Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 09:15 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Dictionary definition of rich: having a great deal of money or assets; wealthy.
Ok, what is a "Great deal of money or assets" exactly? Everyone has a different opinion of it. Your household income is in the mid six figures, congrats, your family is doing well but can you and your spouse stop working and retire right now? No? You are forced to work? Then I don't think you are "rich". If you answered yes, then I truly consider you rich. It sounds like that is shocking to you and you simply can't believe it. I disagree with your opinion but at the same time know it is a subjective topic that is very debatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. We simply disagree across this topic.

2. There is a vast gulf between someone/a couple earning $700K and the 1,000 richest families in America. My definition of rich is $20/25MM net worth or so. The 1,000th richest person in the US has a net worth of around $750MM. Depending upon whom you believe there are roughly 156,000 US families worth $25MM or more.

The ortho-surgeon making $700K or so with three kids in private K-12 wondering if s/he'll have to borrow money if one of the kids gets into Harvard and another into Harvey Mudd isn't rich. The guy sitting in a coffee shop in Sterling City writing a $5MM check to muscle in on an oil deal is.

Further tho, an ortho-doc who has earned $700K for a few decades with prudent investing may become rich.
You and I have similar views on what is truly rich.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:12 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
I think it depends on how much of your assets are easily liquidated. We look much wealthier than we are because we own part of several businesses. Because of the ownership agreements, we can't easily liquidate our part of the businesses so the businesses don't affect our income on a day-to-day basis. Hopefully, we will eventually sell them at a profit but that's not guaranteed.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I think it depends on how much of your assets are easily liquidated. We look much wealthier than we are because we own part of several businesses. Because of the ownership agreements, we can't easily liquidate our part of the businesses so the businesses don't affect our income on a day-to-day basis. Hopefully, we will eventually sell them at a profit but that's not guaranteed.
Good point. Defining the word rich can be very tricky.

Old 08-10-2022, 04:25 PM

772 posts, read 935,653 times
It takes ~$11 million in net worth to be in the top 1% of household wealth. It's like $6 mil to be in the top 2%, and $3 mil to be top 5%... We all have different ideas of what it means to be rich, but for most people, being in the top 5% is a pretty good life to have. No, you may not be able to quit your job on a whim early in life, but that is often more about your standard of living/expenses than actually having the ability to quit your job and live off your money. I bet a lot of us on here could retire early if we were willing to move to a place, probably a foreign country, with a low cost of living.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
It takes ~$11 million in net worth to be in the top 1% of household wealth. It's like $6 mil to be in the top 2%, and $3 mil to be top 5%... We all have different ideas of what it means to be rich, but for most people, being in the top 5% is a pretty good life to have. No, you may not be able to quit your job on a whim early in life, but that is often more about your standard of living/expenses than actually having the ability to quit your job and live off your money. I bet a lot of us on here could retire early if we were willing to move to a place, probably a foreign country, with a low cost of living.
When I said not work, I am not referring to going and living in a poorer country. I am also not talking about moving to a lower cost of living state or city in the US. I am talking about living a similar type lifestyle you are living today and you do not have to work for the rest of your life. That is my definition of rich.

6+ million and no debts at all would be enough to to that.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:41 PM

11 posts, read 8,880 times
Last week we missed a turn off Randol Mill Ave in Keller and ended up on this road with homes that has multiple garages (one has as many as 8 garages) and some homes with enough acreage to let their horses run around in the front yard. It could be that this is the typical standard of living in Keller as we are used to the cookie-cutter subdivision type of homes south of I-20, but I think if you can afford/maintain/stock these houses with quality furniture and fill the garages with classic/collector cars, then I think you have made it in DFW (and maybe in other states also) no matter what income bracket you are in.

Old 08-22-2022, 01:56 PM

307 posts, read 477,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. We simply disagree across this topic.

2. There is a vast gulf between someone/a couple earning $700K and the 1,000 richest families in America. My definition of rich is $20/25MM net worth or so. The 1,000th richest person in the US has a net worth of around $750MM. Depending upon whom you believe there are roughly 156,000 US families worth $25MM or more.

The ortho-surgeon making $700K or so with three kids in private K-12 wondering if s/he'll have to borrow money if one of the kids gets into Harvard and another into Harvey Mudd isn't rich. The guy sitting in a coffee shop in Sterling City writing a $5MM check to muscle in on an oil deal is.

Further tho, an ortho-doc who has earned $700K for a few decades with prudent investing may become rich.
How is it even remotely possible that someone making $700k even with three kids in private school is living paycheck to paycheck?

$700k gross = $500k or so take home. 3 kids in private school - lets say they're all at St. Mark's. $90k/yr. $410k left. Lets just be generous and say they live in a $2M home so their payment is about $8000/month PITI or $96k/yr. $314k left. Lets just say they love to lease expensive luxury cars, so $1500/mo for each parent. $278k left.

Note that we haven't even blown half their income, and we're down to living expenses, vacations, and disposable income, and we have $278k left.

How the hell is this family living paycheck to paycheck unless they just light money on fire?

These people are rich - they're just idiots.

Old 08-22-2022, 02:16 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
These people are rich - they're just idiots.

It's just a made up case. It's not 'real', and in those cases, they always count any and all kinds of maximized savings as gone income.

Old 08-22-2022, 02:18 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
It's just a made up case. It's not 'real', and in those cases, they always count any and all kinds of maximized savings as gone income.
Right. Anyone making $700K better be cramming into 401K/IRA and DCA'ing or similar into various long term instruments/funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas