Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 01:17 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times

Advertisements

I've been in Dallas 4 years and the sweet spot for the worst hail from long time residents is parts of Ft. Worth, just north of Irving, Northwest Carrollton, Frisco, McKinney and Allen and points north. Plano proper can go either way as can Rowlett, Rockwall, and Garland ( I got hit in the April storm last year in east Plano).

The absolute worst spot is Denton which has several car dealerships which got hit repeatedly and has since invested in metal carports due to the frequency of Hail for their inventory.

Addison, Richardson, Dallas proper are generally safe. (Most Years)

But realize, Dallas and Denver have the worst hail in the nation. So there WILL be hail every year somewhere in the Metroplex and sometimes over the same areas twice of three times during hail season. March through June so our car and home insurance rates suffer because of this. Also, if you can help it get a house or apartment with a garage, or covered parking it is a huge plus. In fact they don'tt build houses here without garages I don't think.

Last edited by Taynxtlvl; 03-29-2019 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 02:20 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
I've been in Dallas 4 years and the sweet spot for the worst hail from long time residents is parts of Ft. Worth, just north of Irving, Northwest Carrollton, Frisco, McKinney and Allen and points north. Plano proper can go either way as can Rowlett, Rockwall, and Garland ( I got hit in the April storm last year in east Plano).

The absolute worst spot is Denton which has several car dealerships which got hit repeatedly and has since invested in metal carports due to the frequency of Hail for their inventory.

Addison, Richardson, Dallas proper are generally safe. (Most Years)

But realize, Dallas and Denver have the worst hail in the nation. So there WILL be hail every year somewhere in the Metroplex and sometimes over the same areas twice of three times during hail season. March through June so our car and home insurance rates suffer because of this. Also, if you can help it get a house or apartment with a garage, or covered parking it is a huge plus. In fact they don'tt build houses here without garages I don't think.

LOL. Live in East Dallas, close to downtown and we get hail 2 or 3 times each year.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:32 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
We got it it Wylie but, nothing like 2016. No broken windows and roof is fine, this time.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:28 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
LOL. Live in East Dallas, close to downtown and we get hail 2 or 3 times each year.
Yeah, I still remember the hail storm of June 2012. Started in The Colony, went across Richardson, down Central Expressway to Old East Dallas and Lakewood. I was standing in my Preston Hollow yard when one piece of hail spun out, it was the size of an oblong baseball. Just one piece of hail, how weird was that, I saved it in the freezer. While we escaped damage, all the cars and roofs from Hillcrest Avenue east were getting torn up. Anyway, it destroyed a lot of the historic tile, slate roofs and stained glass in East Dallas. So sad, I don't know if they were ever able to properly replace them. So, yes East Dallas gets hail. I do think Dallas is on a heat island though, many storms venture or turn to the north and south of them.

Last edited by elan; 03-30-2019 at 10:37 AM..

Old 03-31-2019, 12:47 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yeah, I still remember the hail storm of June 2012. Started in The Colony, went across Richardson, down Central Expressway to Old East Dallas and Lakewood. I was standing in my Preston Hollow yard when one piece of hail spun out, it was the size of an oblong baseball. Just one piece of hail, how weird was that, I saved it in the freezer. While we escaped damage, all the cars and roofs from Hillcrest Avenue east were getting torn up. Anyway, it destroyed a lot of the historic tile, slate roofs and stained glass in East Dallas. So sad, I don't know if they were ever able to properly replace them. So, yes East Dallas gets hail. I do think Dallas is on a heat island though, many storms venture or turn to the north and south of them.
I'm trying to remember if that was the hail storm that caused the most damage for us out of the one's we had before. There was no warning. We lived just east of Hillcrest. We had skylights that had endured hail before. Not this time. They were all smashed. The roof was a mess. And not a "we have insurance and would like a new roof" mess. It was truly bad.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:50 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
We got it it Wylie but, nothing like 2016. No broken windows and roof is fine, this time.
You in Wylie too? same here but we didn't get any hail at all, just rain. I was massively relieved when it was over. 2016 was the apocalypse!

Old 04-03-2019, 06:05 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Quote:
I'm trying to remember if that was the hail storm that caused the most damage for us out of the one's we had before. There was no warning. We lived just east of Hillcrest. We had skylights that had endured hail before. Not this time. They were all smashed. The roof was a mess. And not a "we have insurance and would like a new roof" mess. It was truly bad.
I remember that one too! We got sooooo lucky, because we had just moved from East Dallas to Coppell a few weeks before, but AFTER Coppell got hit with baseball sized hail. I remember being very thankful because I would have been driving down Central with my baby in the backseat when it hit.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:02 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
I've been here a short time...but I have not ever seen before what you see if you take a drive around the Star Creek neighborhood in Allen. Every other house has tarp or materials covering skylights or damaged roofs & shingles that were blown away.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:06 PM

6,696 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Tomorrow there’s a high chance of storms with VERY large hail (baseball size or larger) and a few tornadoes. Y’all be safe!

Old 04-17-2019, 08:39 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Tomorrow there’s a high chance of storms with VERY large hail (baseball size or larger) and a few tornadoes. Y’all be safe!
The weather men/women are saying anytime any time after 5 PM through about 10 PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: