Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:25 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Interest is charged just as much, if not more, to compensate the lender for lending their money to the borrower.
Maybe, but when you invest in the stock market, are you given the same consideration?

There are plenty of places that don't trust you to pay them back, so they don't give you the product ahead of time. It's called 'layaway'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 01:04 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Maybe, but when you invest in the stock market, are you given the same consideration?

There are plenty of places that don't trust you to pay them back, so they don't give you the product ahead of time. It's called 'layaway'.
I don't see what the stock market and layaway has to do with mortgages. Mortgage lenders, stock holders and retail stores offering layaway all determine and manage risk differently. My only point remains that when interest on a mortgage is charged it's not solely to cover risk. It's also to provide the lender a return.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:34 PM

186 posts, read 158,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That's damning us with faint praise, though. "At least traffic here moves!"

Small consolation when your office hasn't moved, YOU haven't moved, yet your commute time doubles in the space of 2-3 years. That's crap, and it's worth complaining about. (In case you're wondering...yes, we blame YOU, the people who keep moving here.)
It may seem like damning with faint praise, until you've experienced what I and others have described. I arrived home from N. Dallas the other evening (I'm in NW Arlington) and it took me not quite an hour, in crap traffic. I'll take that over what I had to deal with in Atlanta. What ever your issues here, they would be many times worse there (and elsewhere apparently). How ever long it takes you to get home from work, in traffic here, at least double that, easily tripled. I'm grateful for the quality of problems I have, thank you very much. And complaining only makes me feel WORSE.

If you insist on blaming people, leave me out. I'm grandfathered in from 31 years of living here (born and raised) prior to my time served in Atlanta.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Again View Post
It may seem like damning with faint praise, until you've experienced what I and others have described. I arrived home from N. Dallas the other evening (I'm in NW Arlington) and it took me not quite an hour, in crap traffic. I'll take that over what I had to deal with in Atlanta. What ever your issues here, they would be many times worse there (and elsewhere apparently). How ever long it takes you to get home from work, in traffic here, at least double that, easily tripled. I'm grateful for the quality of problems I have, thank you very much. And complaining only makes me feel WORSE.

If you insist on blaming people, leave me out. I'm grandfathered in from 31 years of living here (born and raised) prior to my time served in Atlanta.
Yeah, I'm just a hick who's never lived anywhere else.

I've sat in traffic jams in Tel Aviv, Warsaw, Berlin, Paris, and London. All as the driver. I once sat in a traffic jam on the M4 in England that lasted for 4 hours because a driver decapitated himself when he flipped his convertible over.

I've ridden commuter trains where we sat in the same spot for hours miles from the nearest platform with non-functioning bathrooms and no food or water. There's a fun commute for ya.

I've been in subway stations where people were packed so tight that you literally couldn't put your own hand in your pocket because of how close everyone else was to you. You barely had to walk at all...the crowd would almost carry you. Explore some Underground stations at rush hour on a cold rainy winter's night sometime. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.

So yeah...been there, done that.

I still think Dallas traffic sucks.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:24 AM

19,803 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Again View Post

Listen don't get drawn into it to far with the other poster.

The fact is DFW traffic is better than nearly all/maybe all peer cities. It's just amazing to me that people don't understand that or will not acknowledge it. People expecting a metro of 7 million + to have short commutes are being cartoonish - the only rational way to look at it is to compare DFW to like cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas

IMO eyeballing the top 10 or 11 metros all except for maybe Chicago and Miami have traffic that is way worse than DFW. I'd argue that Chicago is worse to drive in than Dallas but the city sports shorter driving commutes and pretty decent public transportation so it arguable. I've only driven in Miami a few times but some of its commuting stats. look pretty decent.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:59 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,244,443 times
I've driven extensively in Chicago and Miami, I'd say both are worse commutes than Dallas.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:59 PM

3,892 posts, read 2,207,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yeah, I'm just a hick who's never lived anywhere else.

I've sat in traffic jams in Tel Aviv, Warsaw, Berlin, Paris, and London. All as the driver. I once sat in a traffic jam on the M4 in England that lasted for 4 hours because a driver decapitated himself when he flipped his convertible over.

I've ridden commuter trains where we sat in the same spot for hours miles from the nearest platform with non-functioning bathrooms and no food or water. There's a fun commute for ya.

I've been in subway stations where people were packed so tight that you literally couldn't put your own hand in your pocket because of how close everyone else was to you. You barely had to walk at all...the crowd would almost carry you. Explore some Underground stations at rush hour on a cold rainy winter's night sometime. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.

So yeah...been there, done that.

I still think Dallas traffic sucks.
I've read that traffic in Japanese/Chinese cities is no fun either.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:19 PM

19,803 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I've driven extensively in Chicago and Miami, I'd say both are worse commutes than Dallas.
Thx for that.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:14 AM

712 posts, read 842,782 times
New Toll/HOV lane(s) on I35E north (middle-segment).. (over LakeLewisville bridge) is OPEN now (just this week) - part of the billion$ expansion there - the new Half-Billion$ Lewisville bridge now open and complete- gonna open up a HUGE area (northwest) to 'join' the metroplex (long 'cursed' by realtors because of the 'terrible' traffic @lake lewisville bridge) - my non-toll-lane rush-hour commute thru there averaged 60mph yesterday (and construction not even finished); folks on the new toll lanes were going 80 !

Old 05-23-2017, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,025 times
I've lived here 27 years. It is not handling the growth well at all unless you own a concrete or highway construction company. The scam has been to build an HOV lane, pour concrete, meet the Federal Clean Air mandate for 2-3 years. Tear it all up, add 2-3 more lanes, but make them toll roads. There is not a major highway project in DFW that does not involve a toll road. I'd like to see a Better Call Saul type file a class action suit against the state of Texas because these roads have been paid for with gas taxes, but the gas tax fund has been siphoned off into the "rainy day" slush fund. That said, they are the best way to get around gridlock. Rush hour doesn't count as there is no way to avoid that. Take a secondary road and relax or find a watering hole to wait it out.

Road rage, inexperienced drivers, uninsured drivers, "professional" truckers, lots of drivers that just do not care, lots of drivers with a me number one attitude that will race you to the stop light, exit, or cut you off just to be ahead of you. The ending of soccer mom season (school) used to be a relief, but it's just the beginning falling weed wacker and water hose season.

A new construction starter home is $350,000. Yeah, right. There's a shortage of new construction homes because the more profitable trend is the live, work, play apartment/condo communities. The funny thing is, no one works or plays there. They are sitting in traffic or a bar.

Churches, we got them. Drive like the devil except on Sunday...at least until you get out of the parking lot. Maybe.

Schools? The kids are as stressed as their parents. A good school is defined by their football success.

Oh, and speaking of the Federal Clean Air standards, yes, you can see what you are breathing and if you have a pulmonary or respiratory condition you can feel it too. The weathermen are making book on the number heat index and ozone alert days.

Thanks to all the concrete, there is really only one season in the heart of DFW. You have to be a minimum of 30 miles away to get two seasons.

I will not pump gas without a pistol in my pocket. Why would anyone want to relocate their corporate HQ here or consider retiring here is beyond me. Go ahead and flame away. I've only got 3 more years or an early retirement offer until I'm out of this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas