Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:01 AM

771 posts, read 932,411 times

Advertisements

The temperature of the pool water in April is generally in the 60's. I swim in our pool usually starting in March or so, without heating it, but I do it as part of my workout routine, and when it's that cold I wear a wet suit. Most people start getting in their pool when it's in the 75+ range, that usually in May like others have said.

When our kids used to use the pool all the time, we would turn the heat on in April-Oct, with occasional use even into November some years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 10:06 AM

537 posts, read 597,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Depending on your tolerance for water temps, late May until mid to late September. I'm more of a mid-June to early September girl myself.
It varies for everyone. Most of the public pools open either April 1st or May 1st, and closing dates vary from August 31st to September 31st.

Personally, the only months I never swim are November, December, January, and February because it's often warm enough in the other months for me to swim (I don't have a deep pool so the water temperature changes more quickly in response to outside temps). I am an active swimmer so warm up in water that might be too cold for people who just lounge in the water. July and August are actually often too hot for me to swim but just right for sunbathing and then dipping in the water.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:15 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
It's a high of 80 today in DFW. That's definitely pool season for most folks, but the water might be a bit cold.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:06 AM

551 posts, read 1,098,236 times
It depends on how much sun your pool gets and what the minimum temp is you are will to swim at. Our pool was heavily shaded and my family and friends don't like water colder than 78. Because of that we couldn't use it until late July. It stayed warm until end of September. If you use a solar cover it will add a couple weeks on each end of your season.

As for power consumption there are factors as well. If you are just running the main pump, and you have a modern variable speed pump, there is not much power used. Maybe $20-$30 a month. If you are running hot tubs, water features, or have an old single speed pump that will consume more.

Outside of a solar cover there are other ways to extend you season. I know you mentioned not heating but it really doesn't cost that much in the shoulder months. April, May and June are usually warm enough during the day to warm the pool to swimming temps. The issue is heat loss at night. If you just heat a bit in at night to prevent the loss then you can maintain your water temperature.

Heat pumps extract heat from the air and are extremely efficient to run.

Gas heaters a the fastest and cheapest to purchase. Gas is cheap right now but if you don't have an adequate gas line it gets expensive to install.

There are also solar powered heaters. They basically run pipeline for you filter up through solar panels that are usually placed on the roof. There is no additional energy cost other than a little more strain on the pump.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:46 AM

712 posts, read 841,177 times
an inexpensive solar pool cover (the 'bubble wrap' like ones $100/$200) PAY for themselves many times over - can extend season WITHOUT running an expensive heater- and can even seriously reduce heater costs if used in conjunction with a heater (any type).

It's mainly prevents night-time evaportive cooling, which is what really steals the heat from the water.. . . fyi

Old 02-07-2017, 12:26 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times
Quote:
Depending on your tolerance for water temps, late May until mid to late September. I'm more of a mid-June to early September girl myself.
Sounds more like the pool season in the Northeast than Texas.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:26 PM

630 posts, read 657,073 times
Never had a pool. But doesn't it depend on the volume of water?

I imagine those small pools people install in tiny yards get cold/warm up very fast with the change in season, compared to a large deep pool.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:30 PM

309 posts, read 811,695 times
Useful comments from all, many thanks for the responses. A pool cover sounds like a plan if I end up finding a rental home with a pool that doesn't have one.

My current home in Australia has a pool that is in the sun all day and I started using the pool October 1st and last year went through till early May with no cover or heaters. Currently the pool is almost tepid but I'd rather that than shockingly cold! It is however still refreshing on these hot and humid days.

I think from what I have heard that if I can find a good SFH with a pool for rent at the right time I shall go for that - as one of you mentioned, a win-win situation when a rental.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:43 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Quote:
Same for us. Although in August it is like bathwater and not very refreshing.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:22 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Same here, the mid-June to early September. Kids, however, March through October!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas