Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 01:56 PM

455 posts, read 578,681 times

Advertisements

I gained like 50 lbs moving to DFW, now that im in the PNW the weight is finally coming off. I was walking in the rain this morning laughing at the 90 degree temps in DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 02:15 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
I gained like 50 lbs moving to DFW, now that im in the PNW the weight is finally coming off. I was walking in the rain this morning laughing at the 90 degree temps in DFW.
News flash, it was not in the 90s this morning. I saw tons of people out walking and jogging while taking my my son to school.

I'll be swimming in my pool this afternoon laughing at the rain in Seattle.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:22 PM

I will be swimming tonight as well, covered pool for year round swimming for the win.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:23 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
So, what we have determined is that:

- there are mountains in the Pacific Northwest, but not in the DFW area
- it rains a lot in Portland, but it's not as hot
- it's sunny a lot more in DFW, but it gets really hot
- People who like to do things that are suited to the mountains and cool weather will be more able to do them conveniently in Portland
- People who like to do things that are suited to hot weather will be more able to do them in Dallas

OK, maybe we can move on now.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:26 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
This sounds like a personal problem. I am able to run outside all year long in Dallas. I even run mid-day in the 90+ degree temperatures in summer. That maybe isn't for everyone, but it's cool enough to go for a run in the morning even in summer. And if you hit the Katy Trail about 5pm during this time of year, it will be packed.

In general, DFW has great weather for being outdoors for a lot of the year. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a ton of nice hiking in very close proximity, per OP's original request/question.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:28 PM

I just didn't enjoy it, so I just ate food.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:45 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
This sounds like a personal problem. I am able to run outside all year long in Dallas. I even run mid-day in the 90+ degree temperatures in summer. That maybe isn't for everyone, but it's cool enough to go for a run in the morning even in summer. And if you hit the Katy Trail about 5pm during this time of year, it will be packed.

In general, DFW has great weather for being outdoors for a lot of the year. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a ton of nice hiking in very close proximity, per OP's original request/question.
I think it depends on your heat tolerance. Some people, like me, have very little heat tolerance. I'd rather get a root canal than run a mile in Texas summer heat even at 5am.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:13 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
You won't find people bicycling here like they do in Portland, and frankly the city is not designed for it. This is VERY much a "car culture" place.
Like to work or for recreation? The latter is extremely popular here. Just go drive around any of the suburbs on a Saturday or Sunday morning around 8:00. There are literal packs of cyclists out.

I occasionally see people riding to work, but it mostly seems to be teenagers riding to their grocery store or fast food job. There is one guy at work that rides his bike. I'm not sure where he lives though. I work at Legacy/DNT. We have a gym and I know he goes down there to shower and change. I'm not sure I would want to ride a bike with my laptop strapped to my back, (or my lunch) but that's just me.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:26 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think it depends on your heat tolerance. Some people, like me, have very little heat tolerance. I'd rather get a root canal than run a mile in Texas summer heat even at 5am.
My old boss was from Denver and was a runner - he pretty much stopped running in the summer and on the limited times he did so, it was very early in the AM before the heat became (to him) unbearable.

The OP is relocating from Portland, which is a mild climate by comparison to most northeastern/upper midwestern cities (I LOVED the winters there compared to Chicago, and generally liked the summers as well!). I don't think it's a stretch to say that they won't be used to DFW heat and will need substantial time to acclimate (if they ever fully do).

I'll also note regarding lakes and waterway, the OP should be aware that virtually all the lakes around DFW are man-made (thank you Corps of Engineers). I know the Corps did substantial work on the Columbia River as well, but the lakes here are definitely not quite the same as "naturally occurring" lakes.

Regarding boats and other water-based activities, there are plenty of opportunities for those around Portland (I believe Hood River is still noted for having arguably the best windsurfing and kiteboarding in the continental US), although the OP was not asking about those activities.

DFW has a lot to offer in multiple areas. However, if one wants mountains and scenic beauty (and opportunities for hiking), then by comparison to Portland, it's very lacking. The OP is obviously looking at DFW for multiple other reasons which are cited by many relos - job opportunities and relative affordability at the top of the list (with the many caveats on the latter that have spawned multiple discussions on this topic in this forum, and which the OP has already noticed).

I'll also toss one last item in for the OP - if they have lived their entire lives in Portland, then they have rarely encountered thunderstorms. Even moving down from the upper midwest (where we get squall lines coming through and tornadoes are not rare), I was unprepared for the intensity of thunderstorms here or the frequency of hail storms (and the size of the hail!). Rain in Portland is often low overcast skies and a constant drizzle-mist, like you're produce in a supermarket. Rain here can be fierce and violent.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:51 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
Like to work or for recreation? The latter is extremely popular here. Just go drive around any of the suburbs on a Saturday or Sunday morning around 8:00. There are literal packs of cyclists out.

I occasionally see people riding to work, but it mostly seems to be teenagers riding to their grocery store or fast food job. There is one guy at work that rides his bike. I'm not sure where he lives though. I work at Legacy/DNT. We have a gym and I know he goes down there to shower and change. I'm not sure I would want to ride a bike with my laptop strapped to my back, (or my lunch) but that's just me.
Maybe that's it - I try my darndest to still be asleep at 8AM on the weekends.

Portland has cyclists everywhere, including downtown. Actually, getting away from them might be a benefit in some people's eyes, as those downtown cyclists will do batspitcrazy things.

As some of you may know, Portland stole...er, "appropriated" the slogan "Keep Portland Weird" from Austin, which should help explain Portland's ambience to people on this forum who haven't been there.

(FYI - I was in Portland from the mid 80's to early 90's [damn, time flies!], and it was weird in many of the same ways then)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas