Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:53 PM

37 posts, read 107,788 times

Advertisements

My wife is the process of her third interview with a company in Richardson. We currently live in Oregon on about 7 acres in the country. If she gets the position, we're moving. She originally went to school at SMU but it's been almost 20 years since we've been in the area so it's basically all unfamiliar at this point.

We want to live as close to the country as we can (or as close to what we have now)...so it's been suggested we look in places like Lucas, Parker, Murphy, Nevada, etc...something north/northest of Richardson.

We're interested in:
1. Good schools for the children - 9 year old, have heard Lovejoy ISD is very good?
2.Commute - she does not want to drive more than 45 minutes (that's with traffic)!
3. Want at least a few acres (I know I probably won't find 7 but 2-3 would probably be just fine).
4. A realator already emailed me some pics of some places in Lucas and they look nice and are in the Lovejoy ISD so the Lucas area may be a good starting point but we're open to all suggestions!

Basically I'm throwing it out there - any info on anything and anywhere for this possible move - schools, towns to live in that are as close to rural as you can get staying within the 45 minute drive parameter to Richardson. Low crime, nice areas, few acres....I'll take all the info, good, bad or indifferent.

Thanks in advance - Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 02:06 PM

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:09 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Price range?

All of the areas you mentioned will fit your criteria. The killer will be your budget. Parker and Lucas are NOT "cheap" by ANY MEANS to get land. I believe there is a home for sale on several acres on Dublin in Parker and the last I heard the asking price was $2M.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:25 PM

Max 450-500 but in realty we would prefer around $400k. I know with the realator that had previously sent us info, of all the ones he listed, I think the most expensive one was $465 and a majority of those were pretty nice, all in Lucas. I think the largest acreage was 3 on most of those, others being 2.5ish. Again, we are open to looking at anything....and we are not committed to a realator at this point, the one who sent us stuff before was just soliciting our business so again, will look at anyone's suggestions.....Thanks

Old 04-07-2008, 02:44 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
There is a realtor up in that area and I believe his name is Tom and last name starts w/ a G with his own agency. Has a GREAT website full of lots of info and he does AWESOME interior pics. You should be able to find something in your price range on the smaller acreage lots. The schools are good, commute would be fine for your wife, community great. LOVE the area.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Thanks - are you in Lucas or close to it??? Don't have a link to his website do you? You email me off list if needed...Thanks

Old 04-07-2008, 02:58 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
A couple morer places you may want to check that are within 45 minutes to Richardson are Wylie, Saint Paul, Josephine, Copeville. You can more than 5 acres if you go north in Meslissa and Blue Ridge.

The closest one would be Lucas yes.

Naima

Old 04-08-2008, 02:01 PM

If you want to send me some listings in these areas I would be glad to peek at them?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:34 PM

68 posts, read 233,442 times
Home prices are less expensive here in Dallas, but land closer to Dallas is at a premium. If I had about 500+K to spend, I would go to Prosper. It is more rural and the schools are good. Also, Celina is very nice. It is not as expensive as Prosper and the acreage would be a little more affordable. Celina is a football powerhouse and there is still a feeling of community there. Celina is more middle class than Prosper. I grew up in a little town called Farmersville, and I know you can get quite a bit for the $$there,

Examples of home prices in various communities:
All Communities within 45 min. of Richardson!

Celina 3000 sq. ft home on 2 acres-about 300K-built in 2000
Prosper 3000 sq. ft. on 2 acres-about 550K- built in 1997
Farmersville: 3200 sft. on 4.27 acres- about 419K built '03
Farmersville: 2000 sq. ft 10 acres built in '06-185K

Moderator-these are not listings..I am just giving them a comparison of home prices on acreage in these three communities..I am not a listing agent anyway...just help buyers..Amy

Old 04-08-2008, 02:56 PM

Thanks - will look at all these areas. I know my son is not a big sports kind of kid (at least not FB) - he likes golf. So I have to take into consideration how he is going to fit into a FB powerhouse kind of school - here he has not pressure and would like to keep it that way.........will look everywhere though. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas