Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 03:03 PM

170 posts, read 369,875 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a southern California native too. I spent about 20 years there, 20 on the east coast in VA, WV and NC. I have been in Texas for 6 years now and love it. I live in a small town on the south side of Dallas, Lancaster, and drive into downtown everyday. I drive the surface streets and go right past the VA. As another said, it is in a really bad neighborhood, but there are areas close, such as Lancaster that would be a decent commute. Lancaster property values are on the rise, just like the rest of Texas, but because all the growth so far has mostly been north of Dallas, you can still get good value by going south. We just had a couple of schools built too so that is going to continue to draw people.

Heat, yes, in the summer, its hot. Humidity depends on if the air is coming from the west or from the gulf area. From the gulf, its humid. We do get a few days a summer with stifling humidity, but it isn't that way every day.

Allergies, yes. I had none in CA or VA, but came here and thought I was dying! Each year they improved and now, 6 years later, I have no issues at all.

Close to Lancaster is Joe Pool Lake, with a state park and Lynn Creek Marina.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 05:16 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
I'm another Californian who never had allergies before moving to Texas. I've heard this from a lot of transplants from various places.

For several years I had several terrible sinus infections every year (I'd think I had the flu and the doc would say, "nope! it's your allergies again!").

I do think the office building I worked in at the time may have had a healthy air problem exacerbating the issue, I always thought it had a musty smell.

Once I learned about the neti pot, I stopped getting the infections. I don't use it nearly every day, but when I feel a sign of allergy issues, I'll use it daily for a while so nothing can get stuck up there and lead to infection. I also take a claritin daily certain times of year if I feel I need it.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:13 PM

230 posts, read 230,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. Allergies to a great degree are people dependent what bothers you may not bother another person.

According to this Dallas does not have a particularly high pollen count averages. Today for example San Antonio, Las Vegas and Reno all have much higher total pollen counts.
http://www.aafa.org/media/AAFA-2018-...als-Report.pdf

2. Dangerous wildlife? Are you swamp hiking through creek beds, swamps or something? I've lived in and around Dallas most of my life and I'm outside much more than most people.......I've seen five legit "cottonmouths" and another couple or three probables around here over the course of decades.
*Cottonmouths do wander across dry areas occasionally but they are nearly always found in swampy areas, creek beds and around lakes.

Yes, I am active in fishing and kayaking. I have seen multiple cottonmouths, and a couple Gators on lakes in the area. While non-venomous, and clearly not a threat in it's current state, I also saw a smashed tarantula in a parking lot. Eww.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:56 PM

390 posts, read 389,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_potion_darling View Post
Yes, I am active in fishing and kayaking. I have seen multiple cottonmouths, and a couple Gators on lakes in the area. While non-venomous, and clearly not a threat in it's current state, I also saw a smashed tarantula in a parking lot. Eww.
Which lakes did you see the gators?

Old 06-30-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
Which lakes did you see the gators?

Lake Fork -- about a 7 footer and a smaller one too, maybe 2-3 foot.

About 2 months ago Lake Arlington was featured on the news because of gators as well.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/anim...lake-arlington

Old 06-30-2018, 09:38 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,360,306 times
As someone who has lived in Houston, visited all over, Humidity is NOT high here in north Texas. Go to Minnesota, anywhere near the Gulf of Mexico, D.C. in the Summer or NYC...more humid for sure. Dallas is slightly hotter than gulf coast locales for those same reasons, less humidity. Proof is that north Texas has had to build a lot of lakes because its gets less rainfall than Houston.

Mosquitoes...some but again FAR less than seen along the gulf coast. I may get bitten once or twice a year if at all and most times surprised its happened. Again go to gulf coast, Minnesota, and the lower Atlantic seaboard. That spraying every three weeks sounds excessive. I've lived in D/FW since 2001 and the Dallas and some surrounding areas spray to control West Nile infected skeeters but I've heard of no one who sprays every three weeks and I know people ALL over the region. Now compared to where you live now, inland Northern California, yes you may get a bite but we have more rain around here most years which can lead to mosquitoes.

Plenty of sunshine. Average rainfall is 36 inches annually but in my time here, I swear every 3 or 4 years we get a deluge. I'm thinking 2019 or 2020, the skies will again open which is good as Texas is a semi-arid state.

Traffic will be notably worse than your little town if you are in Dallas proper or any town within 30 miles of its downtown but lots of good outer suburbs with character like town squares abound and cost of living is better. Politics are more a purple region than solid blue or red. A goodly number here have California roots or lived out there. For example, Toyota moved to suburban Plano in 2016 from Torrance CA. Jamb Juice and Kubota Tractor also moved here from Cali in 2016.

Allergies, for sure we have trees and grass and contrary to some beliefs some seasonality, i.e. pollinating plants.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:16 PM

390 posts, read 389,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_potion_darling View Post
Lake Fork -- about a 7 footer and a smaller one too, maybe 2-3 foot.

About 2 months ago Lake Arlington was featured on the news because of gators as well.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/anim...lake-arlington
Wow that's crazy! Are the gators in the lakes that people swim in?

Old 07-01-2018, 02:14 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,217,727 times
That’s not the first time a gator was spotted in Lake Arlington. No one swims in that lake. It’s only used for boating.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:44 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
You mentioned allergies. My allergies in Dallas were the worst I've ever experienced. December - March was hell because of mountain cedar pollen. I'm originally from NC and had to deal with pollen so thick that red cars looked orange, but fortunately it only lasted a week or two. Dallas was like that, just for months at a time.

Texas in general is VERY sunny. I liked it during the winter when things up north are like a B&W movie.

Coming from NC, MO, and IA, I didn't think Dallas was very humid. It wasn't dry like Phoenix either. But when it's 100 degrees, any amount of humidity is uncomfortable.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
Wow that's crazy! Are the gators in the lakes that people swim in?

I haven't been here long enough to have witnessed this one myself, but it sounds like it: https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/9-...307672481.html

They are native to North Texas, the the Trinity River is a great highway for them to make their way up from the gulf. Again, have not had personal experience, but I have heard fellow fisherman speak about sightings into Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas