Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 05:48 PM

27 posts, read 23,990 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Boston area, Quincy precisely. Have a pending offer working in Plano. According to the comparison of cost of living, my income in Plano will probably have more stretch, but not much. Wife is a nurse, need to find a job in the area if we decide to move. The expected total income in Plano will be around $160k. We plan to buy a house regardless moving or not.

We have three kids in grade school (the oldest kid will go to high school next year). They currently play club soccer and ice hockey.

Wife strongly wanted to move because of the cold & long winter in northeast and because the public schools in Quincy is not as good as in Plano/Frisco, at least from the scores on websites such as greatschools.com. The kids strongly oppose the idea of moving of course. I am hesitating because of the hot summer in Texas, as well as the disruption of kids' school and sports.

What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 05:55 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
You will be able to buy a much nicer house here than in Boston for the same price.

Do you want to deal with snow and ice or hot summers?

Have you visited here?

Where is your extended family?

Which job offers you a better situation in 5 years?

Have you or your wife ever lived anywhere else?

Old 08-29-2018, 06:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Plano has outstanding public schools at all levels.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:35 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You will be able to buy a much nicer house here than in Boston for the same price.

Do you want to deal with snow and ice or hot summers?

Have you visited here?

Where is your extended family?

Which job offers you a better situation in 5 years?

Have you or your wife ever lived anywhere else?
Price per square foot in Greater Boston is still a lot more than in Plano/Frisco. Schools in Plano are much better than Quincy. Your kids will be getting a Newton or Lexington level education for a metro west/central mass housing price. The only concern would be weather or not there are hockey programs available. As a MA transplant, the heat is much easier to take than months of cold and snow. The only drawback is the property tax rate. You’re paying roughly 2.5 - 3 percent of your assessed value every year. Remember there are lots of viable communities in North Texas. Not everyone has to live in West Plano.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:58 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I would move to DFW

Old 08-29-2018, 07:20 PM

27 posts, read 23,990 times
Thanks everyone for the input.

We don't have extended family in the States. Career wise, I am not 100% sure which area is better. I am in data analytics and predictive modeling field. Currently I am in insurance industry and would be in finance if I decide to move.

We had lived in the west coast for a few years and the kids like outdoor activities, if that is a factor.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:24 PM

19,768 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Price per square foot in Greater Boston is still a lot more than in Plano/Frisco. Schools in Plano are much better than Quincy. Your kids will be getting a Newton or Lexington level education for a metro west/central mass housing price. The only concern would be weather or not there are hockey programs available. As a MA transplant, the heat is much easier to take than months of cold and snow. The only drawback is the property tax rate. You’re paying roughly 2.5 - 3 percent of your assessed value every year. Remember there are lots of viable communities in North Texas. Not everyone has to live in West Plano.
DFW has had legit Jr. hockey for a good while. Seth Jones, Tyler Myers - more of a Houston kid, Blake Coleman, Nic Kerdiles and Stefan Noesen all play in the NHL now. Jones and Myers are legit stars. Coleman is carving out a strong career. Stefan Noesen has found a home in New Jersey.......he and my son began playing hockey at the old Ice Bound in Plano ~20 years ago. They were teammates for three years and opponents for several more. Stefan was on the Ice Jets club team that won a legit National Championship in '06 (or so). As a little kid Stefan used to cry because his parents would not allow him to play goalie.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:25 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoeTheRoamer View Post
Thanks everyone for the input.

We don't have extended family in the States. Career wise, I am not 100% sure which area is better. I am in data analytics and predictive modeling field. Currently I am in insurance industry and would be in finance if I decide to move.

We had lived in the west coast for a few years and the kids like outdoor activities, if that is a factor.
It is absolutely a factor. DFW is an incredibly underwhelming - dare I say lousy - place to live if you're into outdoor recreation.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:26 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Stay in Boston. Uprooting children is majorly traumatic.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:42 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
It is absolutely a factor. DFW is an incredibly underwhelming - dare I say lousy - place to live if you're into outdoor recreation.
This - you will spend probably 6 to 7 months out of the year inside to avoid the bad weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas