Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 12:58 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Most Americans around here have only had North Indian buffet food which is a damn shame.
North Indian cuisine just happens to be my favorite type of Indian food, but you are right, and I agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 02:11 PM

28 posts, read 27,119 times
Luigi’s in Frisco….BEST Meatball Sub, OMG and Holy Cow! (line will be out the door...literally)

Chinese food in Dallas….Fortune House in Irving, Best JUICY Xiao Long Bao Dumplings (steamed pork buns), and with that Ginger/Vinegar Sauce they give you!? OYE VEY. It’s tastes just likeSan Diego’s #1 spot called the Dumpling Inn. Ooooooo weeeee & hee hee hee!

When my friends fly into Dallas from California, first stop is Fortune House in Irving.

Best pizza in Dallas….still trying to figure it out.

Last edited by Sunshine92150; 07-02-2018 at 02:28 PM..

Old 07-02-2018, 02:23 PM

28 posts, read 27,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I'm going to see if I can post a picture of last night's pizza:

hee hee hee! Good times.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:41 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
But we're talking PIZZA, not BBQ or Cajun or Creole food. At this point, pizza is just as American as hamburgers, and is pretty much just as popular, widespread, and as easy to find in any decently populated area in America. There is no excuse for good pizza being so hard to find in the FORTH largest metro area in all of the US. I have been to many much smaller cities and metros than DFW in many different parts of the US where good pizza was more prevalent. And no, pizza doesn't HAVE to be strictly NY or Chicago style to be good...
I would say the same for "Chinese" food. I'm not talking about authentic Chinese food, I'm talking about the American stuff, just like I'm not talking about an authentic Italian Pizza when we talk about pizza.

I just find it kinda odd that Uptown (and Irving where I currently live) have less Chinese takeout/delivery options than where I grew up in Idaho which is like, maybe 1% Asian.

oh and on the topic of Indian food, I think Irving is among the top, if not the top place in the country for Indian food, it's awesome.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:04 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Even the Geno’s East in Chicago is lousy. If you’re up there and want an Uno’s style deep dish go to Uno’s, Lou Malnati’s or to Ricobenne’s on 26th St. in Armour Square, near Chinatown and Sox Park. Better yet get a <real> Chicago pizza; a thin crust cut in squares. Try Phil’s at 35th and Aberdeen.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:45 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Even the Geno’s East in Chicago is lousy. If you’re up there and want an Uno’s style deep dish go to Uno’s, Lou Malnati’s or to Ricobenne’s on 26th St. in Armour Square, near Chinatown and Sox Park. Better yet get a <real> Chicago pizza; a thin crust cut in squares. Try Phil’s at 35th and Aberdeen.

IMHO, if you stop at Ricobene's in Chicago, you HAVE to order a breaded steak sandwich!

And yes, there's a zillion thin crust places (cut into squares, yes!) and tons of deep dish. Malnati's has a darn good thin crust, IMHO, although if I had to choose one place in Chicago for that, I'd go with Aurelio's. What do you think of Connie's for deep dish?

I realize all of this is an aside from DFW food choices (I can imagine many posters here are thinking "Why are you people talking about Chicago pizza places?! Stop it!"). Way too many pizza places here just order supplies from Lisanti foodservices and crank out pizzas from that. Look for a place that, at a minimum, makes their own dough and sauce. Sadly you won't find many of those around, again, because of the nature of the growth of DFW (rapid and recent).

Old 07-02-2018, 05:29 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
IMHO, if you stop at Ricobene's in Chicago, you HAVE to order a breaded steak sandwich!

And yes, there's a zillion thin crust places (cut into squares, yes!) and tons of deep dish. Malnati's has a darn good thin crust, IMHO, although if I had to choose one place in Chicago for that, I'd go with Aurelio's. What do you think of Connie's for deep dish?
My favorite breaded steak was LaMilanese at 31st and May but it closed when the parents retired and the downtrodden, overworked son who did most of the running of the joint said to Hell with it and closed it down. Yes, Malnati’s makes a first rate Chicago Thin, as does Aurelio’s.

I like Connie’s; I spent a lot of time in Bridgeport and often went to Connie’s, great place. Speaking of Bridgeport, the Mexico Steak House on Archer is my favorite Mexican restaurant in Chicago, a city known for its great Mexican joints.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:41 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Man that is crazy. I went to UofC back in the day. A 1/2 cornbread and 1/2 regular crust "Chicago" pie with any meat /veggie topping(s) from Geno's East was sublime.......and still is, at least as of last fall.

Not to start a fight but NY style is better.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:45 PM

198 posts, read 186,807 times
I don't know much about NY or Chicago pizza, but I'm not sure if they are the only standards to judge a pizza by. My native Italian friend who visited both places was impressed by neither.

I'm beginning to see places offering Mexican style and tandoor style pizza. Feels like Dallas is evolving its own cuisine. About time for the 4th biggest metro area in the nation to grow up

Old 07-02-2018, 05:52 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpushiys View Post
I don't know much about NY or Chicago pizza, but I'm not sure if they are the only standards to judge a pizza by. My native Italian friend who visited both places was impressed by neither.

I'm beginning to see places offering Mexican style and tandoor style pizza. Feels like Dallas is evolving its own cuisine. About time for the 4th biggest metro area in the nation to grow up
Even in Italy there isn't "One" type of pizza. Pizza Roma, is different from Neapolitan Pizza which is different from the square Sicilian pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas