Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 11:01 AM

12 posts, read 11,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Sigh. I don't know where/when the stereotype for Uptown became all about the $30k millionaire, but that is NOT how it really is in Uptown.

I used to live there, and while it does draw a younger crowd to the number of bars and restaurants, there are many people who live in the area who are NOT renting, and own townhomes and condos, and none of them are $30k millionaires. These are people with professional jobs and generally make a lot of money. It's not the $30k millionaires who are parking their Ferraris, Porsches, and Jags along McKinney Ave and the West Village.

There are also plenty of places for people who aren't into the "flashy" lifestyle... Idle Rich and the Gingerman immediately spring to mind. Tons of places are not pretentious at all.
This!

I too lived in Uptown before marriage and kids and I loved it. Yes, there may be a cheeseball or two, but you get that anywhere pretty much. I loved Gingerman, Primos (RIP) and other more low-key places. Plus, the easy access to AAC, Museums, Katy Trail, Deep Ellum, Design District, Park Cities and Greenville/Lakewood is ideal!

It's not all 30K millionaires. I have great memories from my time in uptown!

Last edited by TxNat_567; 12-01-2016 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 11:11 AM

631 posts, read 885,341 times
Quote:
Sigh. I don't know where/when the stereotype for Uptown became all about the $30k millionaire, but that is NOT how it really is in Uptown.

I used to live there, and while it does draw a younger crowd to the number of bars and restaurants, there are many people who live in the area who are NOT renting, and own townhomes and condos, and none of them are $30k millionaires. These are people with professional jobs and generally make a lot of money. It's not the $30k millionaires who are parking their Ferraris, Porsches, and Jags along McKinney Ave and the West Village.

There are also plenty of places for people who aren't into the "flashy" lifestyle... Idle Rich and the Gingerman immediately spring to mind. Tons of places are not pretentious at all.
I haven't been to Uptown at night in awhile, but last time I went, Idle Rich and Gingerman were pretty dead, and the new (or new back then anyway) clubby bars on Cedar Springs like Concrete Cowboy/6th Street/Kung Fu were the places everybody wanted to go. I feel like the truth is in the middle. Most people living there have above average, young professional incomes, but part of what makes their high spending lifestyles possible is a low savings rate and continuing support from upper class parents.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:35 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:

Agree 110%. A ton of the people (maybe more than half) that you see out in Uptown on the weekends don't even live there- especially at the more "club" kind of places. And many are "posing" as 30k millionaires and d-bags because they think that's what's expected. In reality, it's everything from young professionals to empty nesters. My building was a mix of 1/3 gay, 1/3 old, and 1/3 young professionals. And some DPD cops. And a small handful of SMU students.

I lived there for about 5 years and loved it. It's awesome to be able to roll out of bed and walk to Starbucks or LaDuni or Zaguan in the morning. The Katy Trail is amazing as are the dozens of boutique fitness studios. I was really involved with a lot of groups whose events and meetings were in the Uptown/ downtown area so that was super convenient too.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:45 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
I haven't been to Uptown at night in awhile, but last time I went, Idle Rich and Gingerman were pretty dead, and the new (or new back then anyway) clubby bars on Cedar Springs like Concrete Cowboy/6th Street/Kung Fu were the places everybody wanted to go. I feel like the truth is in the middle. Most people living there have above average, young professional incomes, but part of what makes their high spending lifestyles possible is a low savings rate and continuing support from upper class parents.
Maybe my crowd was different, but when I lived in uptown, the majority of my friends were attorneys (mostly at Big Law where starting salaries are $175k-ish, or other lucrative positions in finance, consulting, pharma sales, etc. I can't think of anyone who had parental support or who didn't put down 20% when they bought houses/townhomes (mostly in Uptown, M Streets, or Devonshire). I'm sure there are a lot of people in Uptown who do fit your description, but that wasn't my experience.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:14 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Uptown as a neighborhood is becoming more difficult to figure out. It used to have more of an identity as a young college grad hotspot. The nightlife scene is still there, but it's mostly limited to the weekends. During the week, it's very tame (if not quiet).

Old 12-01-2016, 11:20 PM

1,038 posts, read 876,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Uptown: $30k millionaires.
Some, yes, but a lot of real millionaires too. Don't get too confused on that. Even a $30k millionaire can't afford the lease on a Lambo or Bentley. Sounds like a bit of sour grapes to me...

I live in Uptown and for the year, I will enjoy it. If you can afford it, it's great

Old 12-02-2016, 03:26 PM

371 posts, read 625,009 times
I'm your age and have lived in Uptown for a couple of years. Lots of things to do for a single male in his 30s. Take a look at Uptown Dallas Inc.'s website because I know they have networking parties from time to time; great way to meet people. If you hit up the bars stay away from most of them on McKinney Ave as they skew young. Places closer to the West Village area or State Thomas area have a crowd more your age. The neighborhood is fairly safe if you don't do stupid things like leave your car or bicycle unlocked or leave a laptop on your car seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas