Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,561,271 times

Advertisements

We were at my parents house near Lantana--it ranged from pea size to a few (very few) baseball size. Very wide variation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 12:51 PM

772 posts, read 937,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
In my experience, yes the roofers will inspect without an insurance claim, but they won't do any work so it doesn't hurt to call your insurance company. If they ever don't recommend major repairs including roof replacement after a storm, I'd be surprised.
This is terrible advice. Calling your insurance company counts as a claim, whether any work is performed or not. That's going to affect your rates when it's time for renewal.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:03 PM

450 posts, read 556,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
This is terrible advice. Calling your insurance company counts as a claim, whether any work is performed or not. That's going to affect your rates when it's time for renewal.
Source? Per Amica, this is incorrect. It does go on the CLUE report, but it will not affect your rates if nothing is claimed.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
Source? Per Amica, this is incorrect. It does go on the CLUE report, but it will not affect your rates if nothing is claimed.
Ask yourself, why would it need to go on the CLUE report at all if it doesn't lead to increased premiums?

https://www.houselogic.com/finances-...urance-report/

What a surprise, your insurance company says it won't affect your rates... HA!

Trust me, your premiums and insurability will take a hit. This is from someone who has owned multiple properties both residential and commercial, and have had to deal with claims adjusters many times in my life.

You shouldn't get insurance involved unless you KNOW there will be a claim made.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:15 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,218,444 times
I would get on it ASAP. Last spring we had two horrible hail storms back to back. The first one included hail that was so big that my pool looked like the Bellagio fountain when hail fell into it. It turns out that every home on my street needed a new roof and the homeowners who called immediately got their roofs replaced many months sooner.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I would get on it ASAP. Last spring we had two horrible hail storms back to back. The first one included hail that was so big that my pool looked like the Bellagio fountain when hail fell into it. It turns out that every home on my street needed a new roof and the homeowners who called immediately got their roofs replaced many months sooner.
My pool looked like the scene from Saving Private Ryan when the Allies were storming the beach at Normandy and machine guns were firing in the water.

We got significant quantity of hail, just not sure if the size was big enough to cause damage.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:36 PM

19,803 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
I'm having a soda with my insurance guy at the 19th hole. You are right.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Your insurance guy is feeding you a line of bull.

Most homeowners have a discount applied to their policy for being claim free, which can be 5-10% typically.

Having an incident reported on the CLUE report has now cost you that 5-10% discount, as well as counting against you if you are shopping for another insurance firm.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

Just got off the phone with independent roofer, he confirmed the same thing as well.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:45 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
Quote:
Just got off the phone with independent roofer, he confirmed the same thing as well.
We filed a claim last year, and our insurance went up by $140 or so this year. Hardly worth deciding to file a claim or not, considering that nearly everyone else on our street did as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas