Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:26 AM

31 posts, read 37,760 times

Advertisements

I've decided to throw in Dallas as a city I'm considering for my next move since I have family there. I lived there in the late 90's-early 00's, but I know cities can change a lot over time. Dallasites, please don't take offense, but it seems like basically one huge strip mall and if all you're after is shopping and restaurant variety, you'll be in heaven. Obviously, personality means different things to different people. I'm looking for a place with a good art scene, filmmaker's scene, indie live theater, etc as well as a good city for lgbtq people. All the searches I do for these come up really unimpressive. Can anyone sell me on what the city has to offer in these categories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 11:49 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,412,010 times
It's as creative as you want it to be. What has come up in your own searches and where are you coming from that makes you feel as though this region would not be a good fit for you?
Granted, if you are coming from LA and looking to be involved in film production, that's not gonna happen.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:59 AM

274 posts, read 856,086 times
I spent most of my life in the New York area, and here's my perspective:

Is Dallas New York? No, but few places are. I think most people's view of Dallas is really a view of the Dallas suburbs rather than the city itself. You don't have the colossal entertainment scene that you'd have in New York or LA, but there is a LOT going on here if you know where to look.

There are too many awesome art galleries to count, especially in Trinity Groves and Oak Cliff. Since Dallas is still relatively affordable for artists, there's actually a growing arts community here. There aren't hundreds of museums, but the ones we have are wonderful, as are the museums in Fort Worth. I live in a neighborhood in East Dallas that is heavily populated with artists, and there are studio tours periodically.

There is live music EVERYWHERE. Local bands play outdoors at BBQ places across town, big acts are always coming through the stadiums and Fair Park, and Deep Ellum is overrun by bands every night of the week. If classical music is your thing, there are incredible performances in the Dallas Arts District all the time. The Dallas Opera does free outdoor simulcasts at the Cowboys stadium and in Klyde Warren Park, and thousands of people attend.

I know several local filmmakers, and there are a number of small film and theater festivals throughout the year. I could name more than a dozen small theater companies (try Cara Mia, Kitchen Dog, Bishop Arts, Second Thought, Theater3, African American Repertory, etc), and I think Dallas is particularly notable for the number of theater performances from diverse perspectives. If you check out the Angelika and Magnolia Theaters, they may have some of their film festival listings up. Bishop Arts Theatre Center has an LGBTQ theater festival coming up in September.

A large number of my friends and co-workers are LGBTQ, and Dallas has a big LGBTQ scene- and even a huge LGBTQ church (Cathedral of Hope) in Oak Lawn. If you're living in Greenville or some other rural suburb, you might have a problem, but in Dallas itself, I doubt you'd encounter any more bigotry than you would in most major cities.

It really all depends on where you live. I've found a lot of people here to be relatively insular within their own communities, mostly because the DFW area is just so huge. I've lived in walkable neighborhoods here that have a thriving independent business scene, and I've wandered around giant strip malls in Plano. Just choose to live closer to the city center and you'll probably get what you want.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:14 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,121,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzie85 View Post
I spent most of my life in the New York area, and here's my perspective:

Is Dallas New York? No, but few places are. I think most people's view of Dallas is really a view of the Dallas suburbs rather than the city itself. You don't have the colossal entertainment scene that you'd have in New York or LA, but there is a LOT going on here if you know where to look.

There are too many awesome art galleries to count, especially in Trinity Groves and Oak Cliff. Since Dallas is still relatively affordable for artists, there's actually a growing arts community here. There aren't hundreds of museums, but the ones we have are wonderful, as are the museums in Fort Worth. I live in a neighborhood in East Dallas that is heavily populated with artists, and there are studio tours periodically.

There is live music EVERYWHERE. Local bands play outdoors at BBQ places across town, big acts are always coming through the stadiums and Fair Park, and Deep Ellum is overrun by bands every night of the week. If classical music is your thing, there are incredible performances in the Dallas Arts District all the time. The Dallas Opera does free outdoor simulcasts at the Cowboys stadium and in Klyde Warren Park, and thousands of people attend.

I know several local filmmakers, and there are a number of small film and theater festivals throughout the year. I could name more than a dozen small theater companies (try Cara Mia, Kitchen Dog, Bishop Arts, Second Thought, Theater3, African American Repertory, etc), and I think Dallas is particularly notable for the number of theater performances from diverse perspectives. If you check out the Angelika and Magnolia Theaters, they may have some of their film festival listings up. Bishop Arts Theatre Center has an LGBTQ theater festival coming up in September.

A large number of my friends and co-workers are LGBTQ, and Dallas has a big LGBTQ scene- and even a huge LGBTQ church (Cathedral of Hope) in Oak Lawn. If you're living in Greenville or some other rural suburb, you might have a problem, but in Dallas itself, I doubt you'd encounter any more bigotry than you would in most major cities.

It really all depends on where you live. I've found a lot of people here to be relatively insular within their own communities, mostly because the DFW area is just so huge. I've lived in walkable neighborhoods here that have a thriving independent business scene, and I've wandered around giant strip malls in Plano. Just choose to live closer to the city center and you'll probably get what you want.
I think this post accurately sums it up! Dallas is fragmented, so overall it doesn't have much of a common bond or personality. Certain neighborhoods in Dallas proper do with their own unique flavor and vibe. Character and "soul" can be found in places such as Deep Ellum, Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts, Lower Greenville, East Dallas, and parts of Uptown/Oak Lawn/Downtown. You'll have to do more digging in Downtown/Uptown/Oak Lawn, but you'll find it there in spots. The rest of the city and especially most of the suburbs have the personality and soul of a strip mall and office park.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:00 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,250,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson999 View Post
I'm looking for a place with a good art scene, filmmaker's scene, indie live theater, etc as well as a good city for lgbtq people. All the searches I do for these come up really unimpressive. Can anyone sell me on what the city has to offer in these categories?
The LGBT crowd and scene has come a long way since you last lived here, the Oaklawn area is primarily a haven for this group, and it's only gotten bigger over the years, as well as the number of shops and clubs that cater to them.

However, as far as "character" goes... I think Dallas has only become more commercialized over the years. Sometimes I really miss the Dallas of old... When the West End was still thriving with shops, outdoor concerts, Dallas Alley, etc. I miss the old Deep Ellum, where live music was much more prevalent than it is now, and the whole area had a more "bohemian" vibe to it.

Now, shopping, restaurants, bars, and new high rise living are the name of the game. In some ways it's better. In others it is not.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post

However, as far as "character" goes... I think Dallas has only become more commercialized over the years. Sometimes I really miss the Dallas of old... When the West End was still thriving with shops, outdoor concerts, Dallas Alley, etc. I miss the old Deep Ellum, where live music was much more prevalent than it is now, and the whole area had a more "bohemian" vibe to it.
I wasn't here for either the old Deep Ellum or West End, but I feel like there's more live music and activity coming back to DE. At least in comparison to 4 years ago.

The West End has that mix of character, history, and tourism that should be way more vibrant than it actually is. What the heck happened to it?

Old 08-22-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Now, shopping, restaurants, bars, and new high rise living are the name of the game. In some ways it's better. In others it is not.
These aren't exactly bad things -- unless they're generic and cookie cutter. Not every neighborhood needs to have an apartment built over a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:53 PM

989 posts, read 2,444,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson999 View Post
I've decided to throw in Dallas as a city I'm considering for my next move since I have family there. I lived there in the late 90's-early 00's, but I know cities can change a lot over time. Dallasites, please don't take offense, but it seems like basically one huge strip mall and if all you're after is shopping and restaurant variety, you'll be in heaven. Obviously, personality means different things to different people. I'm looking for a place with a good art scene, filmmaker's scene, indie live theater, etc as well as a good city for lgbtq people. All the searches I do for these come up really unimpressive. Can anyone sell me on what the city has to offer in these categories?

I'm new here, but I think there are pockets of Dallas that may have what you're looking for. Oak Lawn, Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts/North Oak Cliff....

Old 08-22-2016, 08:12 PM

891 posts, read 1,056,243 times
You could have the best of both worlds if you look at Denton, TX.....pretty much everything you asked for and then Dallas is only 40 miles away for everything else.....

Old 08-22-2016, 08:42 PM

641 posts, read 803,403 times
Honestly, I may pose a question similar to this in City vs City:

I saw an interesting essay titled, "Cities and Ambition":

Cities and Ambition

Basically, it says: Great cities attract ambitious people. Those particular cities seem to send a message to it's inhabitants such as: You could do more, you could try harder. The surprising thing is how different these messages can be depending on the city.

Ex: New York's message above all: You should make more money. Of course there's other messages from NYC like: You should be hiper. You should be better looking etc, but the clearest message is that you should make more money.

Other examples the essay mentions:

Boston/Cambridge's clearest message: You should be smarter. You should really get around to reading all those books you been meaning to read.

Silicon Valley: You should be more powerful. Not powerful like NYC billionaire powerful but power like Larry Page (Google) power by affecting the world in major ways.

LA: Seems to be fame, whether it is to be an A list celebrity or in an A list celebrity's inner circle. Underneath that it is much like NYC with more of an emphasis on physical attractiveness.

DC: Seems to be who you know. Much like LA but instead of celebrities it's politicians. It's also places an emphasis on being behind social change.

Either way,

It's an interesting read. I don't think D/FW has personality in that regard. As far as ambition goes, the metro doesn't seem to send a message compared to other cities in the nation. But if we are comparing it to other cities inside the state, Dallas would definitely be the texas city with a message similar to NYC and that is: You should make more money. I'm not sure if FW sends a clear message. It's just a "live and let live" city that embraces modernism and its western heritage.

Sorry for the long response but the short answer is "no" compared to other US cities Dallas as a whole doesn't have personality but it is still a great place to live/work with segments that actually have personality. Hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas