Dallas, or vice-versa? How big is Dallas? Is the City as spread out as Atlanta? How bad is traffic?

Old 06-20-2007, 06:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Atlanta has nicer trees but much worse traffic, IMO. I like Atlanta (my sister lived there several years) but I would rather live in my hometown of Dallas.

The city of Dallas is 2-3 times the size the city of Atlanta. I think metro Atlanta is about 3-4 million and Dallas metro area is 5.4 million.

Another feature of Dallas (besides being in the great state of Texas) is that DFW airport is nearly equidistant to many locations while Atlanta is a little out of the way.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
The home lots are bigger in Atlanta with fewer fences, Atlanta is more spread out, places are further away from each other, traffic is worse as a result.

Texas does not have free universal preschool for 4 year olds and we don't have the HOPE scholarship.

I thought Dallas was hotter. Atlanta is prettier. It seemed like Atlanta actually had a pretty Fall season. Mexican food, such as it is, is better in Dallas.

Dallas houses are mostly all brick and in Atlanta brick is more a decoration. Atlanta houses have basements. Not in Texas. I thought housing was cheaper in Atlanta. Atlanta's subdivisions with pools have swim teams and I have not seen that in the subdivisions in DFW that have pools.

Atlanta has the Georgia Aquarium which is amazing.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:28 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
I use to live in Rome, Ga and worked all over Atlanta and I concur with Lakewooder's opinion. (Other than my home's in Plano and my sister's in Midlothian.) Atlanta isn't as big as Dallas east to west, though it is comparable north to south. Atlanta's growth in more along the interstates where as the Metroplex is more filled in.

Here are satellite map links for Atlanta and Dallas. Note that the maps are at the same scale. Metro Atlanta is just under 8400 sq miles with a population density of 562/sq mile while the Metroplex is just under 9300 sq miles with a population density of 634/sq mile (thanks Wiki for the data).

The biggest disadvantage to Atlanta is that there are fewer options for diverting around bad traffic.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:29 PM

100 posts, read 455,486 times
I lived in ATL for 7 years. I currently now reside in Dallas.

Dallas is far bigger and way more spread out than ATL. Atlanta's public transportation system (MARTA) is light years ahead of Dallas system (DART). Dallas is working on making that better. Traffic in the ATL is worse. Dallas has traffic problems during the AM and PM rush hours and when there is construction.

Crime in Atlanta is far worse (my brother is a cop there) than in Dallas even though the reporting numbers say other wise. He state it is all in how the crime is reported. The suburbs tend to be safer. As with most cities there are areas to avoid, so just be mindful of your surroundings.

Atlanta has a far better night life and downtown enviroment than Dallas. There are things for the family and the singles to do when they go there. It is a great party town. Lost of history if you are into that type of stuff. Dallas is a city that is about on the verge of getting its downtown area more vibrant. There are alot of thing popping up in the area.

Atlanta has recently become more expensive than Dallas. Housing cost have risen. Dallas is still somewhat affordable. Quality of life is the same. As you read through this board you read alot of thing about Dallas area school. The schools systems here are better than Atlanta area schools if that is a concern for you.

I like Dallas. There is not much difference between the cities.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:37 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,464 times
Dallas is probably a little more spread out and a little bigger. Both are nice. You will find a larger black population in Atlanta. I prefer Dallas over Atlanta but I'd definitly love to visit ATL from time to time. It's a pretty good city overall. If you are into sports, you really can't go wrong with either. Both have large followings of college football and also both have 4 teams in the major pro sports (if you can count the NHL anymore these days). The Dallas teams are probably more popular and for the most part better. I think Dallas is a much better sports town.

You will also find hills in Atlanta where as Dallas is pretty much flat. Overall, you really can't go wrong with either. Both are very nice.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:43 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Everytime I visited Atlanta we went out to party and I think Central Dallas has a lot more options as there are nearly a dozen entertainment districts (you can hit a different one every week) whereas Atlanta's are more concentrated to a couple of areas. Atlanta does have us on the history. But Dallas has more historic and conservation districts than any city around. Of course our historic stuff is at least 40-50 years newer than Atlanta's (for the most part).

I did not grow up eating grits despite having some branches of the family from Alabama and Georgia back in the mid-1800s. But I really like getting some grits in Atlanta.

Now, as for their BBQ -- pork is not BBQ! And if you like Tex-Mex, forget Atlanta.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:02 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
I would probably choose Dallas over Atlanta. The only ways that I feel Atlanta beats Dallas are in the geography and certain cultures. Otherwise, Dallas is much better. People tend to embellish over Atlanta. I don't like Atlanta's shopping, so the next better thing would be Miami, then Chicago or Houston (distance wise).

Old 06-20-2007, 07:05 PM
2dc 2dc started this thread

87 posts, read 420,098 times
Default better city

which city is better for african americans?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:08 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dc View Post
which city is better for african americans?
ATLANTA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas