Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 01:17 PM

30 posts, read 26,293 times

Advertisements

I’m a 34yr old, woman. Looking to relocate
I am moving because after 10yrs in LA, I realize that it is way too expensive to live and date/establish roots here. I’m looking to lower my expenses, complete my masters and start my career.
*Furthering my education, working and eventually establishing my own business is my priority. But I’d also like to have a relationship and developing quality friendships as I go along this path.

Question: Where do I live?
I would like to buy a town home/condo near an area where I can work and attend a College (my degree is MSA/Accounting).
I’m prepared to study with 20yr olds but I need to come home to a 35yr + crowd in my living situation.

Education is my first priority, but I would like to live in area among professionals, my own age.

House budget is up to 250K. Town home/condo preferred

My wish list includes:
Reasonable commute to college
Professionals’ 30-and older area
2bedrooms preferred

I’m not super outdoorsy; but I’m willing to hike and try new things
I like restaurants, theater, movies and live music events.
I also like seeing children, parks and going to Farmers Markets.

Although, I consider myself a nice & kind person; I’ll admit I’m a little spoiled and used to being around nice things and glittering, beautiful people; I find their drive inspiring and I’m willing to work to attain some of that glitter!

Any advice on where I could fit in in Dallas?
Any advice in general is helpful.
Thank you for taking the time to read and I truly appreciate any and all advice!

(I’ll be posting the same inquiry for Raleigh/Charlotte, NC. Another relocation option).

Last edited by Lovely.Kiki; 10-16-2015 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 02:10 PM

164 posts, read 252,896 times
I'm going to say Downtown Plano. Close to UTD which is known for its business/accounting programs. More of a 30s crowd than a 20s crowd. Walkable to a lot of cool restaurants and some night life, as well as a park, farmers market, and a community theater. Also walking distance to the DART train. It doesn't necessarily have the glittering beautiful people that you find in some areas of Dallas but at your price point and with your priorites I think it's a great fit. I also personally think this area is on the upswing and buying there would be a great investment. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2015, 02:11 PM

559 posts, read 937,026 times
I think you are asking 2nd question 1st.

When it comes to Dallas, ppl 1st focus on their work/college location and then think about where to stay. Commute in Dallas has its own issues so once you get into college then it makes sense to find good areas where 30+ professionals live in the area.

example: if you plan to join UTD (just an example) then finding a place in Legacy Town Center, Plano is a good option considering 20 to 30 minutes commute max each way.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:39 PM

Default Thank you, LIR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingInRichardson View Post
I'm going to say Downtown Plano. Close to UTD which is known for its business/accounting programs. More of a 30s crowd than a 20s crowd. Walkable to a lot of cool restaurants and some night life, as well as a park, farmers market, and a community theater. Also walking distance to the DART train. It doesn't necessarily have the glittering beautiful people that you find in some areas of Dallas but at your price point and with your priorites I think it's a great fit. I also personally think this area is on the upswing and buying there would be a great investment. Good luck!
Thank you, LookingInRichardson!
I will definitely look into this area! I am planning a list of areas to visit and this one will definitely be on this list.

Last edited by Lovely.Kiki; 10-16-2015 at 03:03 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 03:02 PM

Thank you Dallas_Cowboy,
I agree, I will research the Universities.
I appreciate your response.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:24 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
There are sometimes 2 bedroom condos in that budget (but hard to find) in the Knox Henderson area and zip 75204 if you go to SMU. That would be a good area for your interests

Old 10-16-2015, 03:43 PM

Omgoodness, someone from Norcal?!
Nice! Thank you for replying!

I will be paying cash for the home, so hopefully I can get a good deal or at least a stronger negotiating position. I have been reading about various areas and it's incredible how affordable things are in Dallas. I am really looking forward to moving and improving my quality of life- I just don't want to end up in party central. Is Dallas as wonderful as it is reputed to be?

Knox Henderson goes on the list!
and so does SMU!

Old 10-16-2015, 03:50 PM

233 posts, read 303,066 times
Depending upon your work location and tuition budget or loan amount that's acceptable for you, stay near UTD or SMU. SMU has a campus in Plano as well so that opens up your options.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:42 PM

Yes, DallasG Sir,
I would be working full time the first year so I can establish resident status and get resident tuition rate. My only expenses are Hoas, taxes(2.6%? yikes!) and basic living. I have 1 year savings fund that will cover living expenses during my studies as I can't work and go full time.
The loan I may have to take is a student loan to pay for tuition and living costs towards the end of my studies, but it's only 1.5yr program and very affordable. UTD is looking very nice (easier to get into) right now.

I will definitely look closely at Plano.
I work in finance/sales/customer service, and I see a lot of jobs I can get all over Dallas/ Uptown/Plano, etc.
Thank you for your suggestion, DG

Old 10-16-2015, 05:19 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
You could also look into UT Arlington. In that case you'd be living in Fort Worth; perhaps a condo in the Museum district. Or if you like the burbs, you could think about Bear Creek in Euless or Las Colinas.

https://wweb.uta.edu/accounting/defa...sa.program.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas