Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 10:51 AM

420 posts, read 1,236,256 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I feel the need to tell the truth about the area that I'm living in(Arlington/Grand Prairie, TX.) I know, a lot of people,(black in particular) are looking into moving to Texas. You are having conversations and Texas is being over hyped. People believe the grass is always greener on the other side. People are moving from Milwaukee(which is where I'm from) Cleveland, Detroit, California, etc. In Milwaukee I had a job that paid me $19.25 and I worked that job for nearly 7 years. Here are some of the reasons that I left Milwaukee. 1. It was becoming like a zoo. Due to lack of opportunities, Milwaukee became very dangerous. You can get robbed or punched just walking up the street. You can buy a pair of shoes and this would make guys wanna to break into your house. Plenty foreigners land locking the city by putting their businesses in urban areas. Milwaukee was segregated, at first I thought this was a bad thing. (I'll explain more later keep reading)

My former supervisors are very intelligent, usually the people they hire stick around. I have never had a problem finding a job in Milwaukee. What's weird is, the statistics place Milwaukee as the worst of the worst when it comes to jobs. So I move to Texas in December of 2014 and since then I have not had a full-time job. In my field, they either do not hire me or they are to slow in their process. I've had 2 interviews with Dallas County, no job. The Assistant Superintendent had a look in his eyes as if to say "I don't care what you say in this interview or what experience you have, I'm not going to hire you." So I noticed on their website, they have a lot of openings.(This means 1 thing, the people he is picking are quitting) It almost seems personal, I have applied for thousands of jobs(no full-time offer) The other day I gave a white guy a ride for a labor ready job. He told me that he has only been in this area for 2 weeks and was hired full-time. This guy has been to prison, and has drug habits. I have no drug habits, no criminal record, and have not even been fired from a job.

One thing that I did not like about the racist people in Wisconsin is, they make you feel very uncomfortable when you come around them. The whites in Texas act more comfortable around blacks, but they almost always will hire latinos over blacks. (illegal or not criminal record or not) When it comes to black men, they wanna give us wonderlic tests, look at criminal record, etc. I see the gang-related tattoos on latinos (all over their arms, neck,etc I know they have criminal records) Yet they have good paying jobs, drive brand new f-150s, challengers, etc. Texas belongs to whites and latinos (they are both doing really well!!!) If you are not a geechi, bootlickey, uncle tom style black you will have a hard time finding a job.(especially if you do not talk like you've been to Harvard and or you are over 6'0 tall and over 250 pounds). Do not be deceived like I was into thinking they'll be more fair with jobs. So what if a city has alot of jobs, will they give you a job is the question.

The low paying jobs will treat you very disrespectfully. They stereotype black men from the time you walk through the door, and this is most companies here. If you insist on moving to Texas, get a job/job offer from someone first. This will at least guarantee you unemployment if they try to do you like they have been doing me. Many have the old-fashioned slave master attitude-they only like black men who hate other blacks, entertain them, or kiss up to them. Oh, by the way, there is no sense of community in this area. Many blacks will walk pass you and not speak and some won't even speak when you speak to them first. I can sum up this advice like this: I have been researching these things for years- 1. Forget about diversity. Diversity always works for non blacks, and rarely ever works for us whom they call"black". If you are looking to relocate-move somewhere that is majority black (over 50%) and has very few latinos, arabs, etc(less than 5%) When they have no choice but black, we tend to do better.

They'll always attempt to keep us at the bottom, forget diversity, forget intergration. If you want to see masses of non-blacks, get your money right and see them on your vacations. I'm trying to help you, get a job first or be their desired black if you want to do well in this area. Don't believe the hype, you can move somewhere like Jackson Mississippi(suburban areas are Ridgeland, North Jackson, Madison, Ms) Atlanta,Ga, Mobile, Al, Look for the 50% or higher of blacks and the less than 5% latino/other(especially if you did not graduate from college)Mod cut: competing site. [mod cut]Well, I'll stop here, I know this can help a lot of black men. (especially age 25 and up)

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 07-01-2015 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: Let's try not to stereotype other ethnicities/nationalities. Please read our terms of service

Old 07-01-2015, 12:50 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Black guy here.
Sorry to hear about the hard time you are having. A few thoughts
You didn't specify but I'm assuming you are in a blue collar field? If so then yeah unfortunately it will be very hard for you. Latinos dominate pretty much all the blue collar jobs. I drive by several construction sites all the time, the crews are mainly Latino. Several times I've had repairmen, electricians, and most recently a plumber out to the house, all Latino. Even the day laborers are majority Latino. And like any ethnic group they are more likely to hire their own.

That being said, in the white collar world I think it's the opposite. After 10 years spent at several companies, I can count
on one hand the number of degrees Hispanic co workers I had. I saw far more black co workers. Not saying they are not out there but I never saw many.

Not sure about targeting moving to the likes of Mississippi and Alabama. There are a lot of folks I know from those states and they all say the same thing; DFW simply offers more jobs and a better standard of living

Old 07-01-2015, 10:19 PM

990 posts, read 2,302,558 times
a.) You're living in Arlington/GP talking about a black community. Move a little east if you want community.

b.) I hear you on Dallas County/City of Dallas. My dad worked there growing up. Heard nothing but bad stories about the racism that tended to get worse as time went on. If you want a city job, I would definitely look at the northern burbs or even the eastern burbs.

c.) I wouldn't move anywhere without an offer.

d.) I can hear you on the discrimination with a lot of blue collar jobs. I don't know how all of the new jobs in southern Dallas County are with all of the new companies coming in, but before I went to school, there was definitely a lot of buddy, buddy hiring. I was new to all that and it really opened my eyes. A lot of the hiring of contractors was even worse. Its why I laugh today when people try to minimize the amount of discrimination(even towards women). Some of the conversations I heard. Crazy. I hope that these new companies moving to the area are bringing in new blood to hire workers. Especially with so many landing around I-20 and I-45.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 PM

110 posts, read 168,407 times
You can't get a job - hey let's blame your race instead of taking personal responsibility for not being able to land one, great idea!!

Old 07-01-2015, 11:05 PM

232 posts, read 360,481 times
Lol, this somehow seems racist to me... Not only does it demean one race by making generalizations but it makes it as if another minority race gets more opportunity than the other...

Old 07-02-2015, 12:45 AM

468 posts, read 475,099 times
Texans can spot a yankee a mile a way. Just moved back to TX after 30yrs. in northeast and first day at airport i knew right away speaking to all the service people like rental car employees that they grew up in tx. Same with all the moving guys who look like huge grown men football players too. Just the way they address you makes you know that you are the customer and they know this.

People dont do that up north. Still remember the federal judge i interned for in NJ telling me to stop calling him sir. Totally different world up there.

Now all the spanish guys slaving outdoors doing all the lawnwork here dont necessarily have that tx customer service skills. But dang if they arent the hardest working spanish guys ive seen. Spanish guys up north cant touch these guys when it comes to work ethic.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:49 AM

68 posts, read 91,514 times
mod cut: quoted post removed

Wow.... just... wow.

Last edited by Acntx; 03-22-2020 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 07:32 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAgain15 View Post
Wow.... just... wow.
Mod cut: discussing moderator action

This is a thread created by a minority bashing other races as to why he can't find work, while calling them racists at the same time. My guess is the attitude of the OP towards other races is the reason why he can't find a job, no one wants to work with you.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 07-02-2015 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas