Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 07:38 PM

19,903 posts, read 18,186,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Dallas also has no reason to exist. It's far from the Gulf/any ocean and has no major navigable rivers. Virtually major city has a long history being a port-town or some sort of trading post. Dallas is a hot, random spot on the Blackland Prairie that was probably filled with angry Comanche warriors and wild buffalo about 300 years ago. There's no romantic history. I love my city but I think it tries too hard to control the narrative.
Gawd that's astonishingly ignorant. By the late 1800s Dallas was a thriving cotton, wool, beef etc. and a little later oil trading and rail center. Somewhere there's a pic of DTD in about 1910 that is utterly sweet.

Found it........zoom and scroll on the pic.
https://www.loc.gov/resource/pan.6a10356/

Old 09-19-2018, 05:41 AM

18 posts, read 12,279 times
Default Htown. H is for Hustle

I can give my two cents as a black person who is not from Texas but has lived in both cities for many years. Both are great cities to live and start a family but there is a big difference in the cultures of the two cities. If settling down and starting a family is your priority then I believe Dallas may be the place for you. However, if you are looking for a vibrant professional dating scene then Houston will be the place to go. Both places offer many nighttime destinations but the nightlife in Houston far outweighs the nightlife in Dallas. There is just generally more going on in Houston all the time.

When I lived in Dallas ( 08-2012) it was fun. The culture in Dallas is like what some posters have been saying, is focused on being Hood unfortunately. Not saying everyone in Dtown is hood but if there was a central theme it would be acting ratchet. That part was challenging to me while I lived there. Even Black professionals, when they take off those uniforms and professional markers they will be doing the stanky leg. I didn't see the black culture influence in Dallas like I do here in Houston. In Houston there is a greater variety of diversity as well as just more overall SINGLE black professionals roaming around. I did not see this living in Dallas. The majority of black professionals I encountered were all married with children. There will be some single pros but they will be sprinkled throughout the metroplex.

But if you are only trying to frequent the club or lounges then Dallas can be your speed. IF you prioritize dating and clubbing Houston is the winner in that dept. and you will love it! The challenge in Houston will be there are more people so everyone has more options so to speak. One of the high points of Houston when I arrived was I immediately noticed the black people seemed different. They were about business first and most seemed to have some kind of hustle going on. The speed of the people was different, Faster. There are some hustlers in Dallas but far more in Houston I can assure you that. Texas is fortunate to have two juggernaut cities in proximity to each other as well as the other numerous large cities in the state. Only a handful of states can boast that accomplishment. Coming from Atlanta I think you will find Dallas more similar in feel but not look. But in my opinion Houston is the superior city of the two for a single professional woman with no kids.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:15 AM

14 posts, read 7,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Definitely Houston. While Dallas is quite family-oriented and the black men there tend to be way more marriage-minded than the ones in Atlanta are, the black community is not very galvanized in the DFW area. They’re kind of just...there, and if you’re into anything beyond church, where to eat after church, and football, it doesn’t offer as much as Houston when it comes to the aspects of black culture that you’re looking for based on the criteria you provided. Black natives in the area get really angry and hypersensitive when people bring this up, because there is a large black middle class in Dallas/Ft. Worth, but historically, Houston was the cultural center for blacks in Texas and had an established black middle class long before DFW did (To be blunt, both cities had black migration to serve as “the help” to “the haves”, but Houston had more manufacturing jobs and blue collar jobs at the petrochemical plants and an HBCU presence unlike Dallas) and that still has an effect on the vibe of each metro area to this day.
Though I don't live in Dallas (at this time), I'm subscribed to a black woman, who vlogs in the the Dallas area. She appears to have no issues finding and connecting with middle class black people in the DFW area.

OP, please check out her vlogs. She makes Dallas look like a happening place, with lots of cool nightlife and restaurants. Also, when she first started vlogging, she was single, but now, she's found her beau and he's a young professional black man in the DFW area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyXh6kRLEjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK7kMu5SOOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWG7jAdhpPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMGPvXqMbGc

Old 09-20-2018, 12:17 PM

390 posts, read 390,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatdaddycatcher View Post
I can give my two cents as a black person who is not from Texas but has lived in both cities for many years. Both are great cities to live and start a family but there is a big difference in the cultures of the two cities. If settling down and starting a family is your priority then I believe Dallas may be the place for you. However, if you are looking for a vibrant professional dating scene then Houston will be the place to go. Both places offer many nighttime destinations but the nightlife in Houston far outweighs the nightlife in Dallas. There is just generally more going on in Houston all the time.

When I lived in Dallas ( 08-2012) it was fun. The culture in Dallas is like what some posters have been saying, is focused on being Hood unfortunately. Not saying everyone in Dtown is hood but if there was a central theme it would be acting ratchet. That part was challenging to me while I lived there. Even Black professionals, when they take off those uniforms and professional markers they will be doing the stanky leg. I didn't see the black culture influence in Dallas like I do here in Houston. In Houston there is a greater variety of diversity as well as just more overall SINGLE black professionals roaming around. I did not see this living in Dallas. The majority of black professionals I encountered were all married with children. There will be some single pros but they will be sprinkled throughout the metroplex.

But if you are only trying to frequent the club or lounges then Dallas can be your speed. IF you prioritize dating and clubbing Houston is the winner in that dept. and you will love it! The challenge in Houston will be there are more people so everyone has more options so to speak. One of the high points of Houston when I arrived was I immediately noticed the black people seemed different. They were about business first and most seemed to have some kind of hustle going on. The speed of the people was different, Faster. There are some hustlers in Dallas but far more in Houston I can assure you that. Texas is fortunate to have two juggernaut cities in proximity to each other as well as the other numerous large cities in the state. Only a handful of states can boast that accomplishment. Coming from Atlanta I think you will find Dallas more similar in feel but not look. But in my opinion Houston is the superior city of the two for a single professional woman with no kids.
Are you saying the black nightlife in Houston is better than Dallas or are you saying Houston nightlife in general is better ?

Old 09-21-2018, 02:10 PM

1,074 posts, read 643,233 times
I haven't read every single post in this long thread, so pardon me if I missed something..... why does OP- and many others on thread - only care about dating black people? Why not be open to whomever? I just have never understood that. Really good people are so hard to find that if I had limited myself also to only one race, I think I'd still be single, aside from a miracle.
Besides, interracial marriages are good for the over all social acceptance

[puts on hazmat suit to protect from the incoming]

Old 09-21-2018, 04:36 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,223,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I haven't read every single post in this long thread, so pardon me if I missed something..... why does OP- and many others on thread - only care about dating black people? Why not be open to whomever? I just have never understood that. Really good people are so hard to find that if I had limited myself also to only one race, I think I'd still be single, aside from a miracle.

It’s quite obvious you didn’t read anything on this thread at all since this thread primarily focused on black professional/middle class culture in DFW (or lack thereof compared to other cities) and not interracial dating (which for the record, I don’t have a problem with, but understand why a lot of people don’t want to deal with it at all). Learn to read first instead of coming in here all ignorant and tone deaf like you are right now.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:26 PM

1,074 posts, read 643,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
It’s quite obvious you didn’t read anything on this thread at all since this thread primarily focused on black professional/middle class culture in DFW (or lack thereof compared to other cities) and not interracial dating (which for the record, I don’t have a problem with, but understand why a lot of people don’t want to deal with it at all). Learn to read first instead of coming in here all ignorant and tone deaf like you are right now.
Ok, then I DID get the whole thing, and repeat, why would anyone want to limit themselves?

Old 09-21-2018, 06:58 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,086,948 times
Quote:
Ok, then I DID get the whole thing, and repeat, why would anyone want to limit themselves?
Same reason people of all races, incomes,backgrounds etc cluster. Fear.

Very primitive instinct if you ask me. We haven’t evolved as much as we’d like to think we have.

Now back to the topic at hand....

Old 09-21-2018, 08:28 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,468,644 times
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Same reason people of all races, incomes,backgrounds etc cluster. Fear.

Very primitive instinct if you ask me. We haven’t evolved as much as we’d like to think we have.

Now back to the topic at hand....
I've been saying this...trying to explain the different mentality you should have to be able to enjoy what Dallas has to offer IN GENERAL.

People never understand so they lable me as a bitter Dallas homer.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:06 PM

18 posts, read 12,279 times
Both. Houston nightlife is overall better. The black nightlife is better as well. There is some nightlife in Dallas too but it is not on the level that is in Houston. There is just more places to go and do in Houston and that has been my experience. The going out scene in Dallas was a lot more "contained" if that makes any sense. Meaning, When you're in one part of the metroplex you are more than likely stuck there for the night because you wont drive 30 mins to another part of the metroplex in case the place you are at is whack. In Houston there is a much more flee flowing atmosphere to going out. If you are at one spot and it is whack you can literally drive 10 mins down the street to another spot and there will be a crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas