Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 01:04 PM

617 posts, read 1,042,036 times

Advertisements

Regarding this news story about the city of Dallas approving this energy contract:

It seems mighty shady to me. And, it leads me to assume the worst about the council majority that voted for this, and the city staff's approach to the issue. Am I wrong? Are there really good reasons for conducting business in this manner? Explanations and justifications appreciated

Links:
Updated: Why is Dallas City Hall in such a hurry to award $450 million contract to TXU? | | Dallas Morning News
Dallas City Council OKs awarding TXU contract worth up to $450 million | Dallas Morning News
Why’s Dallas City Hall Sneaking Through a $450*Million Blank Check For TXU? | FrontBurner | D Magazine
Outgoing Dallas council
Dallas City Council will vote on 7 year, $450 million electricity contract with TXU Energy - Dallas Business Journal

From the article:

"“The electricity market is very dynamic and recently entered a historically low price range,” according to the staff report."

I'm no trader, but that doesn't tell me anything about what the market is likely to do in the future, does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 07:56 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Keeps parent company from going belly up I guess

Old 06-19-2015, 08:41 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Why’s Dallas City Hall Sneaking Through a $450*Million Blank Check For TXU? | FrontBurner | D Magazine

The D Magazine blog link you posted by Wylie H. Dallas seems to explain it the best. It's sad how bad the Dallas Morning News and the local news stations are at covering and investigating things happening in Dallas. I like some of the DMN staff, but I now get most of my news from D Magazine blogs, The Observer, and Facebook. If any Dallas resident doesn't follow Wylie H. on Facebook or Twitter, then you're really missing out. I have to admit, I spend way too much time reading the articles he posts. He posts very informative stuff, and he has very "inside baseball" Dallas City Council information. I highly recommend following him.

I'm just happy there's new city council members coming in, and I hope the next city council election washes out the remaing empty seats.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:31 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Good catch Ben! And good notes Ronnie. I just emailed my city councilor. I'll also email my neighborhood association. Everybody needs to read and share the link below (previously shared by Ben and Ronnie).

Old 06-21-2015, 12:46 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
TXU is headquarterd in Dallas, it's makes perfectly good sense the contract would be awarded to a Dallas based company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: