Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 06:15 PM

937 posts, read 744,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I didn't see this in the OP and maybe you added it later, but what is your budget and where is your husband's job located? That will determine whether you will end up in the suburbs or closer to the city.

I read the first part of your quoted post and I honestly think you'll do just fine here. I have 2 young kids and both my husband and I work full time, so on the weekends we typically relax and stay close to home. I think you will find plenty of things to keep you busy, even if we don't have the mountains and outdoor amenities that Denver does. I think a lot of people paint DFW as this barren wasteland where no one ever goes outside. That's not true and if getting outside is important to you, you'll find a way. The weather is decent this time of year (but windy) and it really doesn't get unbearable until July-ish. And even then I still see people outside, just either really early in the morning or late at night.

There's another poster, calgirninnc (or something like that), that moved here from NC recently. A lot of people on this sub were asking how she could leave behind beautiful NC to come to sad, boring DFW. I think she's been quite pleased with the move and she had a lot of the same concerns that you did.
OP here. Actually, I wasn't so much concerned with leaving Colorado other than really loving the weather here. Colorado has been nice enough though so no major complaints (no place is perfect), but we are leaving for a job situation. I've missed more greenery and trees as the front range is brown much of the year and very wide open and exposed with few trees, and saw plenty of trees in lots of parts of Dallas when I was there last weekend. Also, it feels a bit isolated and landlocked out here in CO so I will be happy to get closer to my roots in the Southeast. The weather was amazing last weekend in Dallas! Loved the chilly temps just like here in CO with a crazy hail type storm thrown in! I know the summers are pretty intense in Dallas but I grew up in Atlanta and Charlotte so I know hot summers. My husband and I were saying that parts of Dallas remind us of places in Charlotte and Raleigh...not too, too different. I think it's the kind of place that you can make it whatever you want it to be and can carve out a nice enough life just like lots of places. We've been in the suburbs for a few years, and are leaning towards living in East Dallas for a change of pace. Commute and affordability are fine for us in that area of town. I am starting to get a bit confused though and driving myself crazy going round and round with city vs. suburbs. Probably need another trip out there as DFW is a pretty huge, sprawling place! Like everything, pros and cons to both!

Last edited by Chloe333; 04-12-2018 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 06:19 PM

937 posts, read 744,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Ha, yes, that's me.

The only aspect I really dislike about DFW are the drivers/roads.
We actually thought the drivers were a little better in Dallas. Here in Denver they tend to tail you even when you are in the slow lane going 5-10 over the speed limits. They can edge you out of merging as well.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:24 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
We actually thought the drivers were a little better in Dallas. Here in Denver they tend to tail you even when you are in the slow lane going 5-10 over the speed limits. They can edge you out of merging as well.
Note to self: do not move to Denver.

If it's worse than DFW....

Old 04-14-2018, 09:38 PM

95 posts, read 123,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
Hello All,

My husband finds out in a week or two if we are moving to Dallas for a potential new job. We are currently living in the Denver area, and I'm hoping that Dallas will be much greener with more trees than the Front Range of Colorado. It's very brown, dry, dusty, and barren here in Denver much of the year, and this is the main thing about it that I don't like. I grew up in Atlanta, and since living in Denver, I've yearned to go back there just for it's beautiful trees, flowers, and plants. I'm hoping Dallas is somewhat similar to Atlanta with greenery. Many of the Dallas yards on Zillow (looking at surrounding suburbs of Dallas) look much prettier than Denver yards, and I'm so excited about this possibility! The housing is certainly much nicer in Dallas.

However, people on forums have said that Dallas has no natural scenic beauty and so I'm wondering if I'm missing something when I see all these pretty properties. What do they mean by this? Do you think this is true? Coming from the Front Range, just having greenery and trees would be beautiful and scenic after a few years in this very brown, dusty, dry place. The mountains in the background are beautiful to look at, but the actual Front Range is quite the opposite to me. Also, it rains so infrequently that it looks kind of dusty, dirty, and grimy to me all of the time in Denver. Does it rain a good bit in Dallas? If so, I'm hoping Dallas is cleaner looking than Denver with more rain and this would qualify as scenic beauty for me.

Also, are people as a whole friendly and warm in Dallas? I've found the people in Denver to be cordial and pleasant enough, but there is also a reservedness and aloofness as well. I would love to get back to a place with more of the warmth, social etiquette, sweetness, and hospitality of some places that I've lived in the South. Hoping Dallas has this as well.

Thanks in advance for any feedback everyone!
I grew up in Colorado and we are moving to the DFW area this summer. Actually we just bought a house a few weeks ago but waiting till the kids get out of school. I’ve been to Dallas a lot in the last 3 years. It’s different. Very different. Good or bad? I can’t tell yet. The weather, the people, the lack of mountains. I’m anticipating quite a culture shock moving there.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:46 PM

Oh I forgot to add. The cars. OMG the cars. Let’s just say a Subaru is not the norm. I mean I’d always heard of all the high dollar cars in dallas but until you actually see it.. it’s truly unbelievable. Especially coming from CO. LOL

Old 04-15-2018, 08:51 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vailbaby View Post
Oh I forgot to add. The cars. OMG the cars. Let’s just say a Subaru is not the norm. I mean I’d always heard of all the high dollar cars in dallas but until you actually see it.. it’s truly unbelievable. Especially coming from CO. LOL
I'm astounded that anyone would have a high dollar car in Dallas. Some of the roads in the city are totally third world. These third world roads caused me a broken axle. I'd rather have some beater of a car here and spend money elsewhere.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Note to self: do not move to Denver.

If it's worse than DFW....
Actually this is what I’ve noticed being in dallas roads. People have places to be and things to do. Yes they drive “crazy” but everyone kinda does it. It’s like you all just understand each other. Drivers in CO like to take their time going anywhere. They get very personally offended if you pass them on the highway b/c they want to “hangout” to check out the scenery. Break checking is very common, so is blocking you in to teach you a “lesson”. It’s a very passive aggressive attitude. There is definitely a different deference between people who come from big cities like dallas and LA to ones who are used to the more rural type states.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:46 AM

382 posts, read 1,206,615 times
I grew up in the southeast and currently travel quite a bit to both Denver and Dallas for work. With the exception of the number of churches and the snob factor, I'd say Dallas resembles Denver more than it resembles the southeast, especially in the appearance of the neighborhoods.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:23 AM

6,698 posts, read 9,954,100 times
Quote:
Ha, yes, that's me.

We have been loving this weather---we love the breezes, the lower humidity, the beautiful sunsets.
It is such a nice long spring...is that typical here? Back east sometimes we'd get 2 weeks of "spring" before the hot weather hit. When I picked up my son from school just now, and the breeze was on him, he said "and this is why I like Texas better than Noeth Carolina..."

There are parts of DFW that are unattractive...as stated up thread, mostly around the freeways...but I think in the towns it is pretty. No there aren't dramatic mountain vistas or anything, but the nicer suburbs are newish, manicured, and well kept, with nice landscape lighting, seasonal flowers, tree lined streets, etc. In NC you would get that in pockets. It seems more uniform here.

I disagree about the fall color...at least last year everything turned this brilliant yellow. I have the photos to prove it.

I don't know, I think attitude has a lot to do with how you feel about a place. Look for beauty and you'll find it. Look for ugly and you'll find that too.

The only aspect I really dislike about DFW are the drivers/roads.
It’s been unusually chilly this month, but the filp-flop pattern we’ve been seeing is normal. Have you experienced summers here yet?

Old 04-15-2018, 11:30 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
It’s been unusually chilly this month, but the filp-flop pattern we’ve been seeing is normal. Have you experienced summers here yet?
I've been here since last July. Hot but not as humid as what we were used to.

The hot/cold is typical of what we experienced in the SE so I'm used to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas