Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 02:52 PM

18 posts, read 57,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Irving has some nice areas. Don't limit yourself at looking only there, this metroplex is 3500 square miles and there is something for everyone. What price range are you wanting to stay within? where will you be commuting? all that info would help to recommend places.

Naima

about 200,000 to 250,000. My husband wants to be around Irving or Dallas. Our friend Family lives there too, so we will know somebody to help us around Texas. I need a good area that is safe for my three girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,253,696 times
Grapevine is right next to Irving has excellent schools and a lot of nice homes in your price range. With Irving it's a hit or miss because it is built on a hill, they tend to have a lot more foundation issues with the homes compared to other areas.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:05 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,079 times
Quote:
Grapevine is right next to Irving has excellent schools and a lot of nice homes in your price range. With Irving it's a hit or miss because it is built on a hill, they tend to have a lot more foundation issues with the homes compared to other areas.
Please don't feed misinformation such as this! None of my neighbors or myself have EVER had any foundation problems. There are no more foundation problems in Irving than anywhere else in the metroplex.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:09 PM

On a Hill? There are problems with any house you have. How about Fort Worth? I just want a nice SAFE area for my children, closer to the city tho, I dont think My husband can go to far in the country. Most jobs are in the city, arent they?

Old 01-29-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Grapevine has Tornados? That town sounds familiar to me.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Please don't feed misinformation such as this! None of my neighbors or myself have EVER had any foundation problems. There are no more foundation problems in Irving than anywhere else in the metroplex.

Where is KELLER?

Old 01-29-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
You may be in that neighborhood as I said "hit or miss". As I quote you "foundation problems can be found in most ALL of the DFW area". I would assume ALL would include Irving.

Much of the time, the need for foundation repair can be attributed to poor drainage, improper watering, plumbing leaks and vegetation. Foundation problems don't stop at city limits, it's all in the upkeep.

Back to the poster, wherever you decide to be, after a regular home inspection, you want to get the foundation checked out, the cost is about 300$, well worth the investment and peace of mind.

Naima

Old 01-29-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlover View Post
Where is KELLER?
Keller is directly north of Fort Worth and west of the airport. I'm gonna see if I can find a good map to post for you here.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,079 times
Quote:
Where is KELLER?
Grapevine and Keller are both in Tarrant County. Grapevine is just northwest of DFW airport and Keller is north of Ft. Worth, farther north and west than Grapevine.

I haven't heard of any tornadoes in Grapevine, but there are some other posters on here that do live in that area that could help you more. Grapevine is a nice community w/good schools and a quaint old-timey downtown area.

I'm not too familar with Keller, but the Ft. Worth forum would be your best bet for getting info on it since it is closer.

To help you map this out, pull up mapquest.com and look at Irving, widen the map so it encompasses both Grapevine and Keller to the northwest so you can get an idea of where these are in relation to each other. You'll also note that there is another area just west and north of Irving called Coppell (which would be my personal first choice for a family area... great community and great schools -- Coppell ISD).

You asked about jobs in the area. They're located all over Dallas and Ft. Worth as well as in all of the suburbs here... not just in one location... so your best bet is nail down the location of employment and work from there to avoid massive commute times (we DO have a lot of traffic!). Otherwise, you could end up 30-50 miles from where you work and that would be the pits! Also, as another poster said, there are multiple good family areas here to live... and these are only the ones on the west side of Dallas!

Good luck! Keep your spirits up!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-29-2008 at 03:51 PM..

Old 01-29-2008, 03:47 PM

104 posts, read 432,256 times
Quote:
Hasn't it been cold here this winter? My goodness. Good luck with your move aswell, HOw did your hubby get the job in plano? Im curious on how they Interview, Im thinking I will have to make a trip, huh?

Thank you for the good wishes on the move, I will need them.

My husband is an engineer and worked on a job in Illinois. When the client transferred to Plano he asked my husband to come on that job as well. Since the client was familiar with his skills, he didn't have to interview. Now, if we could only get the corporate relocation to move a little faster so I can get out of this cold, hail, sleet, snow, sub-zero degree weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas