Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 11:05 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know I went to Dallas for a mini vacation from NYC. When I arrived to Dallas at first it was like a culture shock. I have never seen so many Mexicans lol. Like literally everywhere. I felt like I was in Mexico or something. It was a great experience. I thought Dallas would be like in the Western movies of Cowboys, but no. I was surprised. I went to Forth Worth Stockyards. It was soo cool. I went to the rodeo show as well. I even bought me a cowboy hat lol. However I did not see much of Black people. Dallas does not have much of Black people or..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 12:20 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
As some of you may know I went to Dallas for a mini vacation from NYC. When I arrived to Dallas at first it was like a culture shock. I have never seen so many Mexicans lol. Like literally everywhere. I felt like I was in Mexico or something. It was a great experience. I thought Dallas would be like in the Western movies of Cowboys, but no. I was surprised. I went to Forth Worth Stockyards. It was soo cool. I went to the rodeo show as well. I even bought me a cowboy hat lol. However I did not see much of Black people. Dallas does not have much of Black people or..?
Most of the Blacks in Dallas are in Southern Dallas County....

Old 01-13-2016, 01:08 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,656 times
Quote:
Yes Dallas has a good amount of black people. Think of the metro as a meeting point of a southern more black region of the US on the eastern side and a western more Hispanic region of the US on the western side. With that said the western side of DFW "the Stockyards" is going to have less blacks than if you go further east or south of the metro.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:09 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
I'm going to echo what the above poster said. This map should give you an idea of what races reside were in the DFW area.

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:18 PM

143 posts, read 208,547 times
Quote:
There are lot of people from NYC that moved to dallas. I am one of them. I know a few other people and everyone seems to like Dallas

Old 01-13-2016, 01:51 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty14 View Post
There are lot of people from NYC that moved to dallas. I am one of them. I know a few other people and everyone seems to like Dallas
Aside from being a few hours drive from the mountains, I haven't heard of many complaints from my New York transplant friends. But they do say what they save in housing, they could buy a few plane tickets to the Rockies a year.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Dallas largest minority population is Hispanic, as you noticed. And they aren't all Mexicans. Many Hispanics are from El Salvador and other Central American countries.

As Hispanics have grown into the largest ethic group in Dallas, many middle class and "upper" lower class black families have "black flighted" to the suburbs, just as whites did when the black population was skyrocketing in the 1970's.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:59 PM

631 posts, read 885,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Dallas largest minority population is Hispanic, as you noticed. And they aren't all Mexicans. Many Hispanics are from El Salvador and other Central American countries.

As Hispanics have grown into the largest ethic group in Dallas, many middle class and "upper" lower class black families have "black flighted" to the suburbs, just as whites did when the black population was skyrocketing in the 1970's.
This is probably too much to process for someone who unironically makes a thread asking "So what's up with the blacks lol?" And here I was thinking Texas was supposed to be the backward one.

Last edited by aggie972; 01-13-2016 at 05:19 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 05:55 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
This is probably too much to process for someone who unironically makes a thread asking "So what's up with the blacks lol?" And here I was thinking Texas was supposed to be the backward one.
Meh, some people have said I say some pretty racist things, but it's kind of the norm in the NE.

I asked a coworker if he was legal since he was hispanic (it was relevant to the conversation), the other guys on the job said it's not something you should ask a person.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:45 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Meh, some people have said I say some pretty racist things, but it's kind of the norm in the NE.

I asked a coworker if he was legal since he was hispanic (it was relevant to the conversation), the other guys on the job said it's not something you should ask a person.
No idea where in the NE you are from but that is not the norm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: