Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,481 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

Due to personal family reasons, my wife and I are considering relocating from Chicago. I am an accountant and my wife is doing bachelors in Computer Science. We are considering west coast (Seattle) or Dallas, TX because many of my coworkers have moved there and said very good things about Dallas. But they are all different major then accounting, so my question is how good is the job market for mid-level accountants in Dallas?

My experience consists of long term verifiable contract work that adds up to 5 years of Staff Accountant experience and I am CPA candidate. Personally, I like the dynamic aspects of contract work and keeps accounting fresh for me.

What would be good area for south asian couple? And what kind of rent range should I expect in good area for one bedroom apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 09:22 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,489,659 times
I don't hear much about the business environment in Seattle, but I would think it is not a lot different than many of the mid-level accounting jobs in CA are moving to Texas.
If I remember right something like 200 companies have announced moves to Texas this year.
I think salaries are not that much different, maybe slightly higher in Seattle, but the cost of living is significantly less here in TX.

The exception might be tech....lots of small corp campuses in Seattle area...so you want to work for Microsoft, Amazon or probably one of the 100 spin offs or suppliers Seattle might be the place to be.

Deloitte and Cap Gemini have big offices here in DFW area, lots of fortune 500 companies have either HDQ in the area, or major presence.

Have you narrowed a list of companies who you want to work for? Have you talked to headhunters?

Old 07-20-2016, 09:55 AM

57 posts, read 109,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somedesi View Post
Greetings,

Due to personal family reasons, my wife and I are considering relocating from Chicago. I am an accountant and my wife is doing bachelors in Computer Science. We are considering west coast (Seattle) or Dallas, TX because many of my coworkers have moved there and said very good things about Dallas. But they are all different major then accounting, so my question is how good is the job market for mid-level accountants in Dallas?

My experience consists of long term verifiable contract work that adds up to 5 years of Staff Accountant experience and I am CPA candidate. Personally, I like the dynamic aspects of contract work and keeps accounting fresh for me.

What would be good area for south asian couple? And what kind of rent range should I expect in good area for one bedroom apartment?
In the DFW market there are more jobs for accountants then accountants available. You should have absolutely no issues finding a job. Contract work might pose some issues, however some of the smaller firms might be open to that. The Mid-large accounting firms will want you to come on board as a full time employee. If your looking to join industry then there are good positions there as well with many companies constantly looking for resources, again might be full time position vs contract.

You will find most of the south asian/desi population to be in around Plano, Frisco, Allen and Mckinney. Rent for a 1 bed will probably average $900-$1000 depending on where and how nice you are looking for.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,481 times
I don't have specific preference, I am mostly moving due to personal reasons. I was just wondering if the market is as good as Chicago for accounting but from what it looks like it might be better than Chicago. I have crossed out Seattle because of cost of living and other issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas