Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 03:36 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
Dallas feels covertly racist to me. It is a city for White people. I moved to the area from up North and can feel the racism here.
I'd say it's "average" having worked in Chicago and Orlando. It's also hard to judge because many DFW whites aren't even from Texas. We have a ton of California and mid-west transplants and I honestly think the non-natives bring their own racial baggage. In my experience, the whites that give you 'side-eye' are usually from highly segregated communities outside of the South. Southern, native whites are pretty well accustomed to seeing black faces everywhere but those from up North or even mostly white rural states like OK, WV, KY etc, might get that "what are you doing here" look on their faces. Experienced this in a job interview at age 21. The hiring manager acted and sounded like the biggest hick I've ever seen, but I learned he was from Illinois (Ill State grad too).

We don't have a lot of overt racism. I think it's a mixture of covert prejudice combined with blacks just feeling uncomfortable in mostly white spaces. My first elementary school was almost entirely comprised of Mexican-born ESL students. My second was probably 60% white. Middle school was 40/40/20 white/black/Latino & Asian and high school was maybe 50% white and 30% black. Most black Dallasites probably have situations similar to mine, so it's not that strange to go from being the Token Black to being surrounded by blacks.

I think most blacks from other parts of the country aren't used to having that kind of racial fluidity on a daily basis and it can come as a shock. This is especially true of the educated/upwardly mobile set because they struggle to find other like-minded blacks. Their peers are just more spread out and it's harder to build those connections.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:05 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

Very fair take. With Chicago, moreso than any of the others, I think the quality of one's experience is based more on location and income - hence why its so polarizing. But personally, I think the social and business atmospheres there are better for blacks than a lot of other places. It gets a bad rap because of how stratified the city is and the fact that those stuck in bad neighborhoods have some of the more dangerous existences in the US, and that's a problem the city is working on solving. But I think Chicago gets overlooked in a lot of these discussions because of its reputation and to a lesser extent, because people perceive it as so cold they would never want to live there if they could choose somewhere like Atlanta, Houston, DC, etc.
Yeah I definitely see that with Chicago. I've been a couple of times to visit family and my experiences are always different with the city and always depends on what part or neighborhood were in. I honestly had Chicago on our list of places to move. I really liked Oak Park. Chicago has the perfect mixture of walkable, world class amenities, public transportation yet still somewhat affordable in comparison to LA or NY. But I won't lie, i'm a southern cat so I can't do 9 months of cold weather. That alone had me looking the other way even more so than the reputation. But you have to really do your research on where you want to stay in Chicago. REALLY RESEARCH. But I do like Chicago.

Quote:
I also think Dallas is a legitimately good city for black people, and I thought that when I lived there. There's a lot good about the area as a whole. But I just don't see it quite on the level of the other three cities when I take everything in totality. Socially, it (and moreso talking about the city than the burbs) just doesn't quite offer enough for me personally. I like not really having to leave the inner loop for anything but the airport and that was much harder to do there - though I lived in Dallas, I routinely found myself all over the region for activities, just because things aren't as centralized.

There are more middle-class majority-black suburbs in DFW than Houston, however, and I can totally understand how those that are looking for a more family-friendly lifestyle would prefer DFW or even Atlanta. You can find majority-black areas with decent schools in Houston, but they are fewer and further between.
EXACTLY! Dallas is not a bad city at all and even though the social scene is not as in your face as Houston, DC or Atlanta at least imo socially it still offers more than other places for you to have something to get into on a daily or weekly basis. Which is why I specifically stated I feel as though DFW offers more progressive options for Black Families than it's southern counterpart. For people looking for that family friendly atmosphere or more options for predominately black schools that are highly rated DFW just has more. Those are facts.

Houston has majority-black areas but like you stated those communities that are adjacent to good predominately black public schools or atleast with a good percentage of black students to teacher ratio are fewer. And more than likely in my case as a family man you still more than likely will have to go outside the loop if you want that combination.

And even when it comes to other cities DFW size it's really only 3 cities people consistently compare it to as being a better option for Black people. Not saying it's only 3 cities better than but not every Black person in America is looking to move to DC,Houston, or Atlanta. Some people might just want that more laid back vibe. There are much more less appealing major cities DFW size for Black people than it is better options for the Black experience in America.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:43 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Once you hit 30 Dallas becomes extremely attractive to black people. DFW has so many suburbs to choose from to raise a family. You can’t live the life in the fast lane forever because simply put the body will not allow you to do so.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:00 PM

406 posts, read 340,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I'd say it's "average" having worked in Chicago and Orlando. It's also hard to judge because many DFW whites aren't even from Texas. We have a ton of California and mid-west transplants and I honestly think the non-natives bring their own racial baggage. In my experience, the whites that give you 'side-eye' are usually from highly segregated communities outside of the South. Southern, native whites are pretty well accustomed to seeing black faces everywhere but those from up North or even mostly white rural states like OK, WV, KY etc, might get that "what are you doing here" look on their faces. Experienced this in a job interview at age 21. The hiring manager acted and sounded like the biggest hick I've ever seen, but I learned he was from Illinois (Ill State grad too).

We don't have a lot of overt racism. I think it's a mixture of covert prejudice combined with blacks just feeling uncomfortable in mostly white spaces. My first elementary school was almost entirely comprised of Mexican-born ESL students. My second was probably 60% white. Middle school was 40/40/20 white/black/Latino & Asian and high school was maybe 50% white and 30% black. Most black Dallasites probably have situations similar to mine, so it's not that strange to go from being the Token Black to being surrounded by blacks.

I think most blacks from other parts of the country aren't used to having that kind of racial fluidity on a daily basis and it can come as a shock. This is especially true of the educated/upwardly mobile set because they struggle to find other like-minded blacks. Their peers are just more spread out and it's harder to build those connections.
You are right. A lot of the racism definitely comes from the transplants who lived in highly segregated communities in CA, PA, etc. I've been noticing that a lot since I've moved to the area.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:25 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I can agree with that to an extent. Me being from East Texas, we've always had strong ties to Dallas. If you move out the Piney Woods after you graduate you more than likely moving to DFW. We have a lot of family in DFW so generally we know how to navigate through the city. We know the upward mobile Black areas to hit up when we're in town. Having lived in Atlanta that upward mobility is definitely more visible to the average visitor but for reasons not necessarily at fault by Black Dallasites or a strike against the city imo. What DFW falls short in upward mobility is the actual city of Dallas. In it's primarily Black suburbs south of is it's strengths.

Houston feels different as well, but it aint that much different and when you get older, family oriented and looking for that same type of black upward mobility in a middle class community adjacent to great schools with a significant black percentage you start to realize that feeling you had in your 20's is not that ideal AT ALL in your 30's with a wife and child. But hey, Turkey Leg Hut and Prospect Park still popping.

That aint just Dallas, That's America buddy. And funny you say you can feel the racism here. I had the same feeling when I went up North. I can feel the covert racism but I think that's anywhere I've been to in America. That's one reason African Americans migrate so much in this country. We're always trying to find that comfortable black space.

I can actually agree with this. Me personally, in the career path me and my wife are in we had more success in Atlanta than we ever did in Houston. The company that I work for, when I transferred to Atlanta from Houston, I rightfully earned my spot into a higher paying and meaningful position because certain people recognized my "worth" to the company. People without certain biases or discriminatory behavior. When I moved back to Houston, quite the opposite happened. Experienced actual discrimination with the people in charge of the company in Houston and took a pay cut. Ironically, the same company I've worked for has a headquarters located in DFW and I could make twice as much there than what i'm making here in Houston.

Now this is my experience, however while I was living in Atlanta not every Black person had those same experiences. I know a lot of people who moved to Atlanta thinking it was the land of milk and honey and found out the hard way it's not exactly like that. You're just another face in the crowd no different than any other city. I know a lot of successful black people in DFW just like I do in Atlanta. I know a lot of poor Black people in both cities as well. I personally think Atlanta does offer me more as a Black family man than in DFW. But it has it's problems just like any other city in America for Black people. It also has it's fair share of critics. You want to hear somebody complain about Atlanta talk to a single Black Woman. I ran into quite a few Black people in Atlanta who were ready to pack up in move up out of Atlanta. Ironically, they heard Texas was real nice and were ready to try either Houston or DFW.

Atlanta and Houston are on 2 different tiers imo. Houston is more like Dallas than people want to give credit to. I always hear mixed things about Chicago honestly from Black Chicagoan's. You see so many migrate to Atlanta,Houston and Dallas that I generally get polarizing views on Chicago. It's either not a place for Black people or there's no place like Chicago. Either way, you moved out of Chicago so meh. DC and Atlanta are pretty much outliers.

I will say attitudes and perceptions among Black people in this country are shifting as far as what they look for in a city or where they want to move to. Where not a monolithic people who crave the same things. DC and Atlanta are still some of the most popular cities for Black people to migrate to but not the only ones. Texas now has the most black people in the nation. Majority of those people are migrating to DFW and Houston. Don't think all those people haven't done their research(especially with the internet now) and aren't satisfied with their move. Cost of living is getting higher in a lot of cities that use to be really popular in Black culture back in the 90's and early 00's. Black people just like everybody else are looking for jobs, affordability and comfort. Texas,Georgia and North Carolina seem to be those spots for NOW. DFW aint that bad imo. Me and my wife are deciding between Atlanta and DFW to call our permanent home. I didn't have that same outlook on DFW 10 years ago when I choose to move to Houston over DFW. Things change.

Very respectable post.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:15 PM

139 posts, read 211,144 times
All of Dallas sucks. The northern suburbs rival LA in terms of shallow people and pretentiousness. The rest of the city speaks Spanish. It's just a terrible, terrible place and I'm glad I had the opportunity to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqmercado View Post
After being on this forum for a while, I have noticed a lot of hate towards Dallas and its suburbs east, west and south. I have also noticed a lot of love towards the northern suburbs. Is there just a large population of northern suburbanites on here? Are the northern suburbs really that awesome and everywhere else is so horrible? Is north just the hot place to live right now?

Old 07-06-2019, 05:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
What is included in the plethora of things you do back east?

I am a transplant from the Rocky Mountain states, so I totally understand why someone would prefer the outdoor activities available there to what is on offer here (I don't see any point in complaining about it though, not sure what someone would have expected by moving to the southern plains). I am just curious what you are missing from other regions.
East Coast—

Go down the shore
Broadway show
Little Italy
Central Park
Bryant Park
Historic walk downtown Philadelphia
Museums
Hike in the reservation
Snorkel in the Delaware
Hike in he Poconos
Bike along the canal
Kayak

Just a few.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:52 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Outdoor activity shortage? Depends, I can play golf year around here try that in the NE or Pittsburgh. Walkability? I walk my dogs any where from a short quarter of mile to two mies in our neighborhood. Even the short walk takes me through massive live oak trees and a lake and stream. The rumor about the area being flat and brown is just that a rumor in my neck of the woods in Plano. I do my walks af sun rise and do yard work I enjoy doing year around as the sun rises, I find it enjoyable to do then.

Anyone wanting mountains or an ocean within view does not have to move here to find that is not here. Anyone wanting a cool summer temperature does not have to move here to learn we do not have that. I suspect those who move here then complain about those things not being here did not really know themselves enough to recognize the misfit. So they learned self here if nothing else.

That's a fair point actually.
I mean I technically agree that Dallas in theory lacks behind in outdoor activities but the way you put it does bring up a good argument.
Unless one is a water-sports or mountain enthusiast and his/her outdoor activities revolve around that, Dallas (as with virtually any big city to be fair) enables people to do whatever outdoor activity one wants.
You can hike, you can bike, heck there are even some lakes where you can do a bit of water specific activities. There even is a drop-zone in the vicinity to skydive.
Now sure for some, perhaps even many of these you'd have to drive to get there but let's be realistic about it. Even in a city with a great reputation for outdoor activities you often have to do that.
Let's take Denver for example. You have the mountains there, that is great and trumps anything Dallas has easily BUT it's not like most people there can exit their front door and just walk a few miles down the road to enjoy them. They still have to get in a car and drive there... and it's actually not that short of a trip even.

Perhaps what Dallas lacks for many is the mindset of an "active" city. You have to seek it out yourself in Dallas, it's perhaps not that integrated into the city as in other places with a better reputation for outdoor activities. But other than the 2 major things lacking the opportunities are certainly there if one looks for them.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:46 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDavisCSA View Post
All of Dallas sucks. The northern suburbs rival LA in terms of shallow people and pretentiousness. The rest of the city speaks Spanish. It's just a terrible, terrible place and I'm glad I had the opportunity to leave.
I don't know why you specifically cite the northern suburbs rivaling Los Angeles on shallowness/pretentiousness. The central city neighborhoods are more like Los Angeles' West Side neighborhoods. Plano/Frisco are more like Orange County or Scottsdale, Arizona, which is a LA/OC wannabe suburb.

The similarities observed both in Dallas and the north Dallas suburbs to LA/OC/Scottsdale in terms of attitude can get annoying at times. I do think this poster is being a bit dramatic though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
That's a fair point actually.
I mean I technically agree that Dallas in theory lacks behind in outdoor activities but the way you put it does bring up a good argument.
Unless one is a water-sports or mountain enthusiast and his/her outdoor activities revolve around that, Dallas (as with virtually any big city to be fair) enables people to do whatever outdoor activity one wants.
You can hike, you can bike, heck there are even some lakes where you can do a bit of water specific activities. There even is a drop-zone in the vicinity to skydive.
Now sure for some, perhaps even many of these you'd have to drive to get there but let's be realistic about it. Even in a city with a great reputation for outdoor activities you often have to do that.
Let's take Denver for example. You have the mountains there, that is great and trumps anything Dallas has easily BUT it's not like most people there can exit their front door and just walk a few miles down the road to enjoy them. They still have to get in a car and drive there... and it's actually not that short of a trip even.

Perhaps what Dallas lacks for many is the mindset of an "active" city. You have to seek it out yourself in Dallas, it's perhaps not that integrated into the city as in other places with a better reputation for outdoor activities. But other than the 2 major things lacking the opportunities are certainly there if one looks for them.
I think Dallas lacks the mindset of an active city. I haven't had issues participating in outdoor activities here. In the summer months, I have made swimming more of a focal point because that makes sense.

I think you made a great point about Denver. Something that people do not realize about Denver is that getting to the mountains isn't all that easy. All the mountain resort towns are 1.5 - 3 hours from Denver. On a Saturday morning in the winter months, it's a mad scramble to get out of the city to go to any of the ski resorts. It's a little easier in the summer to get out to the mountains to hike, but it's still a drive to do anything if you want to do it. For hiking, Phoenix from October 15 to April 15 is debatably better than Denver because some key hiking spots (Piestewa, Camelback) are conveniently located within the city.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:36 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
EXACTLY! Dallas is not a bad city at all and even though the social scene is not as in your face as Houston, DC or Atlanta at least imo socially it still offers more than other places for you to have something to get into on a daily or weekly basis. Which is why I specifically stated I feel as though DFW offers more progressive options for Black Families than it's southern counterpart. For people looking for that family friendly atmosphere or more options for predominately black schools that are highly rated DFW just has more. Those are facts.

Houston has majority-black areas but like you stated those communities that are adjacent to good predominately black public schools or atleast with a good percentage of black students to teacher ratio are fewer. And more than likely in my case as a family man you still more than likely will have to go outside the loop if you want that combination.
This isn't as true anymore. The southern Dallas County suburbs, outside of Cedar Hill and most of DeSoto, are not desirable. Lancaster and Duncanville have a few okay to nice neighborhoods, but overall not the preferred cities at all and the school scores reflect that. South Grand Prairie has a lot of Blacks too, but again the schools are just average. Don't need to get into Mesquite or Balch Springs. The Arlington schools are poor performing to barely average outside of its favored SW quadrant. On the Fort Worth side, Crowley, Everman, etc. are all poor performing.

I also think you're really cutting Houston short with regard to the Black population in its suburbs. There have been huge increases in the Black population in the desirable suburbs from Pearland to Sugar Land/Missouri City to unincorporated Richmond, to South Katy, and now South Cypress. These areas generally have good to great schools too, outside of some areas sprinkled in between like North Katy but even North Katy is just average and is getting much better. Other sides like the NE suburbs have seen increases too, but the school scores still remain on the lower side.

In general, DFW public school scores are better than Houston's overall and that's due to how great the Collin County schools are (and some districts in NE Tarrant, SE Denton County).

Quote:
And even when it comes to other cities DFW size it's really only 3 cities people consistently compare it to as being a better option for Black people. Not saying it's only 3 cities better than but not every Black person in America is looking to move to DC,Houston, or Atlanta. Some people might just want that more laid back vibe. There are much more less appealing major cities DFW size for Black people than it is better options for the Black experience in America.
Dallas is a great city for Blacks but you're selling the others short, especially Houston. DFW is in the best economic times ever so it's attracting people from all backgrounds. Many are just looking for an opportunity somewhere. I believe this is what's increasing the ratchetness level in DFW, which has really gone up in recent years. Some of that stuff you're trying to escape from Houston, or imply Atlanta has, is appearing all over DFW, meanwhile it appears Houston is cooling off there. The areas in DFW I used to stay in are not the same. I have a friend who lives in a nice "urban style" apartment complex in the Mid-Cities area, and the people who lived there were... less than desirable. It's a great example of not judging a book by it's cover because on the outside you'd think this was a very nice complex. Heck someone stole some of the dumbbells from the weight room so they had to install cameras inside.

So yes, DFW is great for all families but there are other things going on too. It's not as laid back as it used to be with all the fast growth and people moving there from outside the South, and the vibe has honestly never been that way for me.

Last edited by DabOnEm; 07-08-2019 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas