Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 09:50 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,326,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
I have some friends that live in North Dallas and they own 4 single family homes (All paid off) and they make 700k per year and have no debt and they do not consider themselves rich. I don't either. I think they are "Well off" but not rich.

I personally think rich means you live comfortably and don't have to ever worry about working for the rest of your life.
Your friends are rich, no question about it. Technically they’re considered “ultra-rich” at that income level. They would even be considered “ultra rich” in NYC where $585k is the cutoff for top 5% income.

They - and you - are completely delusional to think someone in the top fraction of the top 1% are not rich. And especially with 4 mortgage free properties. And I assume ample investments or else what are they doing with that kind of annual cash flow…

If the top 1% is not rich, then who is? Seriously, I expect a reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 11:04 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,635,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Your friends are rich, no question about it. Technically they’re considered “ultra-rich” at that income level. They would even be considered “ultra rich” in NYC where $585k is the cutoff for top 5% income.

They - and you - are completely delusional to think someone in the top fraction of the top 1% are not rich. And especially with 4 mortgage free properties. And I assume ample investments or else what are they doing with that kind of annual cash flow…

If the top 1% is not rich, then who is? Seriously, I expect a reply.
In my original post I explained my definition of truly rich/wealthy means you no longer have to work for anyone. Although our friends are very comfortable, they are in their 40's and still have no choice but to work. That to me isn't rich. Sure, they are very comfortable and on the right path to financial freedom, but as comfortable as they are, they cannot retire and are forced to show up to work each and every day just like us. Also, they haven't always made that kind of money, only for a few years. They have always been financially responsible with their money though and are living debt free now.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:24 AM

588 posts, read 488,933 times
To be honest, $2.5 million in assets and $700k per year earnings for two full time professionals isn't exceptional.

Unless you have enough money to never have to worry about salary, you aren't wealthy, just better off.

To feel wealthy and not having to worry about work, expenses, healthcare, accidents, retirement etc, you need enough assets to generate at least $ 1million per year without having to work.

Old 08-06-2022, 12:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,326,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Hope20 View Post
To be honest, $2.5 million in assets and $700k per year earnings for two full time professionals isn't exceptional.

Unless you have enough money to never have to worry about salary, you aren't wealthy, just better off.

To feel wealthy and not having to worry about work, expenses, healthcare, accidents, retirement etc, you need enough assets to generate at least $ 1million per year without having to work.
By definition, they ARE exceptional. They make more money every year than 99% of other American households and probably 99.9% of the entire world’s population.

There are really F’d up views on money in this forum.

Old 08-06-2022, 12:44 PM

578 posts, read 480,362 times
It depends on whether your income are sustainable and transferable.

$700k from two-physician family or two-Googler in their 30s is definitely rich. They will continue making $700k and more for decades and reach $10M+ NW soon.

$700k from Ebay sales, website ads, crypto, day-trading could be a one-off. Most time it's not even a real number, but an expected one, calculated by multiplying occasional $60k month by 12. In this case even "$7M" is not rich enough.

Old 08-06-2022, 01:10 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,667,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalistiq View Post
I don’t care what they consider themselves. They are rich. A $700,000 household pre-tax income is in the 99th percentile of all US households.
Yup, and this is the problem with the upper middle class (petite bourgeoisie) and the aristocracy class proper. Everybody self-reports as middle hyphen this, middle suffix that. Any monkier of income modesty they can hide behind for self-preservation reasons. Nobody likes owning their class privilege in this Country. Remember, acknowledging "class" in America is to reveal the denied panty line of the narrative of a classless society behind the exceptionalism mythology of our bifurcated society.

Old 08-06-2022, 01:11 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,667,650 times
Quote:
Of course, this place is an "upper middle" (as they self-report themselves anyways) echo chamber. They've always spoken of the "poors" in the third person here.

Old 08-06-2022, 01:15 PM

19,874 posts, read 18,152,644 times
Quote:
By definition, they ARE exceptional. They make more money every year than 99% of other American households and probably 99.9% of the entire world’s population.

Maybe. But $700K income and some free and clear residential RE per se isn't ultra-wealthy by any definition I'm aware of. Obviously if the RE includes a place in The Dakota or on Jupiter Island that'd change things.

Where this get's interesting is it may be the $700K salary(ies) have been augment with liquidity events (MA and or options and or big retention/performance bonuses etc.).

Old 08-06-2022, 01:30 PM

19,874 posts, read 18,152,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Yup, and this is the problem with the upper middle class (petite bourgeoisie) and the aristocracy class proper. Everybody self-reports as middle hyphen this, middle suffix that. Any monkier of income modesty they can hide behind for self-preservation reasons. Nobody likes owning their class privilege in this Country. Remember, acknowledging "class" in America is to reveal the denied panty line of the narrative of a classless society behind the exceptionalism mythology of our bifurcated society.
Stow that. All of it. I've done exceptionally well for a lot years and I have no problem being frank about it. I'm not modest nor do I live in any fear of judgment from people like you. My privilege was growing up picking cotton, milking goats, spending summers on a brush hog, hauling hay, cutting sheep - fun stuff like that.

I've also studied economics for a few decades.......I've never heard anyone claim that the US is a classless society.

Old 08-06-2022, 01:48 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,130,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
In my original post I explained my definition of truly rich/wealthy means you no longer have to work for anyone. Although our friends are very comfortable, they are in their 40's and still have no choice but to work. That to me isn't rich. Sure, they are very comfortable and on the right path to financial freedom, but as comfortable as they are, they cannot retire and are forced to show up to work each and every day just like us. Also, they haven't always made that kind of money, only for a few years. They have always been financially responsible with their money though and are living debt free now.
You don't have to be wealthy to retire. It's about money management. People are retiring with far less income your friends, but they are not wealthy. Check out the FIRE Movement groups in various forums.

The FIRE Movement Is Alive and Well
https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement...alive-and-well
Quote:
Perhaps the best known of them is Adeney, who retired from his job as a software engineer at age 30 with $600,000 in savings and investments and a paid-off house. Now 47, Adeney continues to keep his expenditures low. His annual spending of about $20,000 includes groceries, household costs, and entertainment for himself and his teenage son—despite an income that could support much higher outlays, thanks to his carpentry hobby and the success of his blog. He donates about $100,000 to charity each year, and with friends he runs a coworking and events space in his town of Longmont, Colo. Although Adeney got divorced in 2018, he and his ex-wife remain financially independent after splitting a comfortable surplus of money. Divorce is “much less stressful if you aren’t also fighting over money with your former spouse,” says Adeney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas