Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 11:06 AM

73 posts, read 112,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSoonerGuy View Post
You pretty much summed it up for me. The houses seem to be pretty big for the amount of the money you are spending but they just seem so generic. I'd rather drive an extra 10 minutes to Terrell to find something nicer.
Hahaha, thanks. Yeah, my sister lived there for awhile and we almost purchased there ourselves until we ended up finding something we liked better in Travis Ranch. The only flaw with your suggestion is that the Terrell schools are terrible. If you're not in need of schools, that's a good plan, but I think OP is. An older home in Forney would be ideal, no HOA, etc...or one of the other new build communities if that's more your style, just not Windmill Farms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 11,595 times
What about Travis ranch? It looks nice... Anyone know about quality of their houses? We saw a home there that we loved there but I just have to wonder why they're moving. (I know it could be a million different reasons I just worry that it could be something wrong with the house or the neighborhood?)

Old 01-13-2016, 12:17 PM

4 posts, read 11,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSoonerGuy View Post
You pretty much summed it up for me. The houses seem to be pretty big for the amount of the money you are spending but they just seem so generic. I'd rather drive an extra 10 minutes to Terrell to find something nicer.
Terrel looks great but the schools are rated very poorly. We have elementary aged kids so it rules out Terrell for us...

Old 01-13-2016, 12:23 PM

73 posts, read 112,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vylette View Post
What about Travis ranch? It looks nice... Anyone know about quality of their houses? We saw a home there that we loved there but I just have to wonder why they're moving. (I know it could be a million different reasons I just worry that it could be something wrong with the house or the neighborhood?)
I lived in Travis Ranch from 2006 to 2012. There's nothing wrong with the neighborhood that I know of, and the houses are usually built as well as any other new builds in the same price range. We moved just because we were looking to move back to Dallas proper and minimize our commute. My next-door neighbors moved the next year because they'd outgrown it. They bought the house while expecting their first baby and by the time they left Travis Ranch they had 5 kids. The elementary school is great, the neighborhood was good, the only thing I didn't like was the HOA, but most new-build communities like this will have them unfortunately. If you do choose Forney, Travis Ranch is an excellent choice.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:43 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,454,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vylette View Post
Terrel looks great but the schools are rated very poorly. We have elementary aged kids so it rules out Terrell for us...
Terrell schools have changed for better a lot in the past few years. The new superintendent has been doing an excellent job lifting up Terrell ISD. Their elementary schools are average or slightly above it and their high school is very good. Go to each school's website and look at the most recent performance numbers.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:19 PM

216 posts, read 281,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandcoffee View Post
Hahaha, thanks. Yeah, my sister lived there for awhile and we almost purchased there ourselves until we ended up finding something we liked better in Travis Ranch. The only flaw with your suggestion is that the Terrell schools are terrible. If you're not in need of schools, that's a good plan, but I think OP is. An older home in Forney would be ideal, no HOA, etc...or one of the other new build communities if that's more your style, just not Windmill Farms.
You're right. I actually looked at Terrell since I don't have kids and I don't plan on having any. You would think the schools would be better there.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:49 AM

11,872 posts, read 26,935,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Terrell schools have changed for better a lot in the past few years. The new superintendent has been doing an excellent job lifting up Terrell ISD. Their elementary schools are average or slightly above it and their high school is very good. Go to each school's website and look at the most recent performance numbers.
It's about time! Terrell schools were bad for decades. That new superintendent had their work cut out for them!

Old 01-20-2016, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandParent555 View Post
I think for a below $200k budget, Plano has very limited offerings and unless you have a well connected realtor, most of those will get snatched by cash buyers and investors. Forney fits the bill for your needs. If you are okay with longer commute and can do without the conveniences that Plano offers then you can be very happy in Forney. You'll have to compromise on quality of schools but you'll get more house and a more rural environment.

Most likely rural feel is not going to last for long but certainly never going to be as busy as Plano. Happiness is an attitude and Forney can't guarantee that.

Compromise on schools?

Old 01-20-2016, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 4,666 times
What is wrong with windmill farms? I'm thinking of purchasing a home there.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:19 PM

4 posts, read 4,795 times
You should look @ Skyline Estates, in Forney. The builder, Highland Homes, has been one of the highest rated builders in all of the metroplex for many years. I've had no warranty issues, & I've been here 10 years. What I like is that there won't be any further development around me. The land, on the east side & on the north side, are privately owned estates. To the west is Federally protected wetlands. To the south is Hwy 80. It's a small, QUIET area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: