Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 04:06 PM

8,157 posts, read 3,700,102 times

Advertisements

So, let's see, first an article appears that shortage might happen, and then several hours later it does...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 04:06 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,650,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
yes - people are causing a panic out there on gas; reporters are now talking about it on radio and tv - adding 'fuel to the fire'.
I went to SAMS at lunchtime to pickup prescription - fuel station shut down (empty).

This store is normally empty during day, but parking lot was PACKED! ??? I had several minutes to burn while waiting for Rx, so i walked around; crazy people were packing carts with food - thats right, already panic food buying. Overheard several couples arguing 'how much to buy' - one couple was shoving 10 50# bags of RICE into two carts ?#?#?#?#? while talking about what they should load up next to have 'just in case' . .
How many calories do people think they'll need? One cup of raw rice equals about 3 cups cooked, and one cup of cooked rice has roughly 200 calories. A 50 lb bag has about 122 cups of uncooked rice, so 366 cups cooked, or roughly 73 THOUSAND calories.

If we assume the "average" person consumes 2,000 calories per day...heck, assume it's all the way up to 3,000 as they have to be active keeping away looters during the Coming Apocalypse, and if literally the only thing they have to eat is rice (which would cause other problems, of course) and every supermarket of ever is inaccessible - one 50 lb bag of rice alone is still enough to feed the erstwhile couple for almost two weeks.

Maybe they have 13 kids or something. No, I know, they're just crazy. And not too bright.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:27 PM

422 posts, read 543,506 times
Looks to me like I'll just have to ride the Harley a little more than I already do, gets better mileage than either of my cars.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:30 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,037,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If you can't buy, you need to get in conserve mode.

The gas lines reminds me of the 70's when you could only buy 10 gallons and had 2 days a week to get gas.
Cars are significantly more fuel efficient than they used to be back then.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:44 AM

990 posts, read 2,305,165 times
Austin and San Antonio are seeing the same things. I saw an earlier poster say otherwise, but people in Austin and San Antonio are saying they are seeing the same things.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:47 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,037,963 times
I'm in San Antonio & yup. Yesterday was absolute pandemonium at gasoline stations.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:59 AM

375 posts, read 319,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
I called several friends in Austin. No run on gas there. Apparently this shortage is only in the DFW area

It's totally just the media causing this mass hysteria which is causing people with 3/4 full gas tanks to unnecessarily panic and start topping off, as well as other people hoarding gas. It's quite ridiculous. I'm from New Orleans and was living there during Katrina and the gas stations didn't look like they do today in North Dallas. The social media age has caused people to lose their damn minds.

I'm heading to Austin for a 4 day weekend and will fill up there.

Good luck, same thing going on in Austin now too. Dh wasn't able to get gas at all yesterday evening or on his way to work early this morning. Hopefully things will calm down over the weekend.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:31 AM

198 posts, read 187,303 times
Tip : Look for gas stations that do NOT show up on the gas-buddy tracker. Several of those had gas even this morning. For example there are gas stations on coit at both Spring creek and park that don't show up on gas buddy, and people were filling gas in them this morning and there wasn't even much of a line.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:59 AM

5,266 posts, read 6,417,522 times
Quote:
How many calories do people think they'll need? One cup of raw rice equals about 3 cups cooked, and one cup of cooked rice has roughly 200 calories. A 50 lb bag has about 122 cups of uncooked rice, so 366 cups cooked, or roughly 73 THOUSAND calories.
It's equally likely that people are buying for Harvey victims - the amount of donations at my kid's school was impressive, and I saw someone buying 50 or more bottles of shampoo. Also the people filling up gas cans are mostly doing that for their construction businesses.

I like this thread- as soon as there is a disaster everyone immediately starts calling their neighbors hoarders, selfish, and prone to paranoia - while they are actually just trying to live their regular lives and help others out!

Old 09-01-2017, 08:41 AM

554 posts, read 685,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
It's equally likely that people are buying for Harvey victims - the amount of donations at my kid's school was impressive, and I saw someone buying 50 or more bottles of shampoo. Also the people filling up gas cans are mostly doing that for their construction businesses.

I like this thread- as soon as there is a disaster everyone immediately starts calling their neighbors hoarders, selfish, and prone to paranoia - while they are actually just trying to live their regular lives and help others out!
I appreciate your willingness to see the best in people, but I seriously doubt the entire city of Dallas is having a run on gas solely to take it to Houston or run their construction businesses. This is a media induced panic on the eve of a holiday weekend (where many people go to the lake and want additional gasoline for water vehicles.) I'd reckon if you took out ALL of the good Samaritans and construction guys we would still be seeing the same problem. It is a nice reminder though that not everyone lining up gas cans at the pumps is a prick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas