Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:31 PM

446 posts, read 846,497 times

Advertisements

As someone else mentioned, you should spend more of the budget on quality pieces that will see a lot of use and then feel free to spend less on pieces that aesthetically meet your design standards, but may be of lower quality (i.e. made in China/Malaysia/Indonesia). Think about spending more on a hand-tied sofa and a quality dining table. Also, don't rush into buying things at local retailers. Research, research, research -- often, you can find the exact same piece from large mfrs like Bernhardt, Thomasville, etc. from out of state retailers at lower prices and it saves you the tax even though you'll spend a little more to get it delivered.

It also depends on if you want something customized w fabric choice etc. vs. off the rack. For sofas & living room chairs, check out places like Arhaus and Room & Board. They present decent values for good quality vs. something like NFM. If you do go to NFM, skip the regular living room section and go to the feature shops on the 2nd flr. See what you like in terms of piece and mfr, then research online to source it out of state from shops out of NC or FL.

For pieces that don't get a lot of use, but still may meet your design/aesthetic standard, check out Home Decorators Collection online and Overstock.com. HDC has many pieces that you can customize fabric on and they're always running 20% off + free ship deals. O.co has a range of quality, but you'll find good looking pieces that would suffice for less used furniture (guest BR beds/furniture, etc.) + they usually have free ship and 12% off cpns.

We've sourced from NC distributors, FL retailers, Arhaus, Ethan Allen, Z Gallerie, R&B, O.co, HDC, Crate & Barrel, PB, etc. and that's only for furniture! Lighting, bath fixtures, etc. have all been from various online retailers. It really does take a lot of time, but you'll end up saving a lot if you don't rush on furnishing all of the house in 1 go vs. researching and acquiring over a 3-6 mo timeframe.

EDIT: Beds for guest BRs -- go for foam mattresses. We bought ours at Walmart during various online sales for under $300 on queens for 12", well-reviewed foam mattresses. No need to spend over $400 on beds that will hardly get any use if you don't have ppl over very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 05:59 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Work with your budget. A few good pieces go a long way. A good sofa or chairs can make a living room. Go easy on fashionable patters and colors being pushed by big box stores. For accessories take a few days and work your way through stores like WorldMarket even Kohls, Kirklands or Michaels. Coupons can be your friends. Frame/stretch posters or pictures of home/vacations/themes to bring cheap personal touches throughout the house in. Go through museum web sites. Maps can cover a lot of wall space.

Finish your personal living/work space first, them move to the rest of the house. Please remember - less is more. You can add once yiu are settled in.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:43 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
$17K is a fine budget. If you are, however, in a hurry and just want to go to one store and buy a whole household to get a place furnished, you can do it for less. I was assuming you just want to set up a house quick and are not fussy. A person who really loves decorating would be interested in shopping carefully and selectively one room at a time. Otherwise you can just budget (Rooms to Go concept)

Livingroom: $2k
Dining: $1K
Master bedroom: $2K
Bedrooms (2): $3K for both
Office: $1K

Appliances: 1K used on Craigslist or if house comes w/fridge you can get a low end washer/dryer set for $1k

If have set up many houses and for basics you can do it for $10K

Old 02-29-2016, 12:52 PM
teb

83 posts, read 103,518 times
Nebraska furniture, they have everything. all price ranges. It's overwhelming.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:27 PM

769 posts, read 782,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teb View Post
Nebraska furniture, they have everything. all price ranges. It's overwhelming.
They have almost no modern furniture. They do have an enormous selection if you want to furnish your house in Rococo.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:17 PM

497 posts, read 696,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
EDIT: Beds for guest BRs -- go for foam mattresses. We bought ours at Walmart during various online sales for under $300 on queens for 12", well-reviewed foam mattresses. No need to spend over $400 on beds that will hardly get any use if you don't have ppl over very often.
Agree! I've bought two memory foam mattresses from Walmart.com. The gel version is better - IMHO - and does not hold body heat like the regular version.

spa sensation gel - Walmart.com

Old 02-29-2016, 04:13 PM

23 posts, read 27,508 times
OP,

We bought a lot of our furniture in the following places:

-Weir's in Plano (they have an outlet store upstairs, we bought a great bedroom set and sectional there)
-Laguna Madre (lots of neat stuff, some furniture and a lot of accessories)
-Online for office furniture (Wayfair and Officefurniture.com)

FYI there are a lot of furniture stores around the Midway and Alpha Rd area, we checked out several places there but never did buy anything that I can recall. Hope this helps, good luck.

BA

Old 03-01-2016, 03:51 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,418 times
Consignment stores in nicer neighborhoods can be great.
I've bought lots of things from Joss & Main (an online site, sister to Wayfair). So far, the items have been good quality and great prices.
Places like Pier One, World Market, Steinhart, and Home Goods can have great deals too.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:08 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Forney.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:02 PM

630 posts, read 658,160 times
I've bought high end modern furniture, always at a discount or sale. Even when no sale was available I always left my email or phone number and asked them to let me know when it's on sale...-many times I've gotten a message the next day that they would give me a discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas