Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Move to Dallas: nurse and training firefighter, very active family, grand homes floor plans

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:06 PM

25 posts, read 92,171 times

Advertisements

Ok heres the deal. me and my wife currently live in phoenix. AZ
we know we want to move but have no clue where. dallas came to mind because its a big city like phoenix and we kinda like that.
i was wondering if any body could help me out as far as would dallas work for a family like mine.
My wife is going to be a nurse and im training to be a firefighter and take the classes as well. we have a newborn and a two year old at the moment.
don't think we are having anymore. we are a very active family and are looking for someplace where we wont be bored after 2 years.
also what side of dallas are the safest. and does anybody have any advice on "grand Homes" i love there floor plans.
if there is any thing else you can tell me about Dallas i would really appreciate it also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisedude111 View Post
we know we want to move but have no clue where. dallas came to mind because its a big city like phoenix and we kinda like that.
i was wondering if any body could help me out as far as would dallas work for a family like mine.
My wife is going to be a nurse and im training to be a firefighter and take the classes as well. we have a newborn and a two year old at the moment.
don't think we are having anymore. we are a very active family and are looking for someplace where we wont be bored after 2 years.
also what side of dallas are the safest. and does anybody have any advice on "grand Homes" i love there floor plans.
if there is any thing else you can tell me about Dallas i would really appreciate it also.
Grand Homes are one of those builders where you go through the model and you fall in love with the upgrades, then find out that the base price of $250k would turn into $400k if you got all of the upgrades in the model. I'd seriously look at David Weekly or Paul Taylor, where the homes come with a good bit of what would be considered upgrades in a Grand or Toll Brothers home, at a much better price.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:57 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
Why do you want to leave Phoenix?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:19 AM

37 posts, read 129,144 times
Quote:
Beware of Grand Homes....we tried to build one with them several years ago because as the other poster said, their models are drop-dead gorgeous and really suck you in. Their staff is inept, everything you want to do is an upgrade, and the process takes forever. They lied to us as well, and they told us they could not build our home just like the model because they'd lost the master blueprints....who wants to do business with an outfit like that?

Where you choose to live in Dallas depends on what you really want. Do you want a big yard or a big house or both? What kind of commute are you willing to make? How big a factor are real estate taxes? How important is the school district to you? Do you want a community with parks, pool, etc., or a sense of privacy? The recent extension of the North Dallas Tollway to U.S. 380 has made getting around much easier (but not necessarily cheap!). Communities to the north such as Prosper and Celina are now easier to commute to/from because of this extension (which will be further extended to the Oklahoma border at some point in the future).

Most new home communities come with tiny yards but have a community center with clubhouse and pool, and perhaps some walking paths or other subdivision amenities. You can also find acreage lots, sometimes with a community pool, sometimes not, but they nearly always have a sense of community within their own subdivision. In my experience, it's easier to get acquainted with your neighbors if you have a front-entry garage rather than the rear-entry/alley subdivisions. For some, it's just a matter of personal preference. Also, there are so many youth activities in nearly all of the Dallas area, such as youth baseball, football, soccer, cheerleading, swimming, etc., and of course there are places to take dance classes, horseback riding, boating, hunting....and naturally, lots of places to eat and shop. I find most people in Texas to be fairly friendly, but of course, you can find "stinkers" no matter where you go.

Good luck with the move; hope you find just what you're looking for.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Why do you want to leave Phoenix?
My brother was shot and killed in a bad part of phoenix and i
cant stand it because its getting really old here.
dont get me wrong though we have really nice parts of phoenix and i would recommend alot of areas but i have to get out.
i just hope i dont become a dallas maverick fan lol (go Phoenix)

Old 03-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNina83 View Post
Beware of Grand Homes....we tried to build one with them several years ago because as the other poster said, their models are drop-dead gorgeous and really suck you in. Their staff is inept, everything you want to do is an upgrade, and the process takes forever. They lied to us as well, and they told us they could not build our home just like the model because they'd lost the master blueprints....who wants to do business with an outfit like that?

Where you choose to live in Dallas depends on what you really want. Do you want a big yard or a big house or both? What kind of commute are you willing to make? How big a factor are real estate taxes? How important is the school district to you? Do you want a community with parks, pool, etc., or a sense of privacy? The recent extension of the North Dallas Tollway to U.S. 380 has made getting around much easier (but not necessarily cheap!). Communities to the north such as Prosper and Celina are now easier to commute to/from because of this extension (which will be further extended to the Oklahoma border at some point in the future).

Most new home communities come with tiny yards but have a community center with clubhouse and pool, and perhaps some walking paths or other subdivision amenities. You can also find acreage lots, sometimes with a community pool, sometimes not, but they nearly always have a sense of community within their own subdivision. In my experience, it's easier to get acquainted with your neighbors if you have a front-entry garage rather than the rear-entry/alley subdivisions. For some, it's just a matter of personal preference. Also, there are so many youth activities in nearly all of the Dallas area, such as youth baseball, football, soccer, cheerleading, swimming, etc., and of course there are places to take dance classes, horseback riding, boating, hunting....and naturally, lots of places to eat and shop. I find most people in Texas to be fairly friendly, but of course, you can find "stinkers" no matter where you go.

my kids education is very important to me as well as there active well being.like youth sports and things.
i know im looking for a good new home but have no idea where is best for a young family like mine.
im looking to be a firefighter so hopefully i wont have to commute real far but im used to it in phoenix.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:29 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
My brother was shot and killed in a bad part of phoenix and i
cant stand it because its getting really old here.
dont get me wrong though we have really nice parts of phoenix and i would recommend alot of areas but i have to get out.
i just hope i dont become a dallas maverick fan lol (go Phoenix)
Gotcha. Alot of us like Dallas just because it is a pleasant city with stuff to do, nice people and a vibrant *buzz* about it. There's a neat established history to it yet it is very much a city of possibilities and focus on the future. It has its share of problems and there are people who won't like it here, that's ok too. Growing up in San Diego I have been over to Phoenix a bunch of times and never really liked it. To me Phoenix always felt plastic and just kinda slapped together overnight. Dallas has been a big, important city for longer than the last 20 years. But some people love Phoenix. Again to each their own. You could do alot worse having a young family and looking for a change of scenery than Dallas. I say come out here and visit.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Gotcha. Alot of us like Dallas just because it is a pleasant city with stuff to do, nice people and a vibrant *buzz* about it. There's a neat established history to it yet it is very much a city of possibilities and focus on the future. It has its share of problems and there are people who won't like it here, that's ok too. Growing up in San Diego I have been over to Phoenix a bunch of times and never really liked it. To me Phoenix always felt plastic and just kinda slapped together overnight. Dallas has been a big, important city for longer than the last 20 years. But some people love Phoenix. Again to each their own. You could do alot worse having a young family and looking for a change of scenery than Dallas. I say come out here and visit.
i am going to visit for sure this summer so that will kinda give me a better idea of the city and everything.
maybe about a week
i hope thats enough time to get a feel for the city.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:52 AM

4 posts, read 22,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNina83 View Post

Hi,

Just I am telling my experience with Grand.

I looked at the Grand Model and fallen in love with it. I signed a contract telling the Sales agent and Builder that my new home should look like Model only with out all the fancy upgrades which will be in Model.

Even though there are small differences during construction Process they resolved them to my satisfaction and worked hard to make me happy.
I just closed the house few days back and I am very happy with the work and the understanding they have shown during the construction Process.

My house is in Wyngate Community in Frisco and I am very happy to share my experience with construction process with any one.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 AM

70 posts, read 314,883 times
cruisedude,

my wife and i moved to dallas from az as well about 4 months ago and we really like Dallas a lot. As you pointed out, it is a big city and convenience wise, its hard to beat a big city. Dallas has more malls and restaurants on a per sq foot basis than another other city i been to and we find that extremely attractive. Not that i encourage everyone to shop and eat out all the time but the options u have available when i need are incredible. Most everything u find in AZ (except Trader Joe's) u will find in Dallas - ncluding more outlets, same and more restaurants, frys electronics.
Roads are in terrific shape, traffic is a bear at rush hour regardless of where u like - thats my opinion anyway and there are things u can do but the traffic is bad), people are friendly.
Housing values are lower than Phoenix/Tucson but property taxes are more. That gets somewhat offset by the fact that you wont pay income taxes over here.
Just like you, my wife and I fell in love with the plans that Grand Homes offered and those were the first homes we visited after we moved here but as several posters have noted, u will pay an arm and a leg for their homes when all done. WE ended up buying a David Weekley and couldnt be more thrilled.
Good luck to you and your family and let me know if I can be of any help at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: