Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 08:43 AM

87 posts, read 104,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sorry but out of all the metro areas in the US, Boston is not one I prefer at all. "Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there."

This is funny, because I've always described DFW as "Nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit here."

I'm actually moving back to DFW from Boston (suburbs) next week. The main reasons are friends (in DFW), weather, and cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 09:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,128,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITinCC View Post
This is funny, because I've always described DFW as "Nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit here."

I'm actually moving back to DFW from Boston (suburbs) next week. The main reasons are friends (in DFW), weather, and cost.

Yep different bites for different likes.

Oh my gosh, the last time we were in Boston (a couple of years ago) I heard sirens non stop. I mean, non stop, nothing but sirens all day and all night. I think people just get used to that and tune it out or something, I don't know, but it was totally getting on my last nerve after a few days.

Good clam chowder though.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:14 AM

26 posts, read 78,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Stay in Boston. Uprooting children is majorly traumatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
That is a gross over generalization.

It depends on the kids, their ages, their personalities, etc.

When I was 10 my family moved to California. It was the best possible thing for me and was not traumatic in the least. Our move here is turning out to be beneficial for both our children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh please. I am a former military brat and military wife. Living in various areas of the country can be great for a family and for kids.
Some of the most amazingly mature, intelligent and well-rounded kids that I have met came from families that relocated more than once (work/military). But simply moving around won't do that; they had to process the changes in perspective instead of stewing in resentment. I think you can only "parent" so much of that into them. That's not meant as an indictment of one's parenting skills, nor any individual. Just saying that "it depends" (duh!) but it can also be great.

My family relocated to DFW from Toronto when I was 12. We drove down in August, in a car with a burgundy velour interior and no A/C. Utterly miserable. If you make a scouting trip in summer you are virtually guaranteed to make yourselves hate it.

OTOH scout it at the height of Boston winter and it might seem really great.

For that reason, if you are at all serious about this type of relocation I would suggest checking both seasons. I personally find the summer heat more tolerable after 7pm, when the sun and humidity are least intense.

Outdoor activity data point: The Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association (DORBA) has cultivated an impressive network of dirt trails for bicycling. It's not "mountain biking" compared to Moab or Angel Fire, but there are some nice pockets of escape from the concrete jungle.

Budget-stretching bonus: cars don't rust here. You can buy a new car and keep it on the road for 20 years or more with proper maintenance.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:08 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,258,699 times
OP, schedule a trip with the family and see. With the lower cost of housing, you could buy a home here that had a pool and a media room for the kids to help convince them.

Ultimately, you have to do what makes financial sense for your family, but as someone who has moved away and then come back to the Dallas area, I can tell you that as a total package (jobs/income/housing/weather/amenities/etc)... Dallas is really tough to beat IMO. You're a short, cheap flight away from beaches in Mexico or the Caribbean, which beats Cape Cod any day of the week. There are many large multinational companies that are headquartered here, so you have a lot of options for your career projection. The DFW metroplex has many affluent areas, so options for shopping, dining, entertainment, are all very good.

About the only thing I could give the Boston area the nod for would be seafood.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:18 AM

419 posts, read 554,754 times
Couldnt disagree more

Old 08-30-2018, 10:28 AM

8,169 posts, read 3,715,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
OP, schedule a trip with the family and see. With the lower cost of housing, you could buy a home here that had a pool and a media room for the kids to help convince them.

Ultimately, you have to do what makes financial sense for your family, but as someone who has moved away and then come back to the Dallas area, I can tell you that as a total package (jobs/income/housing/weather/amenities/etc)... Dallas is really tough to beat IMO. You're a short, cheap flight away from beaches in Mexico or the Caribbean, which beats Cape Cod any day of the week. There are many large multinational companies that are headquartered here, so you have a lot of options for your career projection. The DFW metroplex has many affluent areas, so options for shopping, dining, entertainment, are all very good.

About the only thing I could give the Boston area the nod for would be seafood.

Which islands? Airfares were crazy expensive all summer long pretty much to anywhere in the Caribbean, especially for non-stop flights. And very few non-stops (which are the only "short" ones) in general.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:36 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,090,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Hot tubs? Who uses a hot tub in the summer, those are for the fall/winter/spring.
The person I was responding to said you wouldn't go outside "6-7 months of the year".
Since it is not *unbearably* hot 6-7 months, I figured he was including the cold months. Hence, the hot tub suggestion.

Although we do often use our hot tub after swimming and then hop back in the pool.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:56 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,436,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Stay in Boston. Uprooting children is majorly traumatic.
Life is traumatic. Move now and they learn to adjust earlier in life. I love cold weather and the NE winter's were too long for me. Did you visit Plano or phone I terview only? Schools are great sports more competitive than you might think and population is diverse. Jump I'm the deep end now and swim.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:01 PM

26 posts, read 78,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keribeth818 View Post
Couldnt disagree more

Noted.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:20 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,785,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
You're a short, cheap flight away from beaches in Mexico or the Caribbean, which beats Cape Cod any day of the week.

No, it's not especially cheap to get to Mexico from DFW. And it's absolutely not cheap or especially easy to get elsewhere in the Caribbean. Houston has more direct flights to FAR more places in the Caribbean, as a point of comparison. The fact that Southwest is not allowed to fly direct to international destinations for idiotic political reasons doesn't help. And there is a HUGE difference in having destinations a couple hours away by car than in having convenient flights out of town, even if the destination is a superior version of what is closeby.

There are good reasons to like living in Dallas but I get annoyed when people exaggerate or tell untruths in DFW's defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas