Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 12:03 AM

3 posts, read 7,680 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the advice and input.

We certainly will check out the neighborhoods in Fort Worth that were mentioned and hopefully will find something to our liking. The answer may present itself after I experience the commute as I don't think I can stomach more than 45 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 07:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallon21 View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice and input.

We certainly will check out the neighborhoods in Fort Worth that were mentioned and hopefully will find something to our liking. The answer may present itself after I experience the commute as I don't think I can stomach more than 45 minutes.
Good luck!

Old 03-16-2018, 10:40 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallon21 View Post
Thank you all for the very helpful and detailed responses.

We very briefly explored downtown Fort Worth and thought it was very charming, but still on the small side. Also, my wife is originally from the Dallas suburbs and we have friends in town (as well as her parents in Frisco) so wanted to stay in Dallas for at least a year to explore/enjoy the city and assess our options.

We are planning on spending more time in Fort Worth to see if we could live there. We are also going to visit Southlake, Grapevine, and Keller as that would be a feasible commute and still relatively close to her parents and Dallas. We really love the rolling hills and large lush trees in the Kessler area (like everyone else) and from what I understand the other areas I mentioned don't really have terrain like that?
Fort Worth has so many beautiful neighborhoods with character and history where you can certainly find a remodeled home for $600k...definitely more in the Kessler Park vein. And there are neighborhoods with interesting terrain, too, like the area around River Crest Country Club and over info Westover Hills. Check zip code 76107. Or you might like the historic districts just south of downtown FW. Look up Melt ice cream and check out the surrounding neighborhoods.

You're positioned as best you can be right now for living in Dallas and commuting so if you can't stand the drive, I'd look all the way west to FW. Unless you're planning to see your wife's family several times a week, I wouldn't prioritize proximity to them over keeping your sanity while commuting.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:40 PM

638 posts, read 568,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
There are areas of North Arlington that have rolling hills and large lush trees. You'll be also close to the huge nature park River Legacy if you like to walk or bike. It'll be an easier commute to Downtown Dallas and downtown Fort Worth. The commute though from Dallas to Fort Worth won't be pleasant if you have kids in school.

Fort Worth also has some beautiful character neighborhoods that are hilly and tree lined. Fort Worth residents take their heritage seriously and love to preserve historic homes and neighborhoods. I will agree though that it definitely feels smaller than Dallas where I was born and grew up. A lot of us who have lived in Fort Worth joke that it feels like the biggest small town (in a good way). Fort Worth though is growing rapidly and is becoming more urban in character.
Fort Worth is a GREAT town!

Old 03-16-2018, 07:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Fort Worth has so many beautiful neighborhoods with character and history where you can certainly find a remodeled home for $600k...definitely more in the Kessler Park vein. And there are neighborhoods with interesting terrain, too, like the area around River Crest Country Club and over info Westover Hills. Check zip code 76107. Or you might like the historic districts just south of downtown FW. Look up Melt ice cream and check out the surrounding neighborhoods.

You're positioned as best you can be right now for living in Dallas and commuting so if you can't stand the drive, I'd look all the way west to FW. Unless you're planning to see your wife's family several times a week, I wouldn't prioritize proximity to them over keeping your sanity while commuting.
I didn't have time to link earlier, but here are some listings where if you look at the pics of the yard/outside grounds, you can get a sense of the topography in the Crestline/ Westover Hills area I mentioned above. Most of these are $$$$ but you get the idea of the landscape.

Google:
1120 Pebble Creek Road Fort Worth

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M85718-53154
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M72507-55562
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M77094-84793

Old 03-21-2018, 12:02 PM

551 posts, read 1,099,066 times
I've done that commute and it's not too bad especially from Oak Cliff. You are pretty much going opposite of most of the traffic. Much better than driving in from Plano/Frisco to Dallas which I've done as well.

There is a commuter train called the TRE from Dallas to Fort Worth that drops off right in downtown. It's a big 2 storey train not the DART. I'd check that out.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-21-2018 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas