Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 10:37 AM

932 posts, read 543,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenmills View Post
haven't been on here since we were relocating and you guys helped me choose a neighborhood.
Forgot my login --- had to make a new one.

But I remember there were many people relocating just like me and well, I wanted to check back in with you.

Are you happy?

I'm not trying to be a difficult one, but am just trying to figure out if it's me or what?

We've been in Texas a year and a half now, and when we were transferred here I kept hearing from so many people, "Oh You'll LOVE Texas"

I mean I was excited, what other state are people so proud of their state and brag about it and have their own state pledge that kids say in school?????

Anyway. I don't love it. I don't know why. I just don't. Will you let me vent for a minute? I really need to.

I don't see much that's special or unique, and well, I don't find people "Oh so friendly" like it was described to me.

I've lived in Mississippi, Georgia, Virginia, New York, Washington State, Nevada, and Massachusetts. I fondly have memories of them all, (except maybe Mississippi)

Point is, I'm not just homesick, Our jobs have let to a many transfers.

Here. Well, It's hot, there's a million chain restaurants and no food with uniqueness or culture behind it, lots of new buildings very little character, lots of strip malls, builder homes that all look alike with brick and stone. I don't like football, and I'm not Baptist, and I ate Whataburger and quite honestly I don't understand the fascination.

What I wouldn't give for the old oak trees of Savannah, the cobblestone streets of Virginia, the architecture or New Orleans, the intelligent minds of Higher Ed in Boston.

Here my favorite thing is the proximity to the airport, so I can leave.

OK now that it's out of my system. What's your success? Where are all the nice friendly people I heard so much about? What are your favorite places to go and soak up something uniquely Texas? Where are the hidden gems of culture?

Something unique to eat other than smoked meat and mexican?

Tell me why do you LOVE it? Please help me find it! I want to LOVE it too, I'm pretty down in the dumps over here.

Exactly in the same boat....we have almost the same experiences.
I don't understand the Texas Love either.

The things I miss.
1. East Coast Connectivity - You can just drive to almost anywhere on East coast to meet old friends/family etc if you are in the carolinas, Atlanta etc
2. Outdoor activities - I can't manage extreme weather.....tried and failed
3. Homes with no roaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,156 times
WOW shocked by all of the messages.

Thanks for all of those weighing in.

Sorry to have complained but I have just been feeling extra isolated this week.

To those who asked, we live in Colleyville just on the line with Grapevine. We chose this area because it has mature trees, is a little hilly, and close to Main Street Grapevine which is a nice little gem.

And to the one who talked about the things I crave being elite. I don't think they are.

Southeastern and Central Virginia is filled with suburban areas with charm and character and stone throws away from areas with unique feels. Visit places like Norfolk, Hampton, Richmond, Chesapeake, Tons of cobblestone and families in middle class america.

Savannah GA/Charleston SC is beautiful, old trees, charm character, and we lived there just fine in our budget.

Boston was pricey yes, but man did it have charm.

No we don't have family here. I have a sister who lives in Houston, this is the closest I've ever lived to her. She's new to Texas too.

We had no family in any of the other places we've lived, still this one has just been a harder pill to swallow.

Thanks for letting me vent, and I'm happy to hear from others who are new like me and share similar sentiments. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Maybe we need to have a lunch date! Any of the rest of you stay at home moms?

Old 11-07-2018, 11:57 AM

1,074 posts, read 641,609 times
Quote:
haven't been on here since we were relocating and you guys helped me choose a neighborhood.
Forgot my login --- had to make a new one.

But I remember there were many people relocating just like me and well, I wanted to check back in with you.

Are you happy?

I'm not trying to be a difficult one, but am just trying to figure out if it's me or what?

We've been in Texas a year and a half now, and when we were transferred here I kept hearing from so many people, "Oh You'll LOVE Texas"

I mean I was excited, what other state are people so proud of their state and brag about it and have their own state pledge that kids say in school?????

Anyway. I don't love it. I don't know why. I just don't. Will you let me vent for a minute? I really need to.

I don't see much that's special or unique, and well, I don't find people "Oh so friendly" like it was described to me.

I've lived in Mississippi, Georgia, Virginia, New York, Washington State, Nevada, and Massachusetts. I fondly have memories of them all, (except maybe Mississippi)

Point is, I'm not just homesick, Our jobs have let to a many transfers.

Here. Well, It's hot, there's a million chain restaurants and no food with uniqueness or culture behind it, lots of new buildings very little character, lots of strip malls, builder homes that all look alike with brick and stone. I don't like football, and I'm not Baptist, and I ate Whataburger and quite honestly I don't understand the fascination.

What I wouldn't give for the old oak trees of Savannah, the cobblestone streets of Virginia, the architecture or New Orleans, the intelligent minds of Higher Ed in Boston.

Here my favorite thing is the proximity to the airport, so I can leave.

OK now that it's out of my system. What's your success? Where are all the nice friendly people I heard so much about? What are your favorite places to go and soak up something uniquely Texas? Where are the hidden gems of culture?

Something unique to eat other than smoked meat and mexican?

Tell me why do you LOVE it? Please help me find it! I want to LOVE it too, I'm pretty down in the dumps over here.
Hi! Native Texan here for 50 years of life, but I feel much the same way you do- just happen to kinda be "stuck" here

I agree there is nothing that Mother Nature made to look at whatsoever. But the stuff that man-made is quite a bit better than most other cities of similar size and opportunity.

Food- I'm not at all a foodie so I cannot comment there

Friendliness- totally agree with you- always have since I was a kid and do not understand where the idea of friendly Texans comes from. I've lived in Corpus, Houston, Austin area and Dallas

Heat- yes, a deal-breaker for me too, and yet I have suffered through it all these years in the name of love (aside from being stuck as a kid).

I am a sports person, so that is where we do part ways, but if I weren't, there is also a lot of theatre, art and music here. There's pretty much everything here a person could want outside of the scenery as mentioned

Of the places you mention, I have lived in Washington State and spent months in Boston for a former job. I have also lived in California and Colorado. I have never for one day felt like I belong here in Texas (cue the Red Sea of idiocy still present), but moving away to those places for several years, there are things I appreciated once i got some perspective:

I feel that the ethnic, religious, sexual, ALL diversity is much better in Texas than WA or Boston, by a long shot. I am white, but my husband is black, and he had to travel a long way to find the like 2 black barber shops available. That would never be the case here. Most of my daughters' friends are of who knows what ethnic heritage, as everyone is a % of this, and a % of that. Not so much the case when I lived the other places (except Cali)

Boston 'burbs and Colorado both have comparable public schools to Texas 'burbs, but all the rest you name do not. If you have kids, you can appreciate the diversity and level of education in the public schools

I'm not a church person, but someone else mentioned and perhaps if that is your bag, that might be a place to start.

Sorry you are unhappy. I have felt out of place my entire life, but with my youngest about to graduate, maybe I can FINALLY move to, well, anywhere west just about.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:13 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,269,061 times
Quote:
WOW shocked by all of the messages.

Thanks for all of those weighing in.

Sorry to have complained but I have just been feeling extra isolated this week.

To those who asked, we live in Colleyville just on the line with Grapevine. We chose this area because it has mature trees, is a little hilly, and close to Main Street Grapevine which is a nice little gem.

And to the one who talked about the things I crave being elite. I don't think they are.

Southeastern and Central Virginia is filled with suburban areas with charm and character and stone throws away from areas with unique feels. Visit places like Norfolk, Hampton, Richmond, Chesapeake, Tons of cobblestone and families in middle class america.

Savannah GA/Charleston SC is beautiful, old trees, charm character, and we lived there just fine in our budget.

No we don't have family here. I have a sister who lives in Houston, this is the closest I've ever lived to her. She's new to Texas too.

We had no family in any of the other places we've lived, still this one has just been a harder pill to swallow.

Thanks for letting me vent, and I'm happy to hear from others who are new like me and share similar sentiments. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Maybe we need to have a lunch date! Any of the rest of you stay at home moms?
Yeah you probably should have moved to North Oak Cliff or Lakewood. North Oak Cliff is still somewhat affordable, would have provided alot more of the charm you are looking for, better hilly scenery and they decent schools.

Colleyville is a boring upper middle class suburb, for that kind of money you could probably move to or near Lakewood, at the very least Bishop Arts. Why would you pick Colleyville of all places if you wanted to live somewhere charming and quaint?

I hate to tell you this, but you arn't going to find cobble stone in middle class areas outside of a few midsized east coast metros, much less Colleyville. It just isn't a thing out west.

What more western cities do offer is some lovely streetcar suburbs like the ones I listed above. Those are very charming. Hopefully you guys are renting and moving is still and option, I bet you would be much happier down near BA

Old 11-07-2018, 12:32 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,092,961 times
I agree with your right to complain, I think most of it is just as valid as anyone else's opinion. I am just a bit surprised about the lack of food options. In my own suburb alone, I could probably eat at a different local store/less common chains (such as Korean or Californian chains which have only a handful of Texas locations, if that) every day for a year.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:58 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
You need to get out more if you haven't found anything but chain restaurants. (Yes, there are a lot of them...) There are LOTS of good, locally owned places, and I don't mean just Mexican and BBQ places. We frequent several excellent Mediterranean restaurants, as well as Italian and Asian. (I'm not a fan of Indian, but there are many good Indian places, especially in Irving.) There are also some amazing steakhouses!

There are SO many unique places in Texas, although many of them are not in the immediate DFW area. Have you visited San Antonio? Fredericksburg? Big Bend National Park? Palo Duro Canyon? Central Texas caverns? Tubing on the Guadalupe? Maybe you need to start making some weekend trips around the state. Start with the Hill Country, and then plan a week long trip to the Big Bend area. There are some AMAZING places in Texas!

No, Texas will never be the east coast. An "old" building here was built in the 1900s, while old buildings there were built before the 1770s. We don't have cobblestone streets, although we do have some ancient live oak trees in central and south Texas! Texas is a newer place, and that is just the way things are. (Yes, we have a lot of strip malls, and I don't like them, either.) Since you're in Colleyville, have you visited any of the historic places in Grapevine, such as the downtown area?

If you want to meet friendly people, get out of the city! Go to a small town, have lunch at a local cafe, and talk to the locals. You'll likely meet all sorts of friendly people. People here in the city are all about themselves, and it's harder to "break the ice" although it can still be done.

I totally agree that you need to join a community organization, volunteer, and get out a little more.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 6,153 times
Omg girl I’m the same way.

I laughed about your husband and the guys and football.

That’s how mine feels about every guy on our street owning a pickup but washing and waxing it and never hauling anything in the back.

This place isn’t so “nice”. People are self absorbed and when I lived in TN I had no state income tax and a lower cost of living.

You’re not alone.

If you ever want to get together for coffee, I’m down.

I’m an airline pilot so I travel a bit but when I’m here we can make it happen

I’m in Colleyville too.

My list of hates: tile floors, textured walls, builder homes, and little bitty tiny tiny road signs or none at all!

Old 11-07-2018, 02:59 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,119,967 times
Quote:

Have you made it down to Dallas or Fort Worth yet? They both have neighborhoods and some urban areas with charm, character, and a local feel. They'll have the largest collection of early-mid 20th century neighborhoods in all of DFW. Many of them do in fact have tree-lined streets. Most of the region's cultural attractions are in those two cities. Cedar Hill Park and Cedar Ridge Preserve just 20 min southwest of DT Dallas has some of the area's nicest scenery. It's easy to get stuck on some of DFW's worst qualities, especially if you live out in the 'burbs and only see most of the metro from one of the gazillion highways and access roads. But you can certainly find some gems if you know where to look.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:46 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,078,098 times
To answer your original question, I wouldn't say I "love" it here, but I like it here quite a lot. My children are doing better here, in large part due to the schools. At the high school level, there are so many more options and opportunities here than where we used to live. I don't know how long we will stay, but if we are here until my son graduates, I will say it was worth it. Additionally, I think it is nice and clean and new here. I enjoy going to shops and restaurants that are new to me. The weather outside of summer can be lovely. I love the big sky and how far you can see, and how the sunrises and sunsets take over the whole horizon. The only thing I really don't like are the roads and the drivers.

In addition, I have absolutely loved exploring Texas and neighboring states. We have driven to Hill Country, and the Gulf, and Oklahoma (eastern Oklahoma is breathtaking, IMO), and the Ozarks, and Colorado. This Thanksgiving we are going to New Mexico (also gorgeous). These have been great opportunities for our children to see new places.

And yes, I find people here friendly. I appreciate men in boots and hats who hold the door for me and nod their heads and say "ma'am." Store clerks are chatty and helpful. Everyone will tell you why they like Texas. Not everyone all the time, but overall I would say people are friendly.

We have also enjoyed many opportunities for live music here, in some lovely venues.

Quote:

(snip)

There is a saying: "Comparison is the thief of joy." Perhaps you could stop comparing DFW to historic places back east and everything you are used to. Because, honestly, I don't think you are being fair. Between Savannah, Charleston, historic Virginia, NOLA, and Boston, you have chosen five of the most historic and beautiful cities in the country, all of which happen to be coastal as well. And you want to compare that to a huge boom town metroplex on the southern edge of the prairie. It's like if I moved to Lincoln, Nebraska or someplace and complained that it wasn't Paris.

Yes it is hot here. It is also hot in Charleston, Savannah, Virginia and NOLA. There are swimming pools here and air conditioning.

There are tons of independent restaurants here. I can name 5 within half a mile from my house, including a coffee shop/bakery, a southern bistro, and Japanese/sushi. If you don't like Whataburger, don't eat there. It's no different than southerners touting Waffle House. It is not all BBQ and Mexican, although there is nothing wrong with BBQ and Mexican. Some Mexican food can be quite gourmet. Have you researched different independent restaurants? Also, what is wrong with the nicer chain restaurants? I really like the desserts at The Cheesecake Factory.

And I really for the life of me do not understand your comment about all the "builder homes that all look alike with brick and stone." My neighborhood is all custom homes, and I doubt I'm at your price point. I know that Colleyville and Southlake and areas are full of custom homes, from more modest houses to mansions. Just driving around, I see everything from new modern builds, to Tudor styles, to Italian inspired villas, to Texas vernacular.

What does being Baptist have to do with anything? DFW has more religious denominations than many places, with everything from Mormons to Muslims. In fact, DFW is probably less overtly Christian than Charleston, Savannah, and NOLA.

By the way, football is a big stinking deal in Georgia, South Carolina, and Mississippi. I'm not sure how this is just suddenly an issue in Texas.

As far as the "intelligent minds of higher education in Boston", there are plenty of people here who are highly educated and make excellent livings. Not everyone can, should, or even needs to go to an Ivy League school. That doesn't diminish their educations and career achievements.

Quote:
I was surprised to see so many Beto signs in my neighborhood, I felt less alone.

We've had a few awkward moments when others just assume you think like they do.

I mentioned something about never allowing a gun in my house at a pool party and everyone looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Or my poor husband trying to make friends with the guys in the neighborhood and they're all talking about college football and that man has never been to any kind of football game in his life nor does he care less.

I noticed your reply in another thread.

I don't mean to offend you, but you sound judgmental and somewhat posh. Your awkward moments didn't come from others assuming "you think like they do." Your awkward moments came from judging those who are not liberal, are church goers, who like BBQ and Mexican, who are gun owners, and who like college football.

You have put down everything from the schools to the churches to everyone's leisure activities. Maybe is isn't that everyone else isn't friendly and welcoming. Maybe the problem is that you aren't very accepting of things that are different from what you like.

I echo the suggestions of other posters, to get out and explore areas around DFW and the state and see what it has to offer. But unless you open your heart to it, I don't think it will make a difference.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 11-07-2018 at 04:39 PM..

Old 11-07-2018, 04:05 PM

4 posts, read 6,153 times
Wow Cal Girl.

She asked "Why do you love it because i don't?"

Seems like a fair request to me.

Your response is so bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas