Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 03:28 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Got it. You asked and were shown multiple. Now go troll somewhere else. Care to ask another stupid question?

I realize for someone white you might not care about black %, but that doesn't mean that someone who has a black child they don't care. Go ahead and laugh at the criteria all you want.

Surprised you have a problem with graduation rate and math proficiency.

Graduation rate is actually the one that made me laugh. You have to admit the idea of choosing one school district over another because their graduation rate is 99.5% instead of 99.1% (or whatever the actual values are, I don't need to look them up to know both are almost 100%) is kind of funny.

The diversity stuff could be a reason I could totally understand folks taking into account when choosing a district and possibly steering clear of HPISD. To me it is a subjective measure, rather than a performance metric.

In terms of math proficiency, I would have to see the exact metric, but I will take your word for it.

To be clear, I have no association with HPISD and likely never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 03:31 PM

964 posts, read 876,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Graduation rate is actually the one that made me laugh. You have to admit the idea of choosing one school district over another because their graduation rate is 99.5% instead of 99.1% (or whatever the actual values are, I don't need to look them up to know both are almost 100%) is kind of funny.

The diversity stuff could be a reason I could totally understand folks taking into account when choosing a district and possibly steering clear of HPISD. To me it is a subjective measure, rather than a performance metric.

In terms of math proficiency, I would have to see the exact metric, but I will take your word for it.

To be clear, I have no association with HPISD and likely never will.
No. You asked what metric. I gave you a metric. Sorry that you fail reading comprehension. There are many more. I just found those searching for 60 seconds. BTW it sure isn't funny to the kids who is part of that 2% that does not graduate. I don't decide or laugh at anyone's metric.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:33 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,753 times
Quote:
No. You asked what metric. I gave you a metric. Sorry that you fail reading comprehension. There are many more. I just found those searching for 60 seconds.
..and I found your metric amusing. I never claimed you failed to supply a metric. What was that about reading comprehension?

On Edit: I just saw your edit on the graduation rate. I think that is a very difficult differentiator to use when you are comparing 98% to 99%.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
..and I found your metric amusing. I never claimed you failed to supply a metric. What was that about reading comprehension?

On Edit: I just saw your edit on the graduation rate. I think that is a very difficult differentiator to use when you are comparing 98% to 99%.
Then I take it you have no problem with anyone using your logic and stating that HP has no metrics which outperform Southlake. Because if 98% is close enough to 99% then SAT score that is slightly lower is the same as SAT score that is the same.

Either way you look foolish.

I am consistent. The metrics are what they are and 1 point more of SAT score is 1 point more, not the same.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:07 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,171,571 times
Quote:
5A isn't 6A. When they beat the big boys let me know. It's like saying University of Alabama is better than the Cleveland Browns because they have more titles. Isn't even close. Take your swimming results. HP had a kid in the 200 Free that came in 4th. Not bad however he would have been 18th swimming with the big boys. The first place x country runner in HP would have been 5th on Carroll's team alone. In the Boys Swimming 200 Medley Relay HP came in 4th place. They would have been dead last in 6A. There are about 1000 other examples over the years.
Here I agree with Kyam11, school size matters in UIL and competition level goes up with numbers.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:56 PM

8,123 posts, read 3,666,715 times
Quote:
5A isn't 6A. When they beat the big boys let me know. It's like saying University of Alabama is better than the Cleveland Browns because they have more titles. Isn't even close. Take your swimming results. HP had a kid in the 200 Free that came in 4th. Not bad however he would have been 18th swimming with the big boys. The first place x country runner in HP would have been 5th on Carroll's team alone. In the Boys Swimming 200 Medley Relay HP came in 4th place. They would have been dead last in 6A. There are about 1000 other examples over the years.
So are we talking about schools or about sports?

Old 09-13-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
So are we talking about schools or about sports?
Last I checked sports are part of schools and are important to many parents and/or students. There are many other important aspects of education, but no doubt sports are one of them for many people.

I have no doubt that many times a parent considers a sports team as one of the many criteria used for their child when using criteria to determine if a school is better than another.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:55 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,555,635 times
Coppell resident here (and familiar enough with Southlake).

Choosing between the two based on sports and academics is splitting hairs. Microscopic hairs. Assume academics are equal and make your choice based on commute, housing stock, lot size, and the feel of the area and how you like it.

Quote:
ok considering we are also from background adding to ethnic diversity in Coppell, where are we better served? In southlake where the rest of the crowd is diverse from my kid or coppell?
This is the only big difference between the schools I can see. Coppell ISD is more diverse, but that diversity is almost exclusively made up of Indian families. That may or may not appeal to you.

As for feel--Southlake feels shinier for sure. Coppell cant compete with the restaurants and retail they have. They also have more land and more of a country feel. Conversely, Coppell feels more like a small town than most suburbs in DFW. Live here a few years and you will start seeing people you know all over the place. The community is very tight knit and all the essentials you "need" on a daily basis are within 5 minutes, with everything else 10-20 min away.

Oh, and as for the overcrowding, it is a problem, but the new 9th grade center is scheduled to open next year, I believe. That should take off quite a bit of the pressure. With a kid in middle school, I wouldn't worry about it.

Frankly, if the commute from Coppell is better, but you prefer the feel and homes in Southlake, then Flower Mound feeding to Flower Mound High School should be on the table as well. It is as good or better than both Coppell ISD and Carroll ISD. Now let your head spin!

Old 09-13-2017, 08:12 PM

422 posts, read 542,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post

Frankly, if the commute from Coppell is better, but you prefer the feel and homes in Southlake, then Flower Mound feeding to Flower Mound High School should be on the table as well. It is as good or better than both Coppell ISD and Carroll ISD. Now let your head spin!

You just want to watch this thread burn don't you? Lol

Old 09-14-2017, 08:36 AM

15 posts, read 29,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Coppell resident here (and familiar enough with Southlake).

Choosing between the two based on sports and academics is splitting hairs. Microscopic hairs. Assume academics are equal and make your choice based on commute, housing stock, lot size, and the feel of the area and how you like it.

This is the only big difference between the schools I can see. Coppell ISD is more diverse, but that diversity is almost exclusively made up of Indian families. That may or may not appeal to you.

As for feel--Southlake feels shinier for sure. Coppell cant compete with the restaurants and retail they have. They also have more land and more of a country feel. Conversely, Coppell feels more like a small town than most suburbs in DFW. Live here a few years and you will start seeing people you know all over the place. The community is very tight knit and all the essentials you "need" on a daily basis are within 5 minutes, with everything else 10-20 min away.

Oh, and as for the overcrowding, it is a problem, but the new 9th grade center is scheduled to open next year, I believe. That should take off quite a bit of the pressure. With a kid in middle school, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks msooner... This is the kind of feedback I was looking for.
Thanks everyone for sharing your views also.

At this point its just coppell /southlake. No more contenders for personal reasons From what everyone commented, I understand that I can't go wrong with either schools.

Thanks again..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas