Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:37 PM

317 posts, read 841,492 times

Advertisements

I recieved a note from my property management company about property tax protest reduction, for 40% of the savings. Is this a reasonable rate for this type of service?

I’m no longer in the state so can’t do any protest myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:00 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,583,669 times
1. No. Thats stupid.

2. Dang near every county you can protest online now.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:13 AM

964 posts, read 879,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
1. No. Thats stupid.

2. Dang near every county you can protest online now.
Sorry but I disagree. There are 2 questions here.

1) . Can a person theoretically get every bit as much discounted as a person (one of these companies) that does this for a living? Sure.

2) . Will a person get every bit as much discounted as a person that does this for a living? Likely no

Everybody thinks they are great negotiators and great at presenting facts. The reality is less than 5% truly are.

You get 1 shot at this.

If you think some online proposal is as good as doing something in a court system in person you have a fool for a client.

Having said that it is highly likely a person can get something off doing an online form, but IMO it will be less than the amount one can get in person and less than the amount someone really good at their job can get.

If OP has a house valued at $350,000 and doing it online they get the value down $10,000 and they pay 2.4% in property taxes they save $240. If they use a service and that service gets them $15,000 off valuation then that saves $360 minus fee of $144 for a net of $216. It holds for 2 years so if you split the net over two years we are talking about $12 a year. If they get more off then you are ahead.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:22 AM

Let me know when you go into a “court system” to protest you taxes there, chief.

����

Old 05-11-2018, 05:35 AM

964 posts, read 879,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Let me know when you go into a “court system” to protest you taxes there, chief.

����
Anytime your taxes are changed it is done through the legal system. If you think "court system" or "legal system" means walking into court with a judge then I can't help you.

Whether you di it by mail, in person, etc. you are doing it through the legal or court system.

When someone gets a hearing what do you think that is?

I suggest you also go read the numerous posts from people who were denied or who were given peanuts off. I don't know of one person ever who has used a service who has not received some form of relief and if you understood how its done you would realize why.

Last edited by kyam11; 05-11-2018 at 05:43 AM..

Old 05-11-2018, 06:53 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,118,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Sorry but I disagree. There are 2 questions here.

1) . Can a person theoretically get every bit as much discounted as a person (one of these companies) that does this for a living? Sure.

2) . Will a person get every bit as much discounted as a person that does this for a living? Likely no

Everybody thinks they are great negotiators and great at presenting facts. The reality is less than 5% truly are.

You get 1 shot at this.

If you think some online proposal is as good as doing something in a court system in person you have a fool for a client.

Having said that it is highly likely a person can get something off doing an online form, but IMO it will be less than the amount one can get in person and less than the amount someone really good at their job can get.

If OP has a house valued at $350,000 and doing it online they get the value down $10,000 and they pay 2.4% in property taxes they save $240. If they use a service and that service gets them $15,000 off valuation then that saves $360 minus fee of $144 for a net of $216. It holds for 2 years so if you split the net over two years we are talking about $12 a year. If they get more off then you are ahead.

Generally agree with this. While anyone can certainly take the time to file online (which I generally do to start the process), in order for it to be valuable they need to spend the time building the case (photos of property characteristics that would lower the value, provide comps supporting your requested value, etc.). Many times, at least for DCAD, an initial online protest will get a certain amount, but usually not the target amount. It may involve a trip to DCAD to make headway.

If someone is an out of state owner, there could be quite a bit of hassle involved. It isn't unreasonable for someone in that role to hire out that service. The OP already uses a Property Management company for example. They could probably lease their home without the services of a Property Management firm, but since they aren't local it is probably worth it to them to have someone find and screen tenants, and handle the day to day issues that pop up. This could really be viewed as an extension of the Property Management services.

If you are going to hire someone to do it, 40% of the savings is a reasonable rate. That isn't really that much money on most properties and this is taking someone's time.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:24 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,836,193 times
It's the going rate, I don't know of a single company offering less.

As a very experienced Realtor, I even stopped doing my own 3 years ago because I was getting no where when I went to fight my values. Last year, the company I used saved me $1000. I paid them $400 to save that lower value. This year, they saved me almost $900. I will gladly pay them $360 to save that value.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:20 PM

77 posts, read 316,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
It's the going rate, I don't know of a single company offering less.

As a very experienced Realtor, I even stopped doing my own 3 years ago because I was getting no where when I went to fight my values. Last year, the company I used saved me $1000. I paid them $400 to save that lower value. This year, they saved me almost $900. I will gladly pay them $360 to save that value.
If you don't mind, can you share with me who you used?
Thanks!

Old 05-14-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Anytime your taxes are changed it is done through the legal system. If you think "court system" or "legal system" means walking into court with a judge then I can't help you.

Whether you di it by mail, in person, etc. you are doing it through the legal or court system.

When someone gets a hearing what do you think that is?

I suggest you also go read the numerous posts from people who were denied or who were given peanuts off. I don't know of one person ever who has used a service who has not received some form of relief and if you understood how its done you would realize why.
You can get as condescending as you want, Chief. Bottom line is that I've protested more property taxes assessments and appraisals that you ever have. Guaranteed.

Also - you clearly stated court system. Not legal system. And, it's not even the "legal system" you protest them through - it's the bureaucracy of your county tax assessor.

I suggest that most people are really retarded and don't know how to negotiate. For those, let the system prey upon them - doesn't make the fact that giving up 40% of your gain would be considered the "smart" play... only the play you can't make.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:43 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,836,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoo82 View Post
If you don't mind, can you share with me who you used?
Thanks!
I've been using Texas Protax.
https://texasprotax.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas