Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 41,940 times

Advertisements

My husband and I might be relocating to Dallas. My 4 year old son and 2 year old daughter are currently in an excellent Montessori in Chicago. I know it's too late to apply to the Dealey magnet for the 2008-2009 school year, but I was hoping to get my son into the KG for 2010. I know it is extremely competetive with only 27 pre-K spots for over 300 applicants and fewer KG spots. Does anyone know what they actually do/test during their observational screening/interview with each child at this age level since test scores don't apply to the kids that are so young? Also, do they have any special programs for ESL kids (although my son speaks English, my daughter still just speaks our Indian dialect at home). I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 01:13 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,479,589 times
It's very hard to get in for K at Dealey. Most of us just skip Dealey and try out for Harry Stone (as I did with my 4 yr old son) - it's the same type of school in south Oak Cliff. Because of the location, most do not apply for it. Keep in mind with the school being public, they still have to do standard tests...not the Montessori way. Some have a issues with this, but it's a free school.

My son did his observation a month or so ago. I don't even know what they did since parents are not allowed in the room. And at 4, he couldn't really tell me what they did. I did hear that one of their best PK/K teachers is about to retire...my oldest son had her (he's now 14) and she is truly Montessori while some of the others are not.

There is also a charter Montessori called Lindsley Park Community School in East Dallas.

Two well regarded Montessori schools are White Rock Montessori and St Alcuin. Both are pricey, but fantastic!

Old 04-02-2008, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 90,687 times
I will agree it is very hard for K at Dealey not because of testing but of course the process. Siblings have preference over any applicant and then the remaining spots go to outside applicants. Of course siblings have to pass the test as well but they receive priority. It's important to turn applications in very early if you miss the 1st day you might as well forget it. I've heard for pre-k K they ask body parts, colors, that kind of thing. And Elem level they have a non-montessori exam which seems weird since it's a Montessori school. My daughter attends White Rock Montessori some of her friends attend Dealey and they enjoy it very much.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 41,940 times
Default Does Dealey accept from outside of the DISD

Thanks to you both for your info...do you know if Dealey takes students that fall into the Plano or Richardson ISDs but are within Dallas city limits? Or do they only accept students from within DISDs geographic limits? Still not sure exactly where we'll be living.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:15 PM

It might be best for you to call the school directly to find out.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 19,449 times
I was a Dealey student for 4 years.
Great school!
If you haven't already, definately try and contact the school.
The staff is amazing!
Goodluck!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:36 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,052 times
DISD takes occasional out of district students but you must pay tuition (only like $2k a year). When I was in the magnet schools, all qualified in-district students had to be admitted before any tuition students could be admitted, and this never occured. Out of district kids just used grandma's address or whoever to get into the school. At some of the less desirable schools like Harry Stone (rather than Dealey) and KB Polk or Spence (rather than Travis) you might have a better chance at getting in out-of-district.

They have changed the system to where the top 30% are admitted regardless of which area of the district they reside in and then 70% of the spots are awarded proportionally based on the number of applicants from each region of the district (to ensure diversity socioeconomically and racially). I'm not sure with the new process if the 30% number can include out-of-district kids or not.

Basically, if you want to attend DISD magnet schools, you should live in DISD. DISD taxpayers are paying for the schools and those taxpayers should have first rights to use them.

One thing to keep in mind is that school district boundaries in Texas generally have nothing to do with municipal boundaries. DISD serves most, but not all of Dallas, and then parts of several other suburbs, many of which (like Carrollton or Duncanville) have school districts with the town in the name. For example, my parents' address is Farmers Branch, but the house is zoned to Dallas ISD schools and not Carrollton Farmers Branch schools. To attend CFB schools, we'd have to pay tuition.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:07 PM

I just drove past Dealey. Today is Jan 31st. Tomorrow on Feb 1st, first day applications are accepted. I was shocked to see about 20 tents outside camping for first in line. It's currently 35 degrees outside!!!! I wonder if those parents realize that being first in line is not a guarantee of admission. The kids still need to be interviewed and tested!!! I can't believe how over-reactive these parents are!!!

Old 01-31-2010, 04:24 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
I just drove past Dealey. Today is Jan 31st. Tomorrow on Feb 1st, first day applications are accepted. I was shocked to see about 20 tents outside camping for first in line. It's currently 35 degrees outside!!!! I wonder if those parents realize that being first in line is not a guarantee of admission. The kids still need to be interviewed and tested!!! I can't believe how over-reactive these parents are!!!
I hear ya. On the other hand, I've heard through the grapevine that it is best to be one of the first to get the application in for the magnets. I don't know why, since, as you say, there is more to do. It's never made sense to me.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:21 PM

I've always handed mine in on the first day, but around mid-morning without any problems. Never ever felt like I had to sleep in a tent on the front lawn in freezing temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas