Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 01:38 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving246 View Post
-Thanks for your response. I work from home and will continue to do so which gives me great flexibility.
I am so unfamiliar with prices in the Dallas area that I don't really know what my budget would be. For a rental, I'd like to stay under $3000/mo.
That budget won't be a problem. Average DFW apartment rent for a 2 bedroom is around $1500.

If you want some green space, then I wouldn't suggest the center city of Dallas, Uptown or Oak Lawn. Aside from some relatively small parks, it's a concrete jungle. The population is more heavy on the "young professional" side that likes to party, and rental rates are significantly higher. Also, it's extremely liberal there. I agree that looking in Las Colinas might be a good idea. The Campion Trail parks along the river are nice.

If you want a more conservative area, I'd recommend looking in Tarrant County. It's the only major metro area in Texas to stay red in 2016. Your budget will give you a lot more flexibility in where you can live, too. I would recommend looking in Grapevine, specifically at the 925 Main apartments. They are easy walking distance from downtown Main Street's shops and restaurants,which gives that urban feel. The Grapevine Rec is right across the street, and it's a very nice community center and gym with lots of activities. You will also have lots of peers in your age group; I volunteer with a couple of civic groups in Grapevine that have many single 50s women in our membership. It's also only a 20-30 minute drive to both downtown Dallas or Fort Worth for arts and cultural activities.

Good luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 01:55 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
So, thinking about it, I also suggest you look in the Knox/Henderson area in zip code 75205. Its in Dallas, in the more conservative Highland Park area, near great parks, shops, and the Katy Trail. You should be able to find a townhouse with a patch of green for the dogs and an easy walk onto the Katy Trail. Knox/Henderson is right near Uptown but tends to have more mature people living there. You should be able to find something between $2400-2700/mo.

The Run On store is in zip code 75206 — not far from Knox Henderson — and has an active group of 40-50 female runners who get together from the store and run Tuesday mornings and both weekend mornings. They have another Run on group like that in Coppell. Its a great way to meet others in your age group if you like to run, there’s a similar group called Lake Grapevine Runners and Walkers that runs from Grapevine

There are also some charming areas in Fort Worth you may find appealing. If so, post in the Fort Worth forum for suggestions.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 12-23-2017 at 02:10 PM..

Old 12-23-2017, 03:53 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
Homes for rent in 75205
https://www.realtor.com/apartments/7...33,12&qdm=true

Old 12-23-2017, 04:52 PM

791 posts, read 1,221,090 times
I highly recommend The Ashton, 2215 Cedar Springs across from the Crescent. The location is fantastic, the service and amenities are top notch, and most residents are 35-60. My good friend has lived there for several years after moving back to Dallas following a divorce, and she loves it.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:02 PM

188 posts, read 230,747 times
I would second the suggestion on the Knox / Henderson area as well which really runs on the Knox side (IMHO) all the way down to downtown. You'll be close to museums, running, restaurants, generally good access to most daily needs in Dallas. There are mostly condos and high-rises in the area. It's a safe bet to get started here to really get to know Dallas better.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:17 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,485,997 times
How about Grand Treviso in Las Colinas. You can rent and buy there....so rent for a year, then buy if you like it.
Cedars area is up and coming, so couple of buildings there you could do the same thing. Buzz or The Beat, several other rental only places. One I think giving 2 months free rent right now with 12-13 month lease.

Townhome for lease or sale in La Villita might work for you too. Nice area, central location, nice lake to walk around.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:46 PM

8 posts, read 22,920 times
Thank you so much to everyone who has posted suggestions. I have a lot of information to check out. I am only beginning. Will follow up on your suggestions. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!

Old 12-25-2017, 04:35 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,365,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You should live "behind the pink wall".

Just north pf Northwest Highway.
The pink wall is an actual wall on the north side of Northwest Highway, which is the dividing line between University Park and Dallas. The area behind the pink wall is more affordable because it is outside of the Park Cities (lower property taxes), yet is desirable because it is so close to the amenities of the Park Cities. It's a good location, and it's a traditional choice for single/divorced women, especially women over 45.

Where's TurtleCreek80 when you need her?

Which reminds me that Turtle Creek is another option.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 12-25-2017 at 05:49 PM..

Old 12-26-2017, 12:47 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,578,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving246 View Post
-Hi thank you for your response. I really appreciate all the quick and thoughtful replies.

Yes, working from home gives me so much flexibility - maybe too much. It makes it difficult to decide.

I believe I addressed most of your questions in reply to prior poster. I am open on urban or suburban but I don't want to be isolated. Trying to avoid the 20 and 30 somethings dominating the atmosphere. Unless of course in Texas they have better manners than they do here in CA

Seriously, would be nice to meet some people my age or older which I think often live in suburbs, but I think my preference would be a nice urban atmosphere.

I run and like biking. Like walking to places (including bars if that is where I am going...) or not having to drive too far to them.
Richardson might be another place to look at. Honestly, the OC and Dallas area are very similar from a socio-political perspective, with Dallas slightly more diverse. Oh, and the 20-30’s here are FAR different. You’ll find a little more urban, a little more country and almost zero IE flatbrim.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:41 AM

168 posts, read 394,592 times
I think The Cortona aka Lantower Cortona is probably the BEST deal in the area. It is North of Dallas - but the pluses are off 75 so no toll ways from North to South. Clean, quiet although right off the highway. There is a pond and 3 bike trails - not - downtownish but scenic. Outdoor shopping area walking and biking distance with all kinds of restaurants, theatres, shopping, Whole Foods etc. Prices are a third of your budget. Another, more upscale but a little more money is The Lofts at Watters Creek. Better shopping right out the door, more active shopping community with bands/restuarants etc. I would still pick The Cortona over but both would be worth you checking out before you choose downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas