Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 08:44 AM

1,042 posts, read 1,199,258 times

Advertisements

By the way Woodrow managed to get a National Merit Semifinalist this year:

https://thehub.dallasisd.org/2020/09...rship-program/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 10:43 PM

125 posts, read 151,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75214Dad View Post
Did you transfer in? How did you qualify?

p.s. Zaragoza is zoned to Spence/ North Dallas HS
Went to long (it was my home middle) then I got transferred to Dade (DISD zoning crap), where I realized I would not get the education I needed there. So I tested into Dealey 8th grade (one of the best things that ever happened to me).

Last edited by skyline122; 09-13-2020 at 10:58 PM..

Old 09-13-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThopeful View Post
So you would not recommend for anyone else considering Lakewood? Are the IB classes mostly Lakewood kids?
Now alot of my post was generally biased. But definitely most of the IB classes are Lakewood kids. Personally, I would not recommend Long, but I had a bad experience there so take it with a grain of salt.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
I wouldn’t read too much into that poster. They went to Long for one year a long time ago and our clearly negative towards the affluent Lakewood population.

Families with kids currently in Long and living in Lakewood that I have spoken to (I live in Lakewood) are happy with Long and very happy with Woodrow.
Yeah I 100% agree. I had a terrible experience there and I'm making it known. But yeah it makes sense that families with kids who live in Lakewood have good experiences there, - kindof my point -.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:25 AM

1,042 posts, read 1,199,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline122 View Post
Yeah I 100% agree. I had a terrible experience there and I'm making it known. But yeah it makes sense that families with kids who live in Lakewood have good experiences there, - kindof my point -.

I seem to remember a Dallas Observer headline from a few (10?) years ago that read something like "Woodrow Wilson is a great high school -- if you're white". Couldn't find it on Google just now so maybe I'm misremembering.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:55 PM

617 posts, read 1,044,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
I seem to remember a Dallas Observer headline from a few (10?) years ago that read something like "Woodrow Wilson is a great high school -- if you're white". Couldn't find it on Google just now so maybe I'm misremembering.

Here's a link to that article, which kicked off a big debate, that's for sure --

https://www.webcitation.org/6btnBTsW....5e1d781e.html

The Wikipedia entry on Woodrow has a whole section dedicated to that controversy --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodro...'s_article

IMHO, those issues are present at every school in America which serves a socioeconomically diverse range of students. It's good to be frank about the challenges and tensions, while crediting people's best efforts, but I wouldn't blame Woodrow for being any worse than any of its peers in that respect...

Old 09-14-2020, 04:07 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,125,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
Here's a link to that article, which kicked off a big debate, that's for sure --

https://www.webcitation.org/6btnBTsW....5e1d781e.html

The Wikipedia entry on Woodrow has a whole section dedicated to that controversy --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodro...'s_article

IMHO, those issues are present at every school in America which serves a socioeconomically diverse range of students. It's good to be frank about the challenges and tensions, while crediting people's best efforts, but I wouldn't blame Woodrow for being any worse than any of its peers in that respect...
What's interesting is back then Woodrow had about 300 White kids, now it has close to 600. There clearly has been a strong trend towards Lakewood area White students attending Woodrow. Woodrow is now about 50/50 in terms of Economically Disadvantage Students (while most of DISD is 90% ED).

Old 09-28-2020, 01:26 PM

617 posts, read 1,044,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
What's interesting is back then Woodrow had about 300 White kids, now it has close to 600. There clearly has been a strong trend towards Lakewood area White students attending Woodrow. Woodrow is now about 50/50 in terms of Economically Disadvantage Students (while most of DISD is 90% ED).
Very interesting, thanks. I looked up the details here:

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/s...87/school.aspx

Apparently, back in 1988, white students at Woodrow numbered 343 (i.e. 26% of a much smaller student body) and declined in both numerical and percentage terms to 222 in 2010 (15.6% of students then).

So the 559 white students in 2019 (28.7% of students) are not only 2x the absolute number in 2010 (the all-time low), but a higher percentage than even 30 years ago.

Hispanic students have numbered between 60 and 70 percent of the student body, virtually every year since 1991, growing and shrinking in absolute numbers along with the overall count. While the percentage of black students has been mostly declining every year.

The percentage of economically disadvantaged students hovered between 51 and 57 percent since 2005, but then dropped to 47 percent in 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas