Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 09:05 AM

25 posts, read 94,958 times

Advertisements

I'm about to retire in 5 years. Is Plano a good place for me to settle down?

I'm looking for a house in the below 100K to 150K range.

I'm asian too (chinese, vietnamese).

My wife doesn't drive so is there a reasonable means of public transportation there?

Are there any bad neighborhoods in Plano?

Thanks for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglim17 View Post
I'm about to retire in 5 years. Is Plano a good place for me to settle down?

I'm looking for a house in the below 100K to 150K range.

I'm asian too (chinese, vietnamese).

My wife doesn't drive so is there a reasonable means of public transportation there?

Are there any bad neighborhoods in Plano?

Thanks for your responses!
Richardson might be a better fit, but relying on public transportation might be a deal breaker. It's really hit or miss.

The downside here is the high property taxes with no income tax. Many retired people make less than they did while they were working, so the benefit of no income tax isn't as attractive, while your property tax remains high. For $150k you would probably be paying around $3k per year after your exemptions.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:56 AM

6,796 posts, read 14,018,392 times
I am not sure Plano would be a great fit for you. Not being able to drive would be a huge hinderance for your wife. I also think Richardson would be a better fit. Most of the public transportation to the burbs are not that great unless you live near a train line.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:08 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
The downside here is the high property taxes with no income tax. Many retired people make less than they did while they were working, so the benefit of no income tax isn't as attractive, while your property tax remains high. For $150k you would probably be paying around $3k per year after your exemptions.
If you are over 65 years old and plan to live in your home until you die and don't mind your heirs paying after your death, you can actually apply for a property tax deferral.
If this is granted, you don't pay any property tax for as long as you live in that home. It accumulates (at an 8% interest) and is due after you pass away. Ideal for child-less seniors!

DCAD - Exemptions

Old 02-27-2008, 11:51 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
It depends where you want to be transported. If you lived along the DART rail line, it would be helpful if she wanted to go downtown, or to the "Chinatown" in Richardson, which is right along the rail line. It's a shopping area with a lot of Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants. There's also a Chinese grocery store there (great prices!) and some other businesses. As far as visiting friends' houses or things like that, the train won't help much.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
It depends where you want to be transported. If you lived along the DART rail line, it would be helpful if she wanted to go downtown, or to the "Chinatown" in Richardson, which is right along the rail line. It's a shopping area with a lot of Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants. There's also a Chinese grocery store there (great prices!) and some other businesses. As far as visiting friends' houses or things like that, the train won't help much.
Also, since they are retirement age they might be eligible for the DART assistance rides where they literally come to your door and pick you up and take you to doctors appointments.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:56 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Also, since they are retirement age they might be eligible for the DART assistance rides where they literally come to your door and pick you up and take you to doctors appointments.
I didn't know about that, how great! Also speaking of doctor's appointments, Presbyterian Dallas Hospital/doctors offices are also convenient to the train (if they are not eligible for DART assistance.)

Old 02-27-2008, 04:04 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
'Tis true... I have a neighbor that goes for dialysis twice a week on the Dart assistance ride bus ... they come right to the door and the driver assists her out to the bus and back into her home when returning... a truly great service!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:05 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
There isn't a train stop around Belt Line though which is where all of the asian businsses are. The train goes right passed it. You have to get off at Arapaho or Spring Valley and make a very very long walk.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:56 AM

25 posts, read 94,958 times
Default thanks for the input!

So, Im guessing Richardson is the best place to look. But what are the differences between living there as opposed to Plano? Is there higher crime? Expensive housing?

Thanks guys/gals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas